soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
for what lol ;)

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Bought an Aldi snowboard helmet today. Probably wouldn't have, had it not been for this thread. Went out for a ride wearing it. It was very warm and comfortable, but not sure if it will give me any more protection than the old bobble hat that I used to wear. Found the old hat in the bottom of my wardrobe, may give it a try tomorrow. After all I have only had 1 accident in 55 years and the hat is only about 40 years old. In my younger years I rode between 6,000 and 10,000 miles a year. So the stats are in my favour and the woolly hat looks and feels much better.

Snowboarders seem quite happy not wearing an aldi helmet.

Anyone know where I can purchase a new bobble. The original one has gone the way of my hair!

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It takes me back to infant school when we used the cardboard top off the one third milk bottles to make pom-poms.

Before foil became the norm, the cardboard had the centre so it could be popped to allow a straw to be inserted.

Little fingers could easily wrap the wool around through the centre hole to make the bobbles. It was like the Tribbles in Star-Trek, they were everywhere.

Don't think I could do it today though.

Reactions: jdallan

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
It takes me back to infant school when we used the cardboard top off the one third milk bottles to make pom-poms.

Before foil became the norm, the cardboard had the centre so it could be popped to allow a straw to be inserted.

Little fingers could easily wrap the wool around through the centre hole to make the bobbles. It was like the Tribbles in Star-Trek, they were everywhere.

Don't think I could do it today though.
I'm sure I could still do it. At my infant school we used a darning needle as far as I can remember - much easier to get the wool through the hole. Of course that was in the days before Health and Safety made normal activities dangerous.

Jim

Reactions: flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I'm sure I could still do it. At my infant school we used a darning needle as far as I can remember - much easier to get the wool through the hole. Of course that was in the days before Health and Safety made normal activities dangerous.

Jim
We were to poor to have darning needles.

newboater

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
we had 1 darning needle in our road ,and when our turn came round ,my mother took it . but could not afford the wool

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
we had 1 darning needle in our road ,and when our turn came round ,my mother took it . but could not afford the wool
"Ours" was the single Scottish darning needle which was circulated to schools on a need to use basis. Availability of wool depended on how fast the local sheep could run.

Jim

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Time to retell my Aldi helmet purchase story.

At the checkout, the young man asked: "Is that for you?"

"Yes," I replied. "I'm going to use it on my bicycle."

"Ah," he said. "I thought you didn't look like a snowboarder."

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Time to retell my Aldi helmet purchase story.

At the checkout, the young man asked: "Is that for you?"

"Ah," he said. "I thought you didn't look like a snowboarder."

You're lucky, the conversation could have gone this way:

"Ah," he said. "Shouldn't you use it on your head?"

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

:cool:

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am glad I wasn't born in that penal colony! :rolleyes: OK so NZ has a helmet law too... :oops: But that Sydney bloke, man is he the one, cyclists must carry ID, removing cycle lanes!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And it isn't just anti-cycling law, from everything I've learnt, so many Australian laws appear to be either excessive or excessively enforced.

I find their restrictive attitudes so repugnant that I have never wanted to even visit the place, despite invitations to do so.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
All the convicts became good old aussie blokes and sheilas and the wardens became politicians and bureaucrats... Inferiority complex has pushed them to out British bureaucrat the British and out stupid the Americans. Non politician and non bureaucrat Aussies can be quite nice people.

NZ migration officers aren't too bad when it comes down to it. I had to say to the nice gentleman three times in reply to his question "What are you doing here?" "I have come to bury my father". The third time I pumped up the volume enough so that half the airport knew why I was there and his supervisor came over, looked at my NZ passport and let me in the damned country!

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
And it isn't just anti-cycling law, from everything I've learnt, so many Australian laws appear to be either excessive or excessively enforced.

I find their restrictive attitudes so repugnant that I have never wanted to even visit the place, despite invitations to do so.
You're missing out there Flecc. I have visited Sydney, the east coast and Daintree and it's a pretty wonderful, welcoming place to visit.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You're missing out there Flecc. I have visited Sydney, the east coast and Daintree and it's a pretty wonderful, welcoming place to visit.
It was Sydney I was invited to, by an ex-pat friend saying how wonderful and how much better everything was. But after three years he came back here and has never returned to Australia!

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
Not suggesting I'd want to live there, I love good old Blighty. But still a great place to spend a few weeks in.