Hello from Finland!

Old1Eye

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2017
Finland, Oulu.
Hei all,

British chap living in north Finland here.

Just bought an eMTB about 2 months ago for work commuting.

Its by a Swedish company i think, called White.

Here is a link : http://whitebikes.com/bikes/17-xc-e-275-hill/

I habe added a few things like mudguards, speedo, bottle cage straps and bottle cage, flat pedals/mtb, chain protection strip.

It does 30kmh at full charge for a few minutes and then slowly drops to 25kmh when the battery is down to one of four bars.

It is a shengyi 250w motor i think.

Nice bike and rides lovely, but i have the need for speeed now LOL!

Going to see how it rides through 6 months of snow soon.

Any tips for an ebike in - 40'c weather?

Oh and still need to get lights fitted as we will be down to 3 hours of daylight a day in a couple of months.

Reactions: LeighPing

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Welcome. As far as your person (clothing) and your tyres (spikes) are concerned, I reckon the locals will be the best ones to advise you. As for the mechanics and electrics, I'm a bit clueless on that front but you probably want a neoprene battery sleeve.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I've ridden at minus 10 (only non electric) and it's a serious business. Heavy breathing from exertion isn't much fun and keeping hands, feet and lower legs warm isn't easy but important. Even on a still day you create your own head wind on a bike which makes it feel colder than the true temperature.
I don't know at what temperature the battery will suffer permanent harm but range definitely takes a big hit in colder weather, even above freezing which is the only time I use my electric bike. Spikes are good on ice, hard packed snow or ice under snow but I'm not sure if they help that much on loose snow which is a bit like riding over soft sand.
You may have to remove your mudguards unless they have good clearance as the snow soon builds up under them.
Welcome and let us know how you go on.
Dave.

Reactions: Old1Eye

Old1Eye

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2017
Finland, Oulu.
I've ridden at minus 10 (only non electric) and it's a serious business. Heavy breathing from exertion isn't much fun and keeping hands, feet and lower legs warm isn't easy but important. Even on a still day you create your own head wind on a bike which makes it feel colder than the true temperature.
I don't know at what temperature the battery will suffer permanent harm but range definitely takes a big hit in colder weather, even above freezing which is the only time I use my electric bike. Spikes are good on ice, hard packed snow or ice under snow but I'm not sure if they help that much on loose snow which is a bit like riding over soft sand.
You may have to remove your mudguards unless they have good clearance as the snow soon builds up under them.
Welcome and let us know how you go on.
Dave.
Yeah i was riding without e power last winter in down too - 40'c on some days.
Last winter it snowed for 8 months lol.

My main concern is the battery.

Was thinking, as im making my own light system of the battery, i could also make a battery cover with a heated matt inside.
Can use one from a car heated door mirror.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sambal who frequents the forum is in Sweden and rides in similar conditions, he would be a good source for riding info.

Reactions: D C and Old1Eye
D

Deleted member 4366

You don't need a heat mat for the battery, if you mean for heating the battery while you ride the bike . They heat up themselves when you start using them. Obviously, it's not a good idea to let the battery freeze down to minus 40 deg in your garden shed.

Although nearly all batteries are removable for charging, I don't like the idea of doing that, especially if it doesn't have a power switch to switch it off when re-connecting because you always get a spark which will eventually erode the contacts.

Old1Eye

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2017
Finland, Oulu.
You don't need a heat mat for the battery, if you mean for heating the battery while you ride the bike . They heat up themselves when you start using them. Obviously, it's not a good idea to let the battery freeze down to minus 40 deg in your garden shed.

Although nearly all batteries are removable for charging, I don't like the idea of doing that, especially if it doesn't have a power switch to switch it off when re-connecting because you always get a spark which will eventually erode the contacts.
I always have to remove the battery for charging as i cant bring the bike in at work.

So if i store the battery inside untill i ride then it should be fine in winter?

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Hello and welcome/tervetuloa! Oulu is the winter cycling capital of the world, or at least Finland :-D
Keep your hands, head and feet warm. It takes trial and error to find out what suits you in the cold. It's tricky not to freeze or over heat when riding during the winter. I've noticed ~30% drop in range in the winter with my Bosch powered bike. This winter I'm going to try a battery cover and see if it helps.

Greetings from down south, Helsinki.

Old1Eye

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2017
Finland, Oulu.
Hello and welcome/tervetuloa! Oulu is the winter cycling capital of the world, or at least Finland :-D
Keep your hands, head and feet warm. It takes trial and error to find out what suits you in the cold. It's tricky not to freeze or over heat when riding during the winter. I've noticed ~30% drop in range in the winter with my Bosch powered bike. This winter I'm going to try a battery cover and see if it helps.

Greetings from down south, Helsinki.

Terve,
Se oli tossi kylmä last winter lol, thiss. Wwwill be my 5th winter here, and 3rd cycling it, this winter.

Reactions: LeighPing

JonJaz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2017
Dewsbury UK
Could you put your warm battery into a backpack that way as you pedal the heat you generate will help to keep the battery warm?
Mounted to the bike it would be exposed to cold air as you zip along at 40Kph!

With camera batteries they perform much better when warmed up in my pockets prior to use.

Old1Eye

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2017
Finland, Oulu.
Could you put your warm battery into a backpack that way as you pedal the heat you generate will help to keep the battery warm?
Mounted to the bike it would be exposed to cold air as you zip along at 40Kph!

With camera batteries they perform much better when warmed up in my pockets prior to use.
You cant connect it to the bike from your back pack, but good idea!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You cant connect it to the bike from your back pack,
Some do, and 10 years ago there was an e-bike stunt display team called Team Hybrid who had the batteries in back packs with a trailing lead and quick-release connector.

Their bikes were BMX style with Crystalyte hub motors.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A battery in a back pack is not a good idea if you happen to take a tumble, I used to carry a spare but opt now to put in a pannier.