HELP!!! Ezee Torq2 playing up

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
I must be bloody jinxed!

Now my torq is misbehaving. In pedal assist mode the power will sometimes cut out necessitating closure of the throttle. Once the throttle's opened up again it's generally okay. Though this morning the power dipped out again and needed to be shut off once more.

On pure power the bike has developed an alarming tendency to pull away despite the throttle being shut off. It's not at full speed, but it's certainly noticeable. I've just watched the bike drag itself across my patio.

If anyone has any idea on what's wrong, or even better how to fix it I'd be very grateful.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds like it could be a faulty throttle with a magnet adrift in it Rad.

That could cut or apply the power unpredictable like that, while closing the throttle could temporarily push the magnet back roughly into place. These throttles mostly have two magnets, one at each end of travel, so that the magnetic field varies as it passes a Hall sensor to signal the amount of power the controller must deliver. A few have a single long curved magnet, but the effect is the same, a field at each end of travel.

It has a handy five way connector so a new throttle is easily fitted, and I'd suggest you try a new one from Onbike to see if that solves the problem. Maybe they'll let you try one momentarily without committing to final purchase. They can be opened up to check inside, but stripping them can be a bit tricky.

For all Sales, Service & General Enquiries

info@onbike.co.uk

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
dont really know enough to help except I know how frustrating it can be when all you want from a bike is for it to work, not a lot to ask is it.....

Our old 705SE had a problem with the sensors on the crank. power would cut briefly as if the brakes had been put on,but nothing as alarming as your bike running away on its own......Can you not bring it back to the dealer?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I must be bloody jinxed!

Now my torq is misbehaving. In pedal assist mode the power will sometimes cut out necessitating closure of the throttle. Once the throttle's opened up again it's generally okay. Though this morning the power dipped out again and needed to be shut off once more.

On pure power the bike has developed an alarming tendency to pull away despite the throttle being shut off. It's not at full speed, but it's certainly noticeable. I've just watched the bike drag itself across my patio.

If anyone has any idea on what's wrong, or even better how to fix it I'd be very grateful.
My Torq 1 exhibited these faults at some time in its life. Certainly the bike should be turned off when not in use as I found to my cost it would walk occasionally - it might be the return spring is weak or catching on something. I also had the cutting out/closing the throttle routine and 50 cycles (distributors at the time) found the internal connections to the battery were causing this. Other than that I think the throttle replacement is the next step as Flecc says.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Eddieo, I can't take it back to a dealer as it was a private sale.

HarryB, interesting that you mention the internal connections to the battery. I've noticed that sometimes the battery light will go out, not flash as if the brake cut off is applied or if there is a problem. Just wink off and then come back on. It's a Phylion though and probably different to the battery you had on your Torq1.

Flecc, thanks for the link to Onbike, I was thinking of contacting them as a next step. Either that or contacting Ezee direct.

Cheers all. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Jo, would that be the fuse on the battery itself?

Just been speaking with onbike and have bought a new throttle. Hopefully that'll sort it. Thanks again everyone. :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's two fuses on the Phylion Rad, one internal shown as number six on this photo below from my Torq Talk website. I doubt it's this though, since a battery connection dropping out couldn't make the bike take off on it's own.

I can only envisage either the throttle, or a faulty controller, or a throttle wiring short circuit capable of doing that.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks Flecc, but as I'm sure you know I've the technical expertise of a hummingbird. :D I doubt I'd even have the balls to crack the battery case.

joab

Pedelecer
Check the external fuse on the battery, once on my kit it came loose resulting in cutting out. I had a simular problem with the throttle after been in the rain all day. Drying the bike in house solved that problem.
Regards,
Jo

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Cheers Jo, I did have a look at the external fuse and that looked fine to me. I do wonder if water ingress may be the problem, as I've had some absolutely foul commutes lately. Hopefully I'll have my new throttle soon and can at least rule out a throttle problem.