Hello from Lurker....and pricing question

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Hello. This is my first post after lurking here for ages and absorbing views, reviews and opinions. I'm in the market for an e-bike, having a rather typical profile of being late fifties, somewhat unfit but wanting a mixture of exercise and easier negotiation of excellent cycling paths around my area when it gets windy or hilly.

There is a lot of good advice here and this website is a brilliant haven for those educating themselves about the ins and outs of the e-bike world.

What strikes me immediately after a lot of detailed research is that the variations in prices of many e-bikes borders on the bizarre, but I see there are mixed opinions about so-called quality products against the perceived cheap and cheerful alternatives, together with a little indignance expressed towards what seem to me to be rather good bikes under £800, and countering objections to machines that are well over £2000 but seem not to deliver a superior quality that the price difference would imply.

Unless one is looking for cutting edge, ultra light carbon fibre machines, workaday bikes are rather like modern wines. They have improved beyond recognition since perhaps ten years ago and it's hard to find a completely duff product. For example I recently purchased a Halfords sale bike for my girlfriend as a starter bike. It is perfectly serviceable, reasonably light, has 18 gears and is not going to fall to bits. It cost me £99!!

Looking at the vast majority of even expensive e-bikes, most of them are not manufactured in the sense that word implies, but are "assembled" from pretty standard components available to anyone provided they open an account with an asian supplier. It seems to me that typical running gear is, with noble exceptions, similar on many bikes, and that there are just two items which define whether a given e-bike is any good....the quality and power of the battery and the efficiency of the motor. Provided the frame is decent, nearly everything else seems to be purchasable for relatively peanuts, or at least quite cheaply.

I am very intrigued therefore, that many self appointed "premium" makes which are clearly sourcing their components from virtually the same chinese or taiwanese suppliers as everyone else, have the cheek to market their machines at up to three or four times the price of a more modest bike. Perhaps economies of scale, or their lack, are a factor.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

I have a really nice, four year old Dahon Jetstream folder, and I'd like to add a motor. But it has front fork spacing of only 73 mm as against the standard 100 mm gap, and I can't find a hub motor that fits it. I'm not prepared to risk pulling the aluminium forks apart, so my question is: does anyone know of a hub motor which fits these narrow forks?

Secondly, if I can't find the solution to the above, I will sell the Dahon and buy a ready-made folder with a decent motor, or perhaps a non folder. The variation in prices for this kind of bike are truly mind-boggling, and to my mind demonstrate that the cliche "you get what you pay for" doesn't always apply to e-bikes. Why should I buy an electric folder quoted at £1,200-£1,500 or more when CLEARLY there are much cheaper makes having palpably similar build quality, batteries and motors, or at least very close specifications.

I'm after TORQUE, not just speed, and it surprises me how little detail on torque is given by typical blurb on ebike websites. There is no point in me achieving 15.5 mph on a hub motor if the bike dies with the slightest breeze or incline. To that end I cannot see that an expensive bike weighing 26-28 kg can possibly be justified when at has a 24 volt, 6-8 AH battery and low spec motor.

There are several suppliers of virtually identical hub retrofits which are truly bizarre in price difference, ranging from £390 to an eye watering £1200 for IDENTICAL components. Someone, somewhere, is taking the mick!

Looking at the reviews and having test ridden a few makes, bikes such as the Aliens knock many other very expensive bikes to a cocked hat for price and power. I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me that such and such a make at £3000 is so much better, but frankly it would take more persuasion than that.

There are two makes in particular, prominently discussed here, which have pretty ordinary specs but are marketed at £1,400 and above, yet have very modest batteries which clearly are going to run out of steam very quickly. Perhaps these makes have fantastic qualities which I am blind to.

Would anyone like to suggest a folder, reasonably priced, that has a decent frame, decent brakes and a reasonable amount of torque, which doesn't cost five times more than one would expect? Please note I have NO prejudice about bikes made in China or Timbukto or anywhere else! I have seen Chinese machines with full suspension and perfectly good batteries (AND good customer feedback) for less than £600 and at the other extreme a rather handsome machine whose £2000 price tag is receive by somewhat mixed reviews and comments.

Help me navigate through the mire!!

Last edited:
Hi,

i will not suggest a company because i´m also a company but i want say something to your sentence

"I have NO prejudice about bikes made in China or Timbukto or anywhere else!"

We know that because you riding a chinese bike.

Dahon is made in China ;-)
the Company head is still in America, but the factory is in china. a lot of company´s, even high-price company´s, do it this way, and you cant see it on the price as you know.

On exhibition i saw a Dahon with a sunstar 03 Motor in chaindrive, maybe this is something you like?
But the motor is in my eyes to weak, about price i dont want talk, "dahon" and the customer must know by them self whether it is fair or not

regards
frank

Last edited:

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Hi Frank,

I have been following your replies to other posts and I'm impressed by your knowledge.

I'll pass on this bike because it looks very overpriced and the motor, as you say, is not strong enough for the task. There are comparible bikes at half the price with better batteries and motors.

Yes I was aware that Dahon are manufactured in China, as are a hundred other items in my house!

Regards,

Leonard

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Some bikes I haven't seen reviewed here. I would welcome comments on these:

1. Pro Rider Mobility "E" Tourer and Folder. Cheap. Reasonable looking motor and battery £529

Electric Bikes - Leisure - E TOURER ELECTRIC BIKE

Electric Bikes - Leisure - E WAYFARER ELECTRIC BIKE

2. Tidy Looking Folder with reasonable power, front suspension and good price. £570

New QBP-MK220 20" 6 Speed Electric Folding Bike/Bicycle on eBay (end time 30-Jan-11 08:48:35 GMT)

3. Alien Pulsar Folder with a decent battery. I can't tell if it has suspension though. £699 Electric Bicycles - Alien Pulsar £699

Any similar bike recommendations welcome. If someone can convince me that the Dahon Electric Folder at £2000 offers anything that justifies the enormous difference in price I will listen....with skepticism!

Last edited:

overthehill

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2010
Reason

Choosing your bike is a very personal thing as we all know one mans meat is anothers poison. Trust me when you find the right bike price will not be an issue.
Reason and logic fly out the window and you are going to love it when you find it.
Alex

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Decent Folder

Look at the Batribike Quartz . I have the earlier SE with the 26V 8Ah battery and the 200W Front Hub Motor . They still do this model but have made several improvements to increase the range . It is beautifully finished and all the components work well . Mine cost £649 in September and if you type in Batribike and scroll down to comments made in November , my impressions are recorded there . It is a bit low geared and one Dealer has addressed this .On the one occasion I ran out of battery , I was grateful for this, as it rode up the hills more easily than on my 3 speed conventional Folder . I am still very pleased with it and highly recommend the Model .

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Hi LeonardYoung.

It'll come as no surprise to regular readers of these pages that I agree with the general ethos of your posting as I have written as much myself.

When I have actually stopped to examine those cheap bicycles in Tesco/Asda/Halfords and the like, I really can't see too much wrong with them. The quality of the components to my less than expert eye seems ok on the face of it and if assembled and set up correctly, I would imagine that they would do the job required and prove fit for purpose.

If that's correct, then I have a difficulty justifying the premium demanded on what are perceived, (I'm not sure by whom exactly) to be top end bicycles.

Obviously, with electric bikes, the newer, more powerful batteries will cost more than the older generation ones, (although I still contend that all bicycle batteries are massively overpriced) and will be reflected in the overall bicycle cost but there's no doubt in my mind that there are bikes available at the budget end of the market which will perform perfectly adequately for most of the typical demographic in this particular market.

Most of the kits I have looked at online tend to be expensive, I find. In the case of Alien for example, their kits are priced rather close to their ready-built bikes so I'm not sure I'd want to attach their kit to an older, well-used bike when for not a lot of extra cash, I can have a complete bicycle with brand new components all round.

I hope some of the experienced forum users can provide you with some good pointers which help inform your choice.

Indalo

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Look at the Batribike Quartz . I have the earlier SE with the 26V 8Ah battery and the 200W Front Hub Motor .
Hi Roger,

I looked at this one early on and was a bit concerned about the 200W motor, slightly low Amp hours and the low gearing. Without trying both, I think the Ebay one I mentioned looks just as good and appears to have a better battery, but I concede without trying both it is difficult to judge. But neither are excessive in price. Thanks for your suggestion.

Edit....just seen the improved spec and see it is now 36V and 250W. However the price has jumped up to £900!

Leonard

Last edited:

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Hi LeonardYoung.

It'll come as no surprise to regular readers of these pages that I agree with the general ethos of your posting as I have written as much myself.

When I have actually stopped to examine those cheap bicycles in Tesco/Asda/Halfords and the like, I really can't see too much wrong with them.
Hi Indalo,

Nor can I and I've tried a friends from the cheaper end. It's the battery longevity, power and motor spec that slightly concerns me, rather than the bikes which seem to be very reasonable. I think my goal is 250W nominal power, 36V and at least 10 Ah, preferably 12-14 Ah as I don't fancy running out of power on a long run and it's clear from reviews here that the lower spec batteries struggle on anything but shallow inclines.

Leonard

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Having looked at the specs of everything from Cyclamatic's at £400 to top Whisper models, i would have to agree that the premium seems unreasonable. Essentially there is little "wrong" with the cyclamatic, the forks arent much good, but aside from that its a decent machine.

High end Wispers seem to add better forks, and higher spec shimano drivetrains, together with apparently higher spec finishing kit, such as seatposts, bars etc.

My personal opinion is that there is blatant profiteering going on in this emerging market, and thankfully the likes of Alien and Cyclamatic are bringing a touch of realism to the pricing.

The chinese manufacturing isnt as much of an issue as the chinese component design, where its often felt that cost is more important than quality, or so the general perception seems to be.

For example, the above mentioned forks on the Cyclamatic let the machine down a little, everything else is fine, functional and solid. The forks are so flex that the brake bosses caused the bridge to move in use. The dropouts were of unequal length so the wheel sat slightly sideways in them, again making accurate brake setup very difficult.

I've replaced the forks with Rock Shox Dart 3's which i bought for £85 from Evans, if the manufacturer fitted these the bike would be much better, even if its £75 more expensive.

Selling customers on the benefits of better components is difficult though. Ultimately, there's a balance to be struck between value and quality, and i dont think any manufacturer has it quite right yet.

Or all of the above maybe rushed judgement from a newbie...

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Batribike Quartz

I have just looked at the Batribike site Leonard and can see the price is now up to £899 . The later model is now 36V 10Ah and the motor is now in the rear wheel and the battery is moved from the downtube to the carrier .I think this is a retrograde step, as a lot more weight is now over the rear wheel instead of evenly balanced as before . When lifting it down 5 steps mine is perfectly balanced .
When I bought mine in September , the Quartz model was supplied as standard with the 10 Ah battery ,but was then out of stock .They called my model the SE and it came with the 8Ah battery , I was told this before ordering . At the time the Quartz was sold at £749 and as mine was £649 , you paid £100 more to get 2Ah !The Folding Bikes Dealer at Malmesbury was charging £849 for his with the modified gearing ie £100 more than the standard bike .
From reading posts here you pay a hefty premium for batteries with higher Ah `s and unless you need the extra range badly , doesn`t seem worth it . On light and med. assist mine will do at least 35 miles and if it fails it`s easy to pedal home with it`s 7 gears . The 36V 10Ah Quartz would suit you fine in my view . I should also mention that mine came from the Dealer 15 miles away and was delivered free .It was also fully built and tested and if I took it back I could have a free service ,which I didn`t avail myself of .
In my view the Batribike is a very nice machine and I wouldn`t get too besotted on Ampere Hours !

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
RE: the OP, I wonder though how much it costs Cannondale to put together one of their (non-electric) bikes. And yet they still sell for £2k+?

Electric bikes arguably need better build and parts than any old tesco bike.

The other argument is that the industry needs the profit margins to sustain the research and development (and marketing......)

