Heinzmann front hub motor

JohnDeere8530

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2010
I have converted my brother's manual wheelchair into a trike which basically involves mounting the front half of a 'shopper bike' to his wheelchair which then raises the front wheels.

I have now electrified this by the addition of a Heinzmann 53 nm front hub motor onto the the 20" wheel.

I would like to add disc brakes to this, it only does 12mph so the brakes are really more for cosmetic reasons. Does anyone know if I can get a disc to bolt onto the heinzmann motor ? It will have to be approx 225mm and bolt onto six bolts spaced around the outside of this hub at very approximately 180mm diameter. ie it is not of iso standard :(

In addition there is no mounting place for the calliper on the front fork. I could weld the right bits on, but this would mean re-powder coating these forks again. I understand there are clamps that bolt onto the forks, anyone recommened one and do they all come in the same sizes ? Incidentally it looks as if there will only be 10 - 12mm from the inside edge of the forks to where the disc will go. Is this enough ?

I look forward to anyone's advice on this, I dont know a great deal about bikes !

Attachments

Last edited: