Hello from Lancashire

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
I joined the site last month, but have only just got around to saying hello to everyone.

I'm recovering from cancer and currently trying to build up my fitness level. At the moment I do not have the physical strength to ride either of my two mountain bikes, so in the New Year, I decided that perhaps an electric bike would be good for me.

Electric bike, yes I thought, that's a great idea, but I know absolutely nothing about them, have never seen one in action, etc. I started doing some research on the internet. Initial searches left me totally confused!! At one point, I even contemplated an electric scooter, but then decided against that because a)all I would be doing was sitting there, and not improving my fitness level at all, b) limited distance, and then if the battery runs out whilst I am out, how do I get the thing back home because you can't actually pedal the darn thing.

No, it had to be a cycle. I then got to thinking that perhaps I could convert one of my mountain bikes into an electric bike. Soon decided against this because of the cost of the kit.....you can buy an electric bike for not more than the kit, and without all the hassle of fitting the kit.

Still in a quandry, because prices seemed to range from something like £400 to thousands. I found a local bike shop that sold electric bikes, but they were all over £2000I did not want to pay that price for an electric bike, in case an electric bike was not for me. My budget I decided, was going to be £1000 maximum. After all, if I got hooked, I could always upgrade to a more superior bike at a later date.

So it was back to the drawing board and more research. Next step was establishing what bikes were available within my budget. Still quite a few. I contacted a fairly local cycle shop as they were a Dawes dealer. I had seen that Dawes did an electric bike around £800. Their email in reply to my query stated that electric bikes were not the ethos of the shop, and no they did not sell electric bikes, and please contact Dawes. Quite a curt reply, so I made a mental note never to shop there for anything. Perhaps they need to think about current cycling trends? I went off the idea of a Dawes bike. Again back to the drawing board.

Hub or crank driven, I had no idea which to choose, so read up on these. I live in an area of Lancashire where there are a number of hills, so I thought that a crank driven bike would be better. I saw on the forum about the new Woosh crank driven Sirocco arriving at the beginning of March. I looked on Woosh's website, and thought yes that seems suitable for my requirements, and well within my budget. I contacted Woosh via email to so that they could contact me when the bikes were in stock.

In the meantime, I was still reading up on electric bikes. Somewhere, and I cannot remember which website this was, I read about crank driven motors. Evidently, they appear to be slightly harder to ride, and I thought to myself, I want something that is easy to ride. I had seen the Sirocco Sport on Woosh's website, so had another look at all the spec details.

I telephoned Woosh the following morning, spoke to Hatti, and ordered the Sirocco Sport to be delivered 5th March. Really impressed with the bike on my first outing, and thought yes, an electric bike is definitely for me. Why had I not purchased one years ago lol.

So that is my journey to this site.

dencol

Just Joined
Mar 8, 2013
Hi from another newcomer to the forum and elec bikes, see you’re from Lancs I’m just over the border in Maghull.
Like yourself I'm recovering from cancer (bone marrow transplant following leukaemia.). Don’t know what part of Lancs you are from but certainly down this end there is a sad lack of dealers / shops only found two and both had nothing under £1500 for what I considered a basic bike.
I’m finding the bike an ideal way of building up my stamina etc whilst still have fun as I’m sure you will.

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Colin

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Welcome to the forum anniegirl....nice to hear the research you did to get here and great that you are so pleased with your new bike.
There is nothing like that first outing when you realise what you have been missing.... and that smile never goes away.......unless you get a puncture miles from anywhere lol

I hope you have many happy years e-biking :)

Lynda :)

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Welcome and thank you for an informative thread. How sad that a local bike shop is snooty about e-bikes; we have that problem here also. Discouraging new customers is a strange way to do business.

Funkylyn's right; you'll find yourself cycling everywhere with a silly grin on your face.

mart.hart

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2008
Hi Anniegirl and welcome.

If you are ever cycling along the Leeds-Liverpool in the Foulridge area watch out for an old duffer walking a ginger cocker spaniel (Although the wife says its golden) and say hello.

Mart

546114_4509888543658_162290853_n.jpg

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Hi Anniegirl and welcome.

If you are ever cycling along the Leeds-Liverpool in the Foulridge area watch out for an old duffer walking a ginger cocker spaniel (Although the wife says its golden) and say hello.

Mart

View attachment 5308

Gorgeous dog :) I'm from the Pendle area. When I get more used to cycling with the bike on the road, I'll be going further than the mile tunnel. As you know, after the mile tunnel, I'll have to go part way on the road to rejoin the canal towpath, so if I see your dog and yourself I will wave as I whizz by

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Yes it is sad, I would have thought that with the current economic climate, they would not turn customers away. Their loss is someone else's gain :)

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Welcome to the forum anniegirl....nice to hear the research you did to get here and great that you are so pleased with your new bike.
There is nothing like that first outing when you realise what you have been missing.... and that smile never goes away.......unless you get a puncture miles from anywhere lol

I hope you have many happy years e-biking :)

Thank you Lynda. Not sure I am cycling with a smile yet. At the moment, it's more of a grimace until I get fit, and the legs and backside stop aching! Hopefully, I won't have a puncture .....fingers crossed lol...............

Not sure what happened to the quote........guess I've not got the hang of posting on here yet!

Last edited:

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Hi from another newcomer to the forum and elec bikes, see you’re from Lancs I’m just over the border in Maghull.
Like yourself I'm recovering from cancer (bone marrow transplant following leukaemia.). Don’t know what part of Lancs you are from but certainly down this end there is a sad lack of dealers / shops only found two and both had nothing under £1500 for what I considered a basic bike.
I’m finding the bike an ideal way of building up my stamina etc whilst still have fun as I’m sure you will.

Best wishes for your continued recovery.

Colin

Hi Colin

Thanks for the good wishes. Hope your recovery is going well also.

There are a few shops in the area (Burnley, Pendle, Blackburn areas) selling electric bikes. Some too expensive for my first bike. I also did not want a bike where the battery is situated down behind the seat post......wanted a more natural looking bike. One company (bikes just under £1000) has a showroom, but looking at the description (very little info) of the bikes on their website, and battery position, I didn't even bother going to have a look. Only thing I liked was the colour of the bikes lol.

All we need now is some sunny weather lol.

mart.hart

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2008
Gorgeous dog :) I'm from the Pendle area. When I get more used to cycling with the bike on the road, I'll be going further than the mile tunnel. As you know, after the mile tunnel, I'll have to go part way on the road to rejoin the canal towpath, so if I see your dog and yourself I will wave as I whizz by
Just in case anyone wonders what the mile tunnel is. The leeds-liverpool canal goes underground in the Foulridge area. Not for quite a mile but the 1640 yard tunnel doesn't have the same ring to it..

76356_10200340159724971_1584295747_n.jpg

Last edited: