!!!!! HELP me with my 26" Bafang Rear Wheel Build please !!!!!

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Hi All

After much reading and googling i have had my kit delivered this morning :D

Can not believe the weight of the wheel !!

Also there are NO INSTRUCTIONS at all ????

Anyway this is the kit i had -

1. BAFANG BPM 36V500W REAR DRIVING BIKE CONVERSION KIT - 26" / 201 RP - £112
Bafang BPM 36V500W Rear Driving Bike Conversion Kit - BMSBATTERY

2. 14-28 TEETH FREEWHEEL - - 7 SPEED - £5
14-28 Teeth Freewheel - BMSBATTERY

3. A PAIR OF EBIKE TORQUE ARM - 10
EBike Torque Arm

4. TWIST GRIP THROTTLE -£1
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=36928

6. HWBS - HIDDEN WIRE BRAKE SENSOR 1PCS - £4
HWBS - Hidden Wire Brake Sensor 1pcs - BMSBATTERY

Don't know where to start...lol

This is the 18" bike i am using -

Carrera Kraken Review - BikeRadar

First off i noticed there is no rim tape on the wheel ?

So going to get some 19mm of this -

VELOX BIKE WHEELS CLOTH RIM TAPE - (Sizes: 10, 13, 16, 19, 22 mm) | eBay

Also getting a set of these tyres - 26x 1.75"

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Smartguard Rigid Tyre All Sizes | eBay

What do you reckon ?

Cheers

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I'll leave the kit fitting advice to those who've fitted the BPM kits.

If you're going to do some riding off-road with that ideal bike for it, the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyre comes in other tread patterns more suitable for that than the road pattern you've linked to.

Crossover road and off-road version

Full off-road version
I will only be commuting, so faster/slicker the better, i have another mountain bike for off road.

The rear Bafang wheel states 26" x 1.5 " do i get that size ?

The existing tyres are 26" x 1.75" ??

Cheers

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Also had x3 twist grip throttles ? All are half twist.

Which one of these is best ? Read somewhere about water entering them with LED type ??

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Just opened up the controller as others have suggested to check the value of the capacitors and as others have found the pcb is not situated in the slider/holder.

I am sure this is done on purpose, when fitted correctly there are connections virtually touching the case.

Anyone noticed this ?

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
I had exactly the same. Take the board out and slide the PCB back onto the 'shelf'.

I also put some sheet inbetween the board and the case.

Out of the throttle, I used the top; but the LED one will probs do the same.

I have just bought 2 x Maxxis Hookworms 26". 2 for £50 delivered. I used the Schwalbe Big Apples and didn't really rate them.

I also use tyre liners, work really well.

Its real easy to fit, just mount one part at a time and ill guide you through the rest when needed.

D

Deleted member 4366

That controller's bad. The pcb should be in the slot on the side opposite the FETs, but not in the FET side. You have to take out the three screws in the side to extract it.

The tyres should be OK. If you want best performance, Schwalbe City Jets 26 x 1.95 are good, but not puncture proof.

Your first job is to try-fit the back wheel. The anti-rotation washers go on the inside of the drop-outs. Check whether the rim's central. If not, you have to dish it. Even if you don''t need to dish it, you have to check and tighten the spokes. For that you need a 13G spoke key. The ones BMSBattery sell are pretty good. You can get similar ones on Ebay, but it's a bit of a lottery how good they fit. Just thought. Don't dish it 'til you've sorted the free-wheel. See below.

Next thing to think about is a cobalt drill to drill the torque arm. Either get a set (always useful) or at least 3mm and 5mm. They're fairly cheap on Ebay, but make sure you get 5% cobalt, not cobalt coated.

Don't waste your time with the pedal sensor. It'll be too fierce. Maybe later think about one of those £60 750w Conhismotor controllers with LCD display and variable PAS.

You might have trouble fitting those throttles. If you do, I've got the small thumb throttle that fits. I ordered a couple as spares with my last battery.