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
RE: the OP, I wonder though how much it costs Cannondale to put together one of their (non-electric) bikes. And yet they still sell for £2k+?

Electric bikes arguably need better build and parts than any old tesco bike.

The other argument is that the industry needs the profit margins to sustain the research and development (and marketing......)
Yes I concede that is true. Nothing wrong with profit or margins for research and development, but I don't think assembling the average e-bike takes much development or research at all. What I notice is that many UK suppliers are esssentially not "making" bikes. They are sourcing asian components and "assembling" them into a viable machine. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is that there is a huge variation in price that is not reflected in the comparable quality between similar machines.

I've contacted quite a few suppliers who operate not from a shop but perhaps a small industrial unit, or even a glorified shed. That doesn't mean they are incapable of supporting their product, nor does it mean they are shoddy suppliers.

I have done a bit of work researching the materials and components of a wide range of e-bikes where possible. Many of them are exactly the same amongst a wide range of brands, especially regarding hub motors, controllers and gears.

I see a few comments here about "cheap" batteries, yet do those posters REALLY know where those batteries have come from? I see other comments about "cheap" brakes, frames, gears, wheels" etc, but I see hardly any posts about failure of any of these components, and those complaints that do exist seem to be more about how they are set up and tuned rather than the core quality.

I see a parallel between the current e-bike industry and the car industry as it was 15 years ago, when customers began to wake up to the fact that they could by-pass the franchised dealers and save much expense by not contributing to the upkeep of flashy showroom, suited salesman and glossy brochures.

Because e-bikes are falsely perceived to be "new technology" in the minds of the average commuter or suburban cyclist, it seems to me that a myth has grown around e-bikes that they are somehow cutting edge, and you can tell that by the hyperbole used by many brand salesman in their desperation to describe their particular version of a rather prosaic product.

I'm sticking to my initial observation that, provided an e-bike is not grossly heavier than it could be, and provided that running gear is pretty much standard over the range of bikes available (which it clearly is in most cases), the key is in finding a reliable battery with sufficient power and longevity to do the job, and a decent motor which delivers efficient propulsion. To that end I fail to see how one e-bike using these two vital components should be twice or three times the cost of something else, and that the difference in price is a combination of marketing overheads, expensive shop leases, expense incurred in promoting the myth that one "make" is really worth twice as much as a similar make that is virtually the same, and in some cases, assumptions of a certain amount of guliibility on the part of a potential customer who has failed to research the market thoroughly.

Leonard

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Dealer Margins

Leonard I think you are going a bit overboard on this . A lot of Dealers have premises on which rent and rates have to be paid and although most riders can fix the mechanical problems , what about the Electronics ? They must have equipment or expertise to repair these . This is very apparent in the Car Dealerships . My Audi had an Engine Management problem ,this caused all manner of spurious indications and could only be fixed by the Main Agent on £108 an hour , not at London rates but here in S.Wales . So the bill for a Diagnostic check and a new MAP Thermostat came to a hefty £422.13 pence . No wonder before you have the work done they tell you 2 hours for the diagnostic service alone to find the fault !
Leonard I think you should just make your selection and enjoy the experience out on the Ebike .

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Leonard I think you are going a bit overboard on this . A lot of Dealers have premises on which rent and rates have to be paid and although most riders can fix the mechanical problems , what about the Electronics ? They must have equipment or expertise to repair these . This is very apparent in the Car Dealerships . My Audi had an Engine Management problem ,this caused all manner of spurious indications and could only be fixed by the Main Agent on £108 an hour , not at London rates but here in S.Wales . So the bill for a Diagnostic check and a new MAP Thermostat came to a hefty £422.13 pence . No wonder before you have the work done they tell you 2 hours for the diagnostic service alone to find the fault !
Leonard I think you should just make your selection and enjoy the experience out on the Ebike .
I have made my selection and will post a review after riding for a while. Bike electronics that go wrong are rarely repaired by the dealer and are also rarely diagnosed beyond switching them on to see if they work! They simply replace the duff part. I agree though that with cars it is different.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see a few comments here about "cheap" batteries, yet do those posters REALLY know where those batteries have come from? I see other comments about "cheap" brakes, frames, gears, wheels" etc, but I see hardly any posts about failure of any of these components, and those complaints that do exist seem to be more about how they are set up and tuned rather than the core quality.
Yes, some of us really do know the manufacturers of the cheap batteries who copy existing and often old technology, people like the Zhejiang Zhenlong Battery Co. Their batteries are often found in the lower demand 24 volt bikes like the Cyclamatics. These really are far less capable in terms of power, range and life than the higher priced 37 volt e-bikes using the latest tech batteries from the top manufacturers like Advance, Lishen and Phylion. The cheap bikes are also far less capable than the high price lower voltage sophisticated designs which use high efficiency to utilise the available power better.

