Hello from Sheffield

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Welcome Pedalpower. Have you got your mind set on anything yet, or are you overwhelmed by the choices available?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Welcome

And you do of course have the rather awesome On One bikes on your doostep

My commuter bike is converted Pompetamine. - utterly bullet proof, maintence free bike

the 456 hardtials are excellent too. Not ridden their newer stuff

Pedalpower65

Finding my (electric) wheels
O
Welcome Pedalpower. Have you got your mind set on anything yet, or are you overwhelmed by the choices available?
Definitely overwhelmed!
I think that I might try a preowned one, if I can find a nice enough one for not too much money. I'm hoping to find/ buy one this week, to get me started.

Reactions: peerjay56

Pedalpower65

Welcome

My commuter bike is converted Pompetamine. - utterly bullet proof, maintence free bike

Welcome

I go there regularly. Lots of great cycle shops in Sheffield. At least one for each of the numerous hills...

Sheffmax

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2013
Sheffield
Whereabouts in Sheffield are you? I recently bought an ebike to get me round the hills of Sheffield and The Peak District.

Pedalpower65

Whereabouts in Sheffield are you? I recently bought an ebike to get me round the hills of Sheffield and The Peak District.
I'm near Handsworth, S13. I secretly love the hills as the turn you into a bit of a machine if ever you find yourself somewhere flat. But, age and ill health are ganging up on my a little, so I need a little help...

Sheffmax

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2013
Sheffield
I'm near Handsworth, S13. I secretly love the hills as the turn you into a bit of a machine if ever you find yourself somewhere flat. But, age and ill health are ganging up on my a little, so I need a little help...
I live in Stannington, a stone's throw from The Peak District, and have always been put off exploring due to the daunting return ride from any direction. My Freego, while not exactly propelling me up hill, at least takes about 50% of the effort on the steeper climbs. Have a look at Roper Hill on Google Earth for an example. No, that's not me. :D

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
My Freego, while not exactly propelling me up hill
Sheffmax, what bike did you go for?
I'm still a keen cyclist, but struggle with hills a bit these days. I'm looking for a bike that can be ridden realistically with no assistance (on my good days).
It looks like he may have one of these http://freegoelectricbikes.com/electric-bikes/FreeGoBike/FreeGo-Eagle-Crossbar-Red-16Ah

However as a keen cyclist I would direct you towards a Bosch powered bike, a little more expensive yes, but infinitely better, exactly like riding a normal bike, but with a 5-position switch that can alter gravity as you see fit. As to which Bosch bike I'm not sure. I like my 8-speed hub, it allows me to climb any hill and has a comfortable cadence up to about 32 mph, or 38 mph if you really spin going downhill.

Pedalpower65

Well, I took the plunge and as if by magic I've had the best cycling day that I've had for an age. I simply couldn't stop pedalling. Today, I've visited (and licked) my three 'nemesis' climbs - the ones that my failing health had allowed to get under my skin. Today, I settled a few old scores and it felt great. Apologies if that all sounds a bit melodramatic, but for a while now, my inability to get around has been slowly grinding me down, but today I felt like a small boy again. I have literally cycled myself to the point of exhaustion and I feel epic. Time for a cup of tea and a currant bun.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Nice one. They're a great price aren't they. Another member in Sheffield has one, but he hasn't given much feedback on how it performs.

Reactions: Pedalpower65

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Today, I've visited (and licked) my three 'nemesis' climbs - the ones that my failing health had allowed to get under my skin. Today, I settled a few old scores and it felt great. Apologies if that all sounds a bit melodramatic, but for a while now, my inability to get around has been slowly grinding me down, but today I felt like a small boy again.
Not a bit melodramatic - I felt bad when I had to stop & draw breath on Pentewan Hill, a locally notorious 25%-er, so I had another bash at it this week & made it - Just.

Just leaves the 28%-er at Hustyn Mill: I've tried it twice & failed; both times the front wheel has lifted & toppled me off, so I'll try transferring the pannier to the front & have another go sometime soon.

No way would I contemplate trying those without a gutsy motor.

Great fun innit? ;)

Sheffmax

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2013
Sheffield
It would be interesting to meet up somewhere in Sheffield to compare the bikes' abilities to tackle the bigger hills. What are these nemesis hills, I might try them out with the Eagle to see how it copes.

Pedalpower65

It would be interesting to meet up somewhere in Sheffield to compare the bikes' abilities to tackle the bigger hills. What are these nemesis hills, I might try them out with the Eagle to see how it copes.
I'd be up for that. The hills I tackled were, Granville Road, East Bank Road and a road called Linley Lane which is ridiculously steep.