Help! Is there a market for the Wisper Wayfarer?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
It is the design, engineering and qualified labour that costs the money, not the raw material.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
24K CF?

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The truth is that all carbon used to create bikes or cars is the same as Aerospace grade, it just comes without the super high levels of certification needed in the aerospace industry and is therefore less expensive. Regarding the stiffness and lightness of the carbon, we use three different levels. If we were to use super light super stiff carbon everywhere the bike would be brittle. The key is to use the correct grade carbon in the right areas. This is why making a good carbon frame is expensive. In our full sus carbon frame there are over 800 separate pieces of carbon sheet, each frame takes two weeks for one person to make. As kiwi says, the carbon itself isn’t expensive, it’s the skilled labour that costs the money, that and the tooling.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so can china even make a aerospace grade frame that would pass certification and how much more would it cost?

looks like it would be at least x3 the price if not more as most would end up in the bin as not to spec like intel does to high end cpus that are binned or sold as lower end products.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Of course they can as can the Taiwanese. This where most if the high end frames come from. None end up in the bin.

You don’t need aerospace certification for a bike. No one has aerospace certification.

All the best, David

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You don’t need aerospace certification for a bike.

but id want it tho not that i could afford a 10k plus frame ;)

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
What would be the weight advantage to a carbon ebike? How low can you feasibly get the weight, are we looking at 10% lighter overall or 20-30%?

I have a carbon road bike with di2, it feels as though it weighs nothing, I think weight is a major issue for ebikes, they are tanks, I think lowering the weight should be an ongoing aim, I think there are some people who will pay to have a much lighter ebike, like they do with road and mountain bikes.

However, I’m not sure heavy people would pay double to lose a couple of KG in weight, however enthusiasts might. Of coarse there are those who just might be prepared to pay extra just because it is carbon.

Personally, I wouldn’t pay that sort of money for a step through frame, if it was a high performance mountain bike, that significantly undercuts the weight of the competition, while remaining strong, that would be a tempting proposition, I guess I’m just not the target market you’re aiming at.

Reactions: Jazzman007

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
David

I've been looking at the Sven Swift at £3500. He makes his own frames and uses Shimano motor gears di2 with Gates Belt.

If yours offers similar at similar prices I'd rather wait for it. Those extra kgs saved would help with lifting onto my bike rack.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What would be the weight advantage to a carbon ebike? How low can you feasibly get the weight, are we looking at 10% lighter overall or 20-30%?
about 1.5kgs, 8%-10% of the total weight of an e-bike.

This frame in aluminium alloy weighs 2.5kgs. If made in CF, it would weigh just over 1kg.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
[QUOTE="Crockers, post: 444772, member: 12240"Those extra kegs saved would help with lifting onto my bike rack.[/QUOTE]

Always worth saving a few kegs for post-ride rehydration.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
it's Shimano E7000, battery is 500WH.
Price for E7000 + 500WH on alloy frame will start at around £2k.
What is the E7000 motor?.
Currently there is E6000 (50nm urban), E8000 (70nm eMTB) and just announced E6100 (??nm city/trekking).

Some think there is market for more capable stepthrough see
R&M Nevo, Homage
CENTURION E-Fire Country
AVE TH11 ADVENTURE STEPTHROUGH.

Please use 27.5 wheels not 700c. Lot more options for quality shocks and tyres.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What is the E7000 motor?.
I did copy and paste that bit of information without thinking!

We have designed a new step through frame in carbon. Our target audience is larger, heavier riders wanting a stiff, solid, light weight frame with high end components. Shimano 7000 series and in frame removable battery. The bike will retail between £3,500 and £4,500 depending on specs.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Just a wee comment. If you're aiming for the larger rider would the e8000 motor be a better option as I believe it has more torque lower down ie should be quicker off the mark for the larger ebiker

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Julie, altough weight is very important. It’s also about the stiffness of the frame. Under load an alloy step through will flex giving a less positive ride and sapping rider energy.

Hi Stumpi and Trevor, the E7000 will be launched at Euroshop, in a few weeks. There will be four Shimano motors that would fit our frame depending on the preferences of the rider. The E5000, E6100, E7000 or the E8000. If a rider preferred the E8000 we could fit it, but for city and trekking the E7000 will probably be better.

All the best, David

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumpi

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
to me, the main reason to use CF is the diameter of the tubes. If you want a lightweight aluminium alloy frame, you have to reduce the diameter of the tubing, otherwise, you run the risk of the frame collapsing like a beer can. CF lets you make frames with much larger tubes without worrying about the weight.

• Agree

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
Sorry to be off topic, but talking about new types of ebikes, is there such a thing as an electric gravel bike? I think it would be a great alrounder, nice on road with a more relaxed geometry than a pure road bike, able to go on moderate off road tracks, great for bike packing, could easily be adapted for commuting, I'd like to see one with a rear hub motor.