The 14T free-wheel will be too low. You might as well order a 11T one from Cyclezee now. It'll save a lot of messing about later. I think he has two types. The DNP one needs spacers, so you might be better off with the other one whatever it is. Ask to check the stack-height. The 7 speed BMSBattery one is 35mm and requires two washers as spacers. The DNP one is 39mm, so as well as needing a 6mm spacer, it'll be a tight squeeze to fit it between your drop-outs.
Which battery did you get?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
^^ 44.4v 15ah Turnigy lipo (6 x 6s 5000)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I will only be commuting, so faster/slicker the better, i have another mountain bike for off road.

The rear Bafang wheel states 26" x 1.5 " do i get that size ?

The existing tyres are 26" x 1.75" ??

Cheers
Either will be ok, but since the stiff Marathon Plus tyres are on the uncomfortable side due to the thick protective inner layer, I'd prefer the larger width at a slightly lower pressure.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I run 2.1 26" Marathon Plus MTB tyres on that 1.5 rim from BMS. Tight, but no problem fitting it. You can comfortably go anything up to that or maybe even a little higher if you wanted to. So basically choose the tyre you want and it should be fine.

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
When i put the controller as it should be fitted the main live shorts to the casing !!!

I have put a few layers of insulation tape on bottom of the board to support it and insulate it.

Got cobalt bits from drilling copper in work.

The freewheel i have is as you say 14-28t and is indeed 35mm.

Bit confused as the best route to go with this, i understand the need for 11t at higher speeds.

Cyclezee supply DNP Freewheel 7 speed 11/32t ?

Unsure of the best route to go....Will have a play later.

Cheers guys.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
The 11t is the way to go, and not too bad for £25.

At 30mph though, chances are you wont want to be pedaling much. I would try the cheap freewheel and see how you find it.

D

Deleted member 4366

The other possibility is a 52T or 53T on the front, but that means messing about with your front derailleur, and makes a chain-guard tricky.

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I remember having a 11-23t on my road bike, fast but could not get up hills.

Think i will get the 11t first as last, never knew they done them for mountain bikes.

Wurly the wheel is a code 11 :cool:

Why is everyone getting 2" or 2.1" tyres ? Is there a reason for this ?? Weight perhaps ???

I am mainly from a road bike background and always rode 23c tyres. Less surface area the more efficient.

That's why i am considering the 1.75" marathons ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why is everyone getting 2" or 2.1" tyres ? Is there a reason for this ?? Weight perhaps ???

I am mainly from a road bike background and always rode 23c tyres. Less surface area the more efficient.

As Schwalbe themselves point out, this isn't necessarily true. For a given pressure the narrow tyre has a longer contact patch, the wider tyre a shorter but wider contact patch, both equal in area. To make the narrow tyre more efficient through a smaller contact patch requires a higher pressure, adding to discomfort, and on the stiff Marathon Plus tyres that can mean a more uncomfortable ride from the unsprung rear of your bike.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

Guess it's the different mindset - you're not going to beat any speed records on an eBike (even a 500W job) so the relative discomfort and need for higher tyre pressure in skinny tyres goes against the general tide of a comfortable ride at lower max speeds than a racing bike where you suffer in silence to be super-fast, something you give up the minute you fit a big motor and battery on your bike.

Edit : - crossed with flecc

You can run lower pressures on bigger tyres to get more ride comfort and definitely better setup for bad road conditions or using on off-road or semi-offroad routes. I run 1.75s on my 700C with good front suspension and it's fine locked out on lovely tarmac, but still relatively grot belting along rubbish road surfaces with grilles, potholes and the usual urban / semi-urban conditions at 15-20mph. The big fat MTB tyres on 26" MTB are far more comfortable ride, even in town.... albeit the MTB saddle and riding position ensure the comfort from the tyres is negated by the frame geometry. So bringing you about full-circle to make sure one way or another you don't get it all !

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I remember having a 11-23t on my road bike, fast but could not get up hills.
You didn't have 1500w of battery power helping you. With a 14T top gear, you'll be in top all the time, and you simply won't be able to pedal fast enough to keep up with the motor. It'll make more sense as soon as you start riding it.

A bit of a result getting the code 11. That should give about 25mph without pedalling with 12S lipos.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
According to your link on your first post you asked for a 201 rpm? they sent you a code 11???
I think they made a mistake and sent you a 328rpm. It really is down to luck of the draw with BMSBattery, you never know what you are going to get.
Code 11 will be pretty fast, 11t freewheel is what you need and you'll need to wire up the speed switch.