Hello Pedelecs! I'd be very appreciative of any advice on bike buying...

Scarahh

Just Joined
May 28, 2016
Bristol
I'm very untechy and unbikey and used to riding 12 miles a day on a normal bike. At the moment I drive half way to work and ride the rest, mostly for the exercise and the cheer up of being outside. It means I still sit in traffic on the way home for up to an hour. The full round trip would be 30 miles with one big hill. I'm fit enough to do it if I don't have to do anything else at all in the day but not if I have to work an 8 hour day (on my feet) as well...

So! I thought perhaps an e bike is the answer. I'm 5.5 and a half and about 10 stone. I'd like to sit up rather than drop down like I do now and I'd appreciate a comfy saddle. I could charge the bike at work so it would only need a range of 20 miles (to be in the safe side). I love the look of the momentum upstart but I've heard that they are terrible, my budget could stretch to £1500 if it had too. I'd like to feel like I was getting some exercise but still be able to function at the end of my ride.

Any advice very gratefully received, I am out of my depth!!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Charging at work would mean carrying the charger or buying a second one.

Probably simpler to get a bike that would do the round trip.

Most will get 30 miles with some pedalling - which you want to do.

An upright position and your height leads us towards a step-through, although much will depend on your inside leg measurement.

Plenty of bikes around £1,000 to choose from.

A woosh Petite would certainly fit, the lady who owns the firm designed it for herself and others of a similar height.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?petite

Alternatively, one of the other woosh step-throughs such as the Big Bear, although woosh say it's too big for you, so it might be.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

Another brand that's well worth a look is Cyclezee.

They cost a bit more, but are famously robust.

Could be worth the extra money for commuting, which is relatively hard use for any bicycle.

http://cyclezee.com/ezee-e-bikes--pedelecs.html

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The estreet for £1599 exdemo in manufacturers offers looks smart.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
woosh use 3 motors, the Petite has the Bafang SWX, good for up to riders up to 13st, then the Santana2 which has the Bafang SWX02 for riders up to 15st and Big Bear LS with Bafang BPM for riders over 15st. The OP weighs 10st, the Petite is perfect or Santana2 (good for big hills). The Big Bear LS is not right for her.

Scarahh

Just Joined
May 28, 2016
Bristol
Thank you all very much for all your help. I forgot to say that I need to take it up 3 big steps at the end of the day but I guess that will be doable if I take the battery separately. I've heard that they're not so steal able so should be okay locked up outside a hospital all day while I'm at work?
The woosh petite looks like a practical affordable option.. I need to let go of looking for something as pretty and slim as the upstart I think.
Thank you again everyone.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thank you all very much for all your help. I forgot to say that I need to take it up 3 big steps at the end of the day but I guess that will be doable if I take the battery separately. I've heard that they're not so steal able so should be okay locked up outside a hospital all day while I'm at work?
The woosh petite looks like a practical affordable option.. I need to let go of looking for something as pretty and slim as the upstart I think.
Thank you again everyone.
A savvy thief wouldn't steal an ebike, they are heavy and not much use without the charger and keys for the battery lock.

Trouble is, many thieves will steal anything just because it's there and they can.

Only you can judge the safety of the location where you intend to leave the bike, but hospital grounds are a magnet for thieves who know stuff is often left unattended for a long time.

A sturdy lock would offer some protection, but in this situation I would deploy two of different types.

The thinking there is the thief may not arrive equipped to breach both.

By different types, I mean a D-lock and a separate cable lock.

Allow best part of £100 for the pair.

2_Wheeled_Wolf

Finding my (electric) wheels
I'm very untechy and unbikey and used to riding 12 miles a day on a normal bike. At the moment I drive half way to work and ride the rest, mostly for the exercise and the cheer up of being outside. It means I still sit in traffic on the way home for up to an hour. The full round trip would be 30 miles with one big hill. I'm fit enough to do it if I don't have to do anything else at all in the day but not if I have to work an 8 hour day (on my feet) as well...

So! I thought perhaps an e bike is the answer. I'm 5.5 and a half and about 10 stone. I'd like to sit up rather than drop down like I do now and I'd appreciate a comfy saddle. I could charge the bike at work so it would only need a range of 20 miles (to be in the safe side). I love the look of the momentum upstart but I've heard that they are terrible, my budget could stretch to £1500 if it had too. I'd like to feel like I was getting some exercise but still be able to function at the end of my ride.

Any advice very gratefully received, I am out of my depth!!
I recently purchased a secondhand 2015 Momentum Upstart due to its weight & affordability. I'd say it is a wonderful bike, I get about 42-44 miles per charge cycling to work & back with hills & my disability. Definitely one I'd recommend.