Help me buy an ebike

Mahi

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2023
I am new to ebike, and to be frank, I didn't cycle much after my childhood. Having moved to a new town full of steep hills, I am thinking of buying an ebike but in budget as I may not use it for a longer time.

Does Apollo metis work better on hills? Halfords says it does, but what is everyone's opinion here? Or is there any other better one you would suggest in <800£?

Thanks in advance.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Apollo is associated with very low budget and poor quality bikes.
Check Eleglide, maybe you can find something interesting

Reactions: Saracen and Mahi

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
What town ? can you give an example of a hill that you want to be able to cycle up ? How heavy are you ? (Determines how powerful the bike needs to be )

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
With your budget your limited to the bottom end of the new ebike market or perhaps 2nd hand or even conversion kits buying a bargain 2nd hand bike for the upgrade. the best vfm and probably result would be from converting a suitable donor bike imho as your able to select a kit with the best motor/battery combo for your needs. and fit to a bike also fitted to your needs.

2 key features to look for in a possible donor for ebike conversion are Disk brakes and some form of suspension, as with the capacity to ride at a constant 15mph many roads are a bumpy ride at this speed and at 15mph you still want to stop rapidly when needed..

dont dismiss the bottom end of the new market ebay/amazon special offers can sometimes offer real bargains.. if one takes your fancy post a link here for comment.. the problem is when you pay less and the seller still makes a profit that profit generally comes from 2nd rate components and with ebikes this means a less than optimal battery all too often..

Be mindful of replacement battery costs too, especially for bikes that have built in batteries that are 1 off designs that may not be available when you need it. Someone posted a link from halfords suggesting a dead ebike battery means its time for a new ebike..

Another advantage of a conversion is the use of modular and fairly standard unit components while a Branded ebike may have specific brand only parts and spares and closed system control again requiring a replacement bike if the handlebar display goes phutz

Buying an ebike and getting good vfm can be a project in itself, best provide as many details of where and when you want to ebike for best advice, and perhaps specific recommendations. Not your postcode but the length and height of hills to conquer etc.. If really hilly (swansea uplands) then a mid drive motor that uses the bikes gears could be the best bet but if like me you just have one semi big hill on your way home to beat that may not be necessary..

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
The eleglide M2 seems out of stock (was selling for £699 on geekbuying)

Maybe this one but in the title it describes itself as 750w therefore illegal to ride in the UK, but in the description it says 250w / max assist speed 25 km/h

But decent size battery and 48v

Reactions: Mahi

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Mahi

Oct 30, 2023
I live in Torquay and some hills are really steep. The road I live in, I would describe it as about 60degrees slope. I am very little, weigh about 50-53kgs, so i dont fancy taking a heavier bike of half my weight in itself.

Thanks for all the suggestions, really appreciate it. They are really helpful. I think i should probably increase my budget to get a better bike, but I wont be using it for long time (definitely not more than 3months).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reading your last post, it seems to me that a 20" folding bike may be better for you because cheap larger bikes will be heavy to push up a hill leave alone riding them up a hill unpowered. Climbing steep hills with smaller wheels is easier with the same power. I suggest you look at the Woosh Rambletta:
Https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My sister is 74 years old and 5ft 2". She loves her Woosh Rambletta. It'll certainly do what you want. I didn't mention it before because it was above your budget, but that's the price you pay for a bike from a proper dealer with proper support. Unfortunately, I can't count Halfords in the category because forum members seem to have too many problems with them.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
@boyabouttown was comparing the rambletta against his comparatively expensive Ribble cgr al e up hills.

At 50 kg I think you will fly up hills

If you couldn't afford that I noticed there are a lot of second hand electric bikes around Torquay on Facebook marketplace and eBay, obviously more of a risk, but if you find one you like post it here for comments

Eg Wisper 705 but be careful battery ok (would cost £255 to replace battery)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mahi and Woosh

Mahi

Oct 30, 2023
How about electra townie 7d step thru?? I couldn't find the battery specifications anywhere. Did anyone try this bike?? I might get it at 900£ with cyclescheme.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Townnie 7D is very stylish, american beach style bike. Too big for you.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
I suggest you use google

GOOGLE

(make of bike) reviews

eg

Halfords apollo metis review

and so on

READ THIS, and google (Hub or mid drive bike, mid drive beat hub)

While it’s generally less sophisticated, a hub drive system offers simplicity, lower cost, and enough pedal-assist power for commuting, and even off-road applications.… But if you’re after more performance and better handling, look for a mid-drive system.

"ESPECIALLY HILLS"

Reactions: naiad

Mahi

Oct 30, 2023
MI rider vs Basics osprey electric folding bikes?? Which one would you suggest??

I tried googling for reviews and didnt find any. Probably looking at a wrong a place, I dont know.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mi rider has a number of folding e-bikes. Which one are you interested in?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Both are suitable for your height and weight. However, the Basis Osprey is relatively heavy with the front zoom suspension fork and lack of front disc brakes where most of the braking is done, the Mi rider One has a single speed so a bit short on what we call 'gear inches' when you want to ride a bit faster on a flat road. Both have smallish battery capacity so when you climb a long and steep hill, they may run out of puff. If I had to pick one, then it will be the Mi rider.

Reactions: Mahi and thelarkbox
J

jianchi

I like ebike, on the weekend, I like to ride the ebike to the park with my friends, the price is among $1500-$2500. I feel that this price is still a little expensive, like the bicycle is much cheaper, but there is still many people like riding ebike. My boyfriend likes to take me out on it, ebike is better to use than bicycle.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I like ebike, on the weekend, I like to ride the ebike to the park with my friends, the price is among $1500-$2500. I feel that this price is still a little expensive, like the bicycle is much cheaper, but there is still many people like riding ebike. My boyfriend likes to take me out on it, ebike is better to use than bicycle.
All bikes they sell are illegal in UK.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All bikes they sell are illegal in UK.
I think you are likely replying to a BOT , looking at the way the post is constructed.

Reactions: Woosh