Leonard, you go much too far in your statements on prices, there are many factors which you conveniently omit from your calculations, partly through lack of sufficient knowledge of the subject.

Yes, I readily agree that the higher priced bikes include a substantial premium by virtue of being at a higher level in the market, but that's true of all products, shop for the best and you'll pay an extra premium for having the best. But you also gain in many other ways, most of them completely ignored in your assessments.

The Cyclamatic may do the job fine for some and it's definitely a good buy for them, but for me and many others in more trying territory it's useless since it cannot measure up to what's needed.

You mention the other components like gears, but I can assure you from my own experience of bikes at various price levels that the cheap stuff really does last less well. Indeed during my 64 years of cycling I've had long periods of buying at the low end and throwing the bikes away at 2 to 3 years rather than bothering with replacing the failing bearings and heavily worn sprockets and chain.

So once again usage comes into it. Those whose territory means the Cylamatic and it's like measure up will often be putting in less pedal effort so the low cost bike side becomes less important. For those of us who have to work harder in more trying conditions, high wear rates are a costly, time consuming nuisance, so the higher cost components are worthwhile.

Last edited:

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Hi Flecc. I'm not disagreeing with some of what you say and I've done a bit of cycling too over the years. In addition I work in a high tech innovative industry. You are obviously more experienced in the ebike field....but a cat can talk to a King ;)

I've already agreed with you in advance and before your post, that low spec 24 volt batteries are not up to the job, so where is the disgreement there?

Don't assume I am a great fan of the cheaper end of the market. My point all along was about like for like equipment that at one end is cheap probably due to low labour costs, modest premises and low margins, against premium products which have about them the whiff of designer-labelling, somewhat similar to buying a T shirt in a discount store for £3 then buying the same T shirt made in the same factory but having an Armani logo attached to it for £30!

There is a big difference between a cheap skate looking for the ultimate bargain and shoddy equipment, and some else who is merely discerning about quality that has a reasonable price tag.

Our own products in my field are probably near the top of the pile in terms of innovation and quality, but are also extremely affordable, and we've done this by cutting out unnecessary marketing blurb, pointless advertising and large premises, huge leases, over-blown websites and gratuitous expense. Our products almost sell themselves purely on customer recommendations.

My observations are perhaps different from yours not through your assumption of ignorance but through using fresh eyes about an industry you have clearly been watching for a long time. I am well aware of the batteries you describe.

Anyway, I think I read some useful stuff about setting up a folder on a website of yours and found the info you posted very useful, so my thanks for that, assuming I've got the right chap!

Leonard

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the clarification Leonard, I was unsure how to interpret your postings, since we have some members who just blindly believe that any higher price is unjustified.

There are indeed creditable business models like that in your own company, but I believe that any business has the right to run as it pleases. After all, if all businesses ran to a lean efficient model there would be no Rolex, Bugatti, Cartier, Louis Vuiton, Gucci, BikeTec etc., and the world would be a poorer place for all of us as a result. Another way of saying there is more to life than cold efficiency, including aspiration to the unreachable.

I like a world of maximum variety, including the highest qualities regardless of cost, the optimum value things resulting from efficiency and the cheap junk from the shysters. We can then judge the good by relating it to the values of the bad, in both directions!