Hello, new boy needs a charger boost

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
Hello forum,

I am new to this , and have owned a e bike for 12 months. I havent cycled for 45 years but got fed up sitting in traffic. I commute 15 miles each way from the subarbs to north bristol most days. I picked up a demo peugeot 0co3 hybrid, which has benn immensly solid, comfortable and reliable. I have only got the 9ah battery, which i charge at work for the return journey. I am looking to but a reasnably priced spare charger to have at work so i dont have to carry it on my bike. Are there any third party vendors where i can get a charger which is compatable withJoycube 36v 9ah battery. Current charger is JCLCO84V42M its 42v 2.0 amp.

Thanks

Mark S

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hello
Welcome to the site

I can’t help you with your question but I’m sure someone will be along soon who can
If not try posting in one of the other sections as not everyone looks in here
:)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Loads of 36v chargers out there. If you post a picture of the connector we can advise/offer links. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
I’d send you one of mine got two 2amp, 5amp, and recent 8amp all at 36v.

NB. I’ve a 40Ah battery and never would suggest attempting to charge a 9Ah battery with anything above 2amps.

What connector does your battery charger require. Lots of choices out there, sure one of the vendors will have stock.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Are there any third party vendors where i can get a charger which is compatable withJoycube 36v 9ah battery. Current charger is JCLCO84V42M its 42v 2.0 amp.
The problem you have Mark is that the JCLCO84V42M charger is not a generic charger - it's made by Sans specifically for Phylion who make the Joycube batteries. The charger has extra circuitry, and the 5 pins on the plug carry (apart from the 42v supply rails) over heat & over volt sensing and handshaking: i.e. the battery handshakes with the charger before it'll charge. So you can't use a generic charger, and AFAIK, nobody else has even tried to copy this Phylion 5-pin plug/charging system.

In the UK, apart from very few e-bike sellers, only Halfords commonly use an equivalent charger, model SSLC084V42XH, as I linked in your other thread for about £45. This XH suffixed model charger also contains the extra circuitry you need. As Nealh mentioned, these chargers very, very occasionally crop up used on ebay. Otherwise you'll find new ones (slightly) more easily in Europe with European mains plugs typically for about £30-£35, where Phylion battery powered e-bikes are far more common.

Mark Sudol

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Bristol
The problem you have Mark is that the JCLCO84V42M charger is not a generic charger - it's made by Sans specifically for Phylion who make the Joycube batteries. The charger has extra circuitry, and the 5 pins on the plug carry (apart from the 42v supply rails) over heat & over volt sensing and handshaking: i.e. the battery handshakes with the charger before it'll charge. So you can't use a generic charger, and AFAIK, nobody else has even tried to copy this Phylion 5-pin plug/charging system.

In the UK, apart from very few e-bike sellers, only Halfords commonly use an equivalent charger, model SSLC084V42XH, as I linked in your other thread for about £45. This XH suffixed model charger also contains the extra circuitry you need. As Nealh mentioned, these chargers very, very occasionally crop up used on ebay. Otherwise you'll find new ones (slightly) more easily in Europe with European mains plugs typically for about £30-£35, where Phylion battery powered e-bikes are far more common.