Helmet Cameras

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Did anyone see this piece of footage on Breakfast News?

It looked a pretty close shave for the cyclist, but I can't help thinking that the incident might have been avoided if the cyclist had yielded a bit more to the van. I know that the cyclist was completely in the right and that the van cut him up whilst turning left, but I can't help feeling that the cyclist may have been trying to, perhaps, stand his ground, or prove a point a little too enthusiastically. It's not worth killing yourself over. I don't know, maybe I am looking at it from the wrong point of view.

On a more positive note, the worthless piece of useless bullying filth that was driving the van had to pay £450 and had his licence endorsed with 5 points.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I saw this on lunchtime news and have to agree...LIFE before EGO everytime....

the near miss with the tanker would have probably been enough for me to stop riding for a while:eek:

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
The same thought crossed my mind, the driver's rage was stoked initially by being screamed at by the rider at which point his sense of proportion was lost. Having spent many years riding in London, I learnt to never underestimate the ignorance of others, and if it had been me seeing the bend coming up, I think I'd have been on the brakes well before the van turned in.

On saying that I've also had cause to scream at many motorists in my time, so who really knows how we'd react in such a situation? Riding, particularly in cities is for me a delicate balance between defence and assertiveness.

The worst the driver risked was a dented panel, where as it could have cost the rider his life, something many motorists fail to appreciate in my experience. With any luck they both will learn something from the incident.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Yes, interesting article, thing is, it's hard not to get very angry at them, as a cyclist even a minor knock from a car can mean death, drivers just don't seem to realise this.

The guy did go too far, I suspect he was banging on the side of the van. Either way, the van drivers reaction was probably due to him being quite a small chap. Typical bully behaviour. They've tried it with me, but when they realise the size of me they tend to jump back in their car sharpish.

Funnily enough they wouldn't say boo to me in the first place in my motorbike kit on a big 1200cc bike. These fools must completely believe the "wimpy cyclist" and "tough biker" stereotypes, without realising the same person can be both.

These days I tend to just shake my head in disbelief at some of the things I see. That's easier said than done sometimes with the very near misses that get the adrenaline pumping.

The article did make me seriously consider a helmet camera, but I need one that's rechargeable at work, will cover my 30 minute commute and can be "taped over" each day, while of course being high enough quality to discern numberplates and not costing a fortune.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
camara

Hi

look on eBay item number 260730534486 about £100 delivered and you can clean up i recon you could earn £5,000 week in city centers

All you need is injury layers direct

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, exactly the same reaction as the majority from me when saw this at midday. The cyclist appeared to be looking for trouble and did our cause no good at all.

I didn't think the van too close, I often have them as close or closer in my heavily trafficked area. The report that the van driver was convicted was misleading, I don't doubt that was for the assault, not for any supposed driving incident.

As for the tanker incident, difficult to judge but it appeared the cyclist joined from the right without looking and making allowance for a large vehicle which is very difficult to stop quickly. Even if that was a roundabout which wasn't clear, allowance should be made for a heavy vehicle that is already commited to a course of action. Cyclists really must take more responsibilty in looking out for others, and that includes using a rear view mirror or looking round properly, not just arrogantly expecting others to be able to stop or avoid instantly as so many seem to.

It's bit like "sail before steam". In theory and marine law that might be true, but a supertanker at full speed takes literally miles to stop or manouvre and therefore cannot stop for or avoid a small sail boat.

Last edited:

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Head gear

I think all cyclests E powered on not shold wher a helmet with a
amber strobe on top Be seen

Then the paramedic cyclist can have Green

And the police can have Blue

Frank

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
A friend of mine who knows about such things recommend the Veho Muvi camera, which is £45 from Play.com

Pob

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Big problem is the Police and authorities are so obsessed with speed that bad driving goes unchecked. You can drive like a complete Tw*t but as long as you go through the speed camera at 29mph you are fine :rolleyes:

Back when I was younger there were police cars sat in places here and there and driving around and pulling people over for bad driving. Now traffic police are virtually gone. Bring back traffic cops and scrap cameras!

No respect for other people. I ride a motorbike and car /van drivers treat you like crap and almost try and pull out in front of you it seems - jealousy because of your ability to overtake and filter through traffic jams easily.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Yes, exactly the same reaction as the majority from me when saw this at midday. The cyclist appeared to be looking for trouble and did our cause no good at all.

I didn't think the van too close, I often have them as close or closer in my heavily trafficked area. The report that the van driver was convicted was misleading, I don't doubt that was for the assault, not for any supposed driving incident.

As for the tanker incident, difficult to judge but it appeared the cyclist joined from the right without looking and making allowance for a large vehicle which is very difficult to stop quickly. Even if that was a roundabout which wasn't clear, allowance should be made for a heavy vehicle that is already commited to a course of action. Cyclists really must take more responsibilty in looking out for others, and that includes using a rear view mirror or looking round properly, not just arrogantly expecting others to be able to stop or avoid instantly as so many seem to.

