Hello all! New joiner here.

davlaw2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 19, 2023
Hello everyone. I'm Dave, I'm 64 and I've been a cyclist for a very long time. I recently bought my first electric bike. It is a second-hand Viking Freedom 700c. It's simple and retro, like me.
It has recently developed a fault so I will be asking for advice on how to diagnose it if anyone is able to assist. Many thanks!54658

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
More detailed photos of the motor, the battery and controller (probably both tucked into that bag) and display would be a good start; and a more detailed description of the fault.

Good luck, someone should be able to help you sort it.

An easy first thing to check is the connector from the motor, maybe half way up the front fork. (I think it's front hub?). Make sure that is really tightly pressed in so the arrows meet. While looking in that region make sure the cable exists the motor downwards; it looks neater to have it go straight up but can easily collect water into the motor.

davlaw2000

Oct 19, 2023
More detailed photos of the motor, the battery and controller (probably both tucked into that bag) and display would be a good start; and a more detailed description of the fault.

Good luck, someone should be able to help you sort it.

An easy first thing to check is the connector from the motor, maybe half way up the front fork. (I think it's front hub?). Make sure that is really tightly pressed in so the arrows meet. While looking in that region make sure the cable exists the motor downwards; it looks neater to have it go straight up but can easily collect water into the motor.
Thanks for the quick response. I've created a separate thread for the fault. I'll add further pictures as you suggest.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Welcome to the forum Dave , the forum has a few good members who can help you out plus the not so helpful. You will soon be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

davlaw2000

Oct 19, 2023
Welcome to the forum Dave , the forum has a few good members who can help you out plus the not so helpful. You will soon be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff.
Thanks! I hope I can help in the future too! It would be unfair to just solve my problem and then disappear.

Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks! I hope I can help in the future too! It would be unfair to just solve my problem and then disappear.
Many do though, that's th choice one makes on open forums.

ForViking

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2023
Dublin, Ireland
HI Dave, I recently did the same and have had to put a 6-speed derailleur on the back as the 3-speed hub was missing. Weather hasn't been conducive to much pedalling but tinkering in the shed has made up for it!

Hightechpete

Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2018
west Wales
Welcome Dave, love the neatness of the bike especially the hidden cables, I've not seen that model before. I see you like painting.