Hello . . .

kashka

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
This is my first post since discovering this fantastic site. I've been lurking for a couple of months now, wondering whether to buy or not to buy. I have recently had a go on my friends Wisper 905 eco - but found it too big (even though the saddle was down as far as we could get it), I just didn't feel safe when approaching junctions as I couldn't get my feet to the ground as much as I would like - tippytoes and the bike leaning!

So anyway, I have decided I really want to get one asap but am finding it difficult as I live in Penzance, and although we have a great bike shop here, they only really do Wisper or Claud Butler. I am drawn to the Kalkhoff Agattu 8 speed as I believe they are good with hills, and it's very hilly here. I would like to be future proofed as much as finances will allow so wanted a big battery, which this has - in fact it ticks all the right boxes. My only worry is - will the 45cm frame be low enough for me? I can't test drive as I don't live near enough to anywhere that stocks them. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Hi Kashka,

Wecome to the forum

You don't say what size you are. I have trouble with any crossbar bike as my inside leg measure is 27". (I have trouble with trousers come to that.) My solution is a step through. Can't touch the ground whilst sitting on the saddle, but just slip forward when stopping - no crossbar to get in the way.

As for bikes, you might try the Wisper 705, or the Raleigh Dover, which is very similar to the Kalkoff.

Hope this helps

Bill

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Hello Bill and thanks for the reply. My local bike shop is waiting for stock of the Wisper 705 but I believe they are all the same size frame, which is too big - I don't really like to keep stepping down from the saddle, would much rather stay seated and feel the ground at the same time.

I have considered getting a folding bike, which have smaller frames but worry about their reliability, battery size and strength etc - this is all new to me, and I've only learnt what I've read in here really.

My inseam is 28" by the way and I definitely do need a step-through as you suggested. What I really need is a Kalkhoff or Raleigh or any other manufacturer to make a 15 or 16 inch frame with an 18ah battery - is there one out there that I don't know about? Do manufacturers think us vertically challenged ones can on do "short" distances?!?!

My search continues . . .

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
Hi Kashka

I would think that the Raleigh Dover 2010 is ideal - small frame size with 28" wheels and 8 speed hub.

Lloyd Clarkson at Raleigh Ebikes visits the forum every so often and can say whether there are any of these at stockists in Cornwall. He would also be able to confirm that the large 18Ah battery fits the small frame, which I think it will.

James

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Kashka
All Juicy Bikes, including our 20" Urban Folder, are available with a choice of 10, 14 or 16AH batteries.
The 16AH version has a RRP of £1,089. The nearest demo available to you, though, is Atmosphere in Bristol.
You may also consider our Classic which is also available with the 16AH option.
Both have 6 gears, the 20" having better climbing ability than the larger wheeled Classic, which is more comfortable over distance.

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Hi James, Hi Bob, thank you both for your help.
It looks as though there's no easy way to purchase a bike, so I have decided to take some time off work and have a well deserved break (woohoo :-D) and scour the country for a bike - well maybe not the whole county you understand, just the midlands in fact.
I think I will start with Atmosphere in Bulkington to view a juicybike and then maybe 50cycles as we'll be relatively near there - does anyone else know of any other good bike shops in the Leicester to Coventry area?

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Try On-bke in Kidderminster for a good range. You might consider the Ezee Street, mentioned in other posts today.

eZee Street Electric Bike
Thanks Bill - I'll make a visit to On-bike too. I'll end up having so many to choose from and then won't be able to decide . . . might have to come back here for decision making help - you'll all be so fed up with me :-/

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Try On-bke in Kidderminster for a good range. You might consider the Ezee Street, mentioned in other posts today.

eZee Street Electric Bike
I'd second a trip to On-bike in Kidderminster. They've got loads of demo bikes to try and Andrew is a top bloke.
The Juicy Classic model we bought in the end is also a little high for my wife (5'3") with the saddle at its lowest but she is getting used to it now and like Bill says above if you stand in the step-through part you can put both feet down if stopped for longer.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Like you, I found the Wisper 905 too large for me (I guess I'm too short for it). Really liked the 705 - great ride and got me up hills.

However, keep on trying them because they all feel so very different and are very personal to you - down to the fit and the look too.

I know from personal experience you will know when you ride the correct bike - it will feel more amazing than all the others that felt amazing. You will know instanstly as it will tick ALL the boxes for you, not just some.

Are you too far to visit Tonaro in Devon? They have the Princess and a new bike coming out soon (forget name already) but lots of favourable reviews.

by the way, frame size will differ if there is suspension on the seat. Seat suspension heightens the ride, so you need a smaller frame. I think (iirc) that I am normaly okay with a 45 frame but with seat suspension I was better on a 43 frame (at least I think that is what it was - LOL!).