It's bit like "sail before steam". In theory and marine law that might be true, but a supertanker at full speed takes literally miles to stop or manouvre and therefore cannot stop for or avoid a small sail boat.

I agree that the cyclist was making a point by holding his road position - I have been in this situation on many occasions and you have no choice but to scrub off your hard earned speed. However the van driver was in the wrong and clearly too close (read, I think, highway code rule 136). I understand in the real world these things happen but he was driving without due care and attention AND it was a pointless overtake - the traffic was grinding to a halt with heavy traffic up the road anyway. This is typical of London traffic so just who was making the point?

So of the two people making a point I side with the cyclist who probably has already had 10 drivers making the same point (that slow cyclist shouldn't be on the road holding up superior powered vehicles). You only need to go to the comments page after any article on cycling to see the level of ignorance about cycling. Many drivers believe that they are nothing more than pedestrians on the road and have similar rights i.e. you are in my way and are holding me up - oh except when it come to lights etc then they must be considered as a vehicle. It is all a bit hypocritical really.

As for the tanker - yes it was a roundabout and you give way to the right regardless of whether you are driving a tanker or bicycle. If you drive something that takes longer to stop, you leave more room (and yes I have an HGV3 licence somewhere in my attic). He just didn't see the cyclist full stop - should he have been prosecuted? Sure thing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We'll have to agree to differ Hal, I find that attitude just a little intolerant.

The way I see it is that we do not compete for road space, we share it, and that implies some give and take, making allowance for others, something so often lacking in cyclists.

I'm particularly unhappy with the way that most cyclists on busy roads have no regard for what is going on behind them and just expect everybody to make any allowance they selfishly need. All other vehicles are required to have rear view mirrors, and as about the slowest vehicles out there and therefore the most overtaken, of all vehicles, bikes should have at least one.

Whether cyclist speed is hard won is completely irrelevant, we are free to choose what vehicle we use and others should not bear the cost of our choices, they are our costs. If courtesy and road safety means it's advisable to lose speed in a certain circumstance, we should accept that as the cost of our choice of vehicle. With electric assist there is even less excuse for refusing to make advisable allowances.

I'm also ex HGV and I know that many drivers are far from perfect, but it doesn't help when cyclists join in with bad behaviour and intolerance, it just makes life worse for all. In my view the cyclist yelling in the latter examples was just out looking for trouble.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Having watched the video again, the van appears to be past the cyclist with his left hand indicator on. Next, the cyclist almost chases after the van to get along side him to make his point.

Theres no doubt that the overtake by the van driver was pointless and dangerous, but as already mentioned by several others, it isn't the best example of good cycling either.

I'm afraid that all yelling and shouting will get you is a good punch on the nose. As demonstrated in the video.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
We'll have to agree to differ Hal, I find that attitude just a little intolerant.

The way I see it is that we do not compete for road space, we share it, and that implies some give and take, making allowance for others, something so often lacking in cyclists.

I'm particularly unhappy with the way that most cyclists on busy roads have no regard for what is going on behind them and just expect everybody to make any allowance they selfishly need. All other vehicles are required to have rear view mirrors, and as about the slowest vehicles out there and therefore the most overtaken, of all vehicles, bikes should have at least one.

Whether cyclist speed is hard won is completely irrelevant, we are free to choose what vehicle we use and others should not bear the cost of our choices, they are our costs. If courtesy and road safety means it's advisable to lose speed in a certain circumstance, we should accept that as the cost of our choice of vehicle. With electric assist there is even less excuse for refusing to make advisable allowances.

I'm also ex HGV and I know that many drivers are far from perfect, but it doesn't help when cyclists join in with bad behaviour and intolerance, it just makes life worse for all. In my view the cyclist yelling in the latter examples was just out looking for trouble.

I am confused - are you saying that the highway code is irrelevant and to be ignored? My point is entirely relevant to the highway code - your overtaking manoeuvre is not supposed to cause another vehicle to slow down or change course. In this case the van driver clearly caused both. I am not saying that what the cyclist then does is fine but I strongly suspect that due to the way the camera angles work that the van is nearer than it appears. By the way there are some drivers that think it is fine do these things if you indicate - again not correct.

I will give you an example on a main road on the way home near Palmers Green. Cars intermittently parked on the left, not enough room to overtake a bicycle due to oncoming cars. The right choice of course is to move over when you can to let the cars overtake and I have tried this on many occasions but as I believe the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome, this is no longer my approach. I do not move over as if I did I would never get back out again - somehow drivers seem to 'forget' that it is in fact my right of way (or "where did he come from, these cyclist just come out of nowhere!") and I shouldn't have to ask some sort of permission to ride down the road.

I do suspect that your opinion is set by your years as a car/van/lorry driver and if you rode as a commuter rather than doing a bit for leisure you would be a bit more sympathetic to what is quite frankly bullying by one section of the population by another. By the way if you go on a cycling course you will be told to use your road position to hold back the traffic in a way I suspect you would fined horrifying.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
By the way if you go on a cycling course you will be told to use your road position to hold back the traffic in a way I suspect you would fined horrifying.
I'm frankly staggered at you saying this after your long membership in this forum Hal, I've repeatedly posted about how the correct way is to dominate the traffic where necessary and it's what I normally do. Anfd I have been cycling for 64 years, the last 43 in London Boroughs.

