Hello, I am new here. Don't buy the one I bought.

Enrique Povo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Hello,
I am 52, overweight, and haven't done exercise or ridden a bicycle in 20 years. But I do need to lose weight and I have decided it would be a good idea to commute 6.2 miles to work. I tried a normal bicycle, but it was too much. I couldn't make it. So I bought an Urban Mover 36SX and I've just started successfully. I love the e-bike concept.
However, I am sorry to say that I can't recommend Urban Mover. The bike came with mounting instructions for another model (probably they have just one booklet for all models), so after some puzzling I through away the instructions and figured it out for myself. To my dismay, the adjustable handlebar can't be adjusted (some defect with the nuts).
I found the battery-level indicator to be completely useless, as it bounces from empty to 3/4 full when I climb to the top of a small hill. The drag when battery is disconnected is also quite significant. Finally, there is nothing gentle or subtle about the pedal assist controller, and you often notice jerks while pedalling steadily on a flat road. I can't compare with other manufacturers, but I can't believe this is the best you can get for 1000 quid.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hllo Enrique, welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. Hub motor bike torque sensors are sometimes not very good and there has been criticism before of the way in which the UM one works. I'm afraid few battery meters are much good, and those independent of the battery usually react in this way, changing the readout drastically according to the workload. You can read more about the reasons for that in my article on this link.

Hopefully you can sell the UM36 and buy something else, preferably trying before buying of course.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
There are quite a few of us (myself included) who are overweight and want to get back to cycling after years of not cycling as much as we used to.

If you use the search facility and type 'overweight' I reckon it will bring up quite a few threads. Then you can see what bikes people have bought, have tried out or are currently considering.

I have to say I was abosolutely adamant I wanted a large wheel bike, but when I tried one out, I realised I preferred the ride on a 26" wheel bike.

I did have a look at the U.Mover and sat astride it in the shop but it didn't feel 'right' to me. I thought the handlebars were a bit 'narrow' too.