Help needed choosing tyre size

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
I've had yet another puncture. Recently I got a new continental eco contact tyre and within a couple of weeks with extra effort trying to avoid glass on the road it still got sliced and diced and then punctured by gravel. I was half way home (6 miles to go), at the top of blue bell hill in the cold wind and rain, at night, with no chance of fixing the puncture. It cost me 20 quid for a taxi.

I'm now going to get some inner tubes with slime and schwalbe marathon plus smart guard city tyres.

I'm having trouble trying to get my head around the sizes. I have a kalkhoff bionx b27. The tyres it came with say 700 42 and 28 x 1.6. One inner tube says 32/47-609/642.

Can someone point me to the correct sizes for inner tubes with slime and the marathon plus tyres?

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
I should add that I am confused because on wiggle the sizes do not quite correspond to what is on my current tyres. eg there is 700x35C and 700x47C but not 700x42.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The tyre size you want for the MP is 700 x 38, third from the bottom on the chart here:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres

Get the inner tube slightly undersize since the MP tyres have a thick inner layer that restricts tube space. This one is the sort of thing, 700 x 28/37, in other words it fits from 28 mm to 37 mm, ideal for that tyre above with it's restricted space. The one I'm showing isn't a slime one but I've never needed slime with MP tyres, only one puncture in nearly five years with three bikes, and that was so slow I cycled home with it after a quick pump up:

Inner tube

This one is Schrader valve.

P.S. the tyre Winstanly have is the knobbly tread version, not so free rolling on the road as the normal one I've linked to, but otherwise also suitable.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I actually prefer Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour to the standard M+. It is more of a multi surface tyre than the slicker M+ with better off road capability but the same level of puncture resistance.
142-560-746-0-0-560-746.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: