Hello

malkie0831

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
GB
Since I found a thread to comment on I thought I had better introduce myself here.

64 year old just ordered my first Conversion kit for my hybrid road bike.

I'm trying to 'fight the flab' but finding the hills too much to bear. Here's hoping the eBike conversion will improve my enthusiasm.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Welcome!

What kit did you go for it of interest and what bike are you going to electrify ?

And enjoy the ride !

malkie0831

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
GB
I have bought a 250W Bafang BBS01 Hub drive Kit from e-bike sales.

My Bike is a Viking Notting Hill. I bought its 2 years ago and have been very slow to put any miles on it.IMG_0015.jpg
Fingers crossed the kit will arrive this week then I can make sure it all fits!

malkie0831

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
GB
IMG_0592.JPG Well it is all fitted and here is a quick pic of the bike after conversion. The motor turns out to be a BBS01B. The instruction manual is a bubblejet printed booklet with fades where the ink was running out, I was a bit underwhelmed by that. The LCD display is the C965 but the instructions are for the C961. They did send me a PDF of the correct instructions when asked.

The battery (14.5Ah 36v) does not have a switch so you can see I have left the Connectors accessible so I can use them to isolate the battery. On receipt the battery had 3 of the 4 led's of it's gauge lighting, so it was at least 67% charged I estimate, but it took 3 hours to fully charge.

I still have some work to do on the cabling and I only have a motor cut-out on the left hand brake, but I do have a HWBS ready to install on the front brake cable. I had to replace the cable guide under the BB as the original stood proud more by about 10mm or so preventing the BBS01 from fitting, so that caused some of the delay, along with real life getting in the way! I did find a really slim cable guide (allegedly by Campagnolo) for about £5 on the 'bay.

The bike had 48/38/28 chain wheels and has a 28/14 rear free-wheel, so with the 46 tooth Bafang chain wheel it is a little lower geared than it used to be at the top end, but I rarely used that gearing except for downhill. I did have a quick spin around the block in the dark when I finished it, then lost a really good chance to go out on it today as we were visiting relatives, but these things happen I guess. Hopefully I can get some rides in this week.