But as I pointed out in the "sail before steam" example previously, commonsense takes precedence over laws and official advice which by their nature at time of setting, cannot suit all circumstances.

There's a jingle about the international marine regulations about giving way that ends with these lines about the character "Jolly Jack Tar":

He was right, dead right, as he sailed along
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

Last edited:

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
He was right, dead right, as he sailed along
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
Or as I was going to put it, treat arsholes the same way as you do potholes. Even though they're annoying and shouldn't be there, they're dangerous so make alowances for them and give them a wide berth.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I'm frankly staggered at you saying this after your long membership in this forum Hal, I've repeatedly posted about how the correct way is to dominate the traffic where necessary and it's what I normally do.

Of course I know and also know you can take a joke (and provocative posts). As to your ditty all I can say is that I am still here after years of cycling and would never push my right of way when my life is threatened. Would you believe the othere day a lorry drew along side me and turned left - I would have thought after all the publicity that wouldn't happen (and yes I do have a mirror).

I assume that most drivers are like goldfish with a memory problem - I suppose to them we just magically disappear when their car/van draws along side us and out of their line of sight- I have taken to saying "still here, still here" in a loud voice but of course that won't work with vans. The constant cutting up does get wearing when it happens time and time again in a journey.

While I am not one for cussing and shouting on the odd occasions I have calmly asked drivers what I had done to upset them and the result is always the same - through all the expletives - you got in my f****ing way, get out of my way you c***t. On one occasion it was because I stopped at a crossing to let a pedestrian cross the road and he had been forced to stop. Obviously I am not surrounding myself with any of Flecc's Karmic Bubble...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I assume that most drivers are like goldfish with a memory problem - I suppose to them we just magically disappear when their car/van draws along side us and out of their line of sight-
That's surely the point Hal, we do indeed disappear and shouldn't expect others to make allowances for what they can no longer see. After passing us their concentration, such as it is, is on the next set of events facing them, not the history. The only exception I make to that is when they intend a left turn of course, since they are already aware of that as they are passing us. Left turning in those circumstances is clearly inexcusable, but I'm just resigned that it happens and half expect it, so am ready for it happening. Imperfect world full of imperfect people etc. :(

Obviously I am not surrounding myself with any of Flecc's Karmic Bubble...
Well I make that for myself as follows Hal, whatever my transport is. :)

I am always content to give way if advisable, even to the worst of road louts.

I automatically give way to public transport which is serving the community, I'm just serving myself.

I make an especial effort to give way for pedestrians no matter how stupidly they behave. That even includes making an "invisible" crossing point for them when the difficulty of their circumstances makes that helpful.

I'm always ready to slow down and have a ready smile for others.

This does inconvenience and delay at times, but it does also have a calming effect on others and often evokes politeness from them.

But the delay is offset when cycling by the ability to filter to the front in traffic, so that, together with the benefits of improved behaviours all round makes my approach worth it to me. I just prefer to live in a pleasant world, even if I have to make it that myself.

D

Deleted member 4366

I looked at the video several times and have come to the conclusion tat the van moved infront of the cyclist just before the corner and then put his LH indicator on as if to cut across. A frightening experience for the cyclist. He shouted as loud as he could because his bell wouldn't have been heard by the van driver. He could've braked and let the van driver go for safety and that would have been the end of the matter, I guess he was watching carefully while proceding and ready to brake if the van driver had cut directly accross. At that point I think you could say that the van driver had a blatant disregard for the cyclists right of way and deserved everything he got. What happened after that didn't make either of them look good, but the van driver must have been too close for the cyclist to kick at it.
Today I was riding back rom the town centre and passed the entrance to a primary school at closing time. The cycle path merges into the school access road (public highway) just before the gate. Where the road starts, so does the pavement, but nobody was using the pavement. All the parents were taking their kids and pushchairs along the road because not many cars go along it, it being a dead-end. I slowly navigated my way round the crowd standing on the road at the gate, sounding my horn appropriately and people moved to make more room, although they looked a little disgruntled A little bit away from the gate a mother had a small child on each arm and was walking along the right side of the road with her back to me taking up about half of it. I slowed down. but chose not to use my horn because I had plenty of room to pass and I was worried from previous experience that people tend to turn into me rather than keep away. At exactly the point of no-return, the little girl on the right let go of her mum and dashed straight accross in front of me. A second nature helped make me ready, but I was only just able to stop in time. It was very close! If I had hit her, I don't believe that I would've been able to defend my case in court. A camera would have shown that I had no chance, so I'm getting one.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
As we dont have collision insurance companies to fight in our corner, a camera does indeed seem to be a good solution. I too am leaning towards getting one for my commute.