Hello and help!

anchorless

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2017
West Yorkshire
Hi All

Completely new to the scene, been considering a bike for a while but finally decided to properly look at it. Been browsing the site most of the day and must admit am completely overwhelmed!

I'm looking for a bike to commute to work on - it's only about 3 miles but is entirely uphill (yorkshire!) so something with a bit of oomf is required

but..i also want this to be a project - so ideally i want to make my own from scratch, by converting an existing (ideally mountain) bike (i don't have this yet). I'd like the project to take a few weeks and something to get my teeth into so am not to keen on a plug and play type kit - i would like to assemble all the parts myself - is this a good idea / feasible? I'm comfortable with electronics/soldering/cutting/drilling etc

As for budget, i have no idea - the cheaper the better - i'm hoping around £500 or less excluding the bike

Am I being completely unrealistic here? any pointers are welcome

thanks in advance!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello anchorless,

Usually, conversion is the way to get something special that you can't find in a ready build and/or to save you a lot of money. For your budget, I would have thought that you should look into ready made bikes first.
From Woosh, there is the £699 Sirocco.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sirocco

Its range is about 30 miles. That bike has a 10AH battery (you can have it also with 13AH or 15AH battery) and is all fitted out for all weather riding.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

Hi All

As for budget, i have no idea - the cheaper the better - i'm hoping around £500 or less excluding the bike
£500 should be more than adequate if you don't mind using used parts. Do you want it to be legal?
How fast do you want to go?
How heavy are you?

I know somebody near you that has a complete electric bike that got run over, so the wheel is bent and so is the frame. All the electrical parts are OK, so you can transpose them. He doesn't want much for it.

• Useful

anchorless

Just Joined
Jan 4, 2017
West Yorkshire
Thanks Woosh, but part of this is that i really want a project and i want a mountain bike type frame

£500 should be more than adequate if you don't mind using used parts. Do you want it to be legal?
How fast do you want to go?
How heavy are you?

I know somebody near you that has a complete electric bike that got run over, so the wheel is bent and so is the frame. All the electrical parts are OK, so you can transpose them. He doesn't want much for it.
used parts, don't mind so long as they are up to the job
legal, ideally
speed, really don't mind, just want to take some of the effort out of hills
i'm about 12st

sounds interesting. do you have any more info re specs etc?

Oakley_1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 24, 2016
oakley,hampshire
Thanks Woosh, but part of this is that i really want a project and i want a mountain bike type frame

used parts, don't mind so long as they are up to the job
legal, ideally
speed, really don't mind, just want to take some of the effort out of hills
i'm about 12st

sounds interesting. do you have any more info re specs etc?

Hi search on this thread for the bike I built sounds like something you are looking for
Bike built and ready to go