Help needed... Cant decide which bike to buy

James Self

Just Joined
Jan 17, 2018
Portsmouth
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice as I've been looking at e bikes all month and cannot decide which would be best for my needs. I am looking for a bike primarily to commute back and forth from work including up a fairly steep 1.2km incline on which is a busy road. I also want to use the bike for family riding through trails, country paths etc so got to be ok on gravel, bit of mud etc.

My price range is £1000-£1300 although I would prefer the lower unless I can get a big jump in quality for the higher prices. I am a 5'7 male weighing about 95kg.

I wasn't really sure where to start so tested the Vulcan and Crossfire at halfords and I have today tried an Ebco and pulse (Ebco's budget brand) at a local bike shop.

I tried the Halfords model up the aforementioned hill climb and it was more than adequate although I worry about their service and quality and have read about the cutouts they suffer from. The Ebco was a step-through with a crank-motor but I didn't really notice the difference between the wheel mounted bikes although I was possibly distracted as I didn't like the shape of the bike. I tried a pulse ZR-5 briefly that I liked as it had Hub gears which I prefer although the motor was front mounted which im unsure would be good on the hill in the rain.

Can anyone give me any advice on further bikes I should be looking at in this price range? I really like the idea of Hub gears as I always seem to have problems with standard gears and I also think I would prefer the battery pack in the middle of the bike.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

James

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hubs gears on ebikes aren't common and then tend to push the price higher.
A front hub motor does work well in the rain but slick or loose surface you just need to be a bit more sure of your riding style/ability.
You need to set out your needs and what you are willing to compromise on.

Price, we know up to 1300.
Gears, we know ( hub gears tend to be rare on circa 1k bikes).
Bike style mtb, 700c road type or step thru

Bikes recommended often just for there ruggedness and good feed back on here are;
Wipser 705 & Oxygen ST both available from Halfords both with derailleur's.

Forget the Crossfire but the Vulcan should be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you don't already know it, if you join British Cycling cost about £25 membership entitles you to 10% off bikes at Halfords.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You could convert a decent second hand hub gear bike for 1300

Example , on one Pompetamine or genesis day one for around 400 with alfine 8 hub plus a professional conversion to bbs mid drive for 800 including battery and paying someone else to. do it