Last edited:

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Like you, I found the Wisper 905 too large for me (I guess I'm too short for it). Really liked the 705 - great ride and got me up hills.

However, keep on trying them because they all feel so very different and are very personal to you - down to the fit and the look too.

I know from personal experience you will know when you ride the correct bike - it will feel more amazing than all the others that felt amazing. You will know instanstly as it will tick ALL the boxes for you, not just some.

Are you too far to visit Tonaro in Devon? They have the Princess and a new bike coming out soon (forget name already) but lots of favourable reviews.

by the way, frame size will differ if there is suspension on the seat. Seat suspension heightens the ride, so you need a smaller frame. I think (iirc) that I am normaly okay with a 45 frame but with seat suspension I was better on a 43 frame (at least I think that is what it was - LOL!).
Hello, and many thanks for your reply. I did wonder about the seat suspension, but then thought about the payoff of a sore rear end after a few hours on the bike - ideally I would like to still have as much comfort as possible for these creaky old bones of mine. As you suggest, I will try as many different bikes as I possibly can whilst on my hols - and then report back.

I just looked at the Tonaro website but none of the step-throughs have the bigger battery, only 10ah, but I live in a very hilly area and I'm no lightweight either (although I am trying to rectify that!)

43cm frame with a big battery would be great . . . I'm on a mission :-D

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Hi Kashka
All Juicy Bikes, including our 20" Urban Folder, are available with a choice of 10, 14 or 16AH batteries.
The 16AH version has a RRP of £1,089. The nearest demo available to you, though, is Atmosphere in Bristol.
You may also consider our Classic which is also available with the 16AH option.
Both have 6 gears, the 20" having better climbing ability than the larger wheeled Classic, which is more comfortable over distance.
Hi Bob

Wonder if you can help - I'm in the midlands at the moment, and I'd like to view and try a Juicy Bike - where's the best place to go? Also can you tell me what size frame the classic has please?

Many thanks
Kashka

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Kashka
Come over to Buxton if you can. You can try a few Classics and the weather today is very pleasant.
Trudi and Naomi are on duty today and wil be more than happy to arrange a good demo ride.

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Hi Kashka
Come over to Buxton if you can. You can try a few Classics and the weather today is very pleasant.
Trudi and Naomi are on duty today and wil be more than happy to arrange a good demo ride.
Thanks Bob

Busy today but am now planning a visit for tomorrow - to try a classic and folder, if possible. Can you give me the address please . . . many thanks

Kashka

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Our address is:
5 The Colonnade
Buxton SK17 6AL
See you tomorrow.

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Well, a bit of disaster my bike buying holiday was ~ ended up discovering I have a dodgy ticker, luckily not a heart attack but problems all the same and stint in hospital!

So with only 2 days at the beginning of my week off, I managed to try a few bikes but didn't get to try a Juicy Bike - sorry Bob, that's why I didn't turn up. Anyway, it's a toss up between an Ezee Street or a Raleigh Leeds ~ I'm still resting until I've seen my cardiologist on Tuesday but am determined to get a bike within the next week.

C

Cyclezee

Well, a bit of disaster my bike buying holiday was ~ ended up discovering I have a dodgy ticker, luckily not a heart attack but problems all the same and stint in hospital!

So with only 2 days at the beginning of my week off, I managed to try a few bikes but didn't get to try a Juicy Bike - sorry Bob, that's why I didn't turn up. Anyway, it's a toss up between an Ezee Street or a Raleigh Leeds ~ I'm still resting until I've seen my cardiologist on Tuesday but am determined to get a bike within the next week.
Hi Kashka,

Sorry to hear about your 'ticker' problem. I certainly don't want to exacerbate your condition, but whilst you are resting up I have something else to occupy your thoughts.

What about a conversion? Not you, but any normal bike that you really really like fitted with a conversion kit!
Oh and I just happen to offering 10% discount on eZee kits this month to anyone from Penzance...........and the rest of the UK!

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com

Don't despair! Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago (discovered while riding a tandem uphill, most inconvenient!) Very annoyed - I don't do 'ill'!
JuicyBikes to the rescue - only problem now is to find a suitable hat to match the Classic + wicker basket outfit - Panama? Boater? Tilley?
Very best wishes for an electric future!
Tom

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Sounds like you're in good hands Kashka. Take it easy.

kashka

May 22, 2011
Warwickshire
Thanks guys :)

To John - I don't have the ability for a conversion I'm afraid, but thanks for the suggestion

And to Tom - I hope you are well now, and I know what you mean about not doing "ill" and by the way I think a panama would do the job very well :-D

I have made up my mind - Raleigh Leeds it is - it was the nicest ride out of the 7 I tried, but also the most expensive unfortunately, but then I thought to hell with the expense it's my favourite one.

Thanks to everyone for your help, suggestions and comments.

Kashka