Help needed to find new bike £500 or less

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
As the title says, if there is such a thing. A friend of mine wants to commute to work, but on this strict budget.

I'll be looking myself, but I'd be grateful if the pedelec community could post any finds.

Only criteria, legal, whole bike (not kit) and wheels 20" and above :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
How far does she commute?
How much does it cost her now per week?

Second hand but then the battery will be uncertain.

XF08 CST Rear Hub Kit WITH 13AH Battery from woosh on a really cheap or free bike of reasonable quality.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Distance is only 3 miles, and he can charge battery at work.

I was thinking back a few years ago, when I purchased a Cyclamatic Power Plus for under 400 quid. Doesn't look like SportsHq do the mountain bike one any more :(

Beach Thorncombe

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2016
United Kingdom
I regularly buy 'spare or repair' Powabyke Euros to do up and never pay more than £99 for a working machine. I often have to mend a fuse or replace a controller, (Sourced from China), but I would expect to be able to purchase at least 4 or 5 on a £500 budget! :)

Three mile trip? Charging at work? Get a Powabyke Euro off ebay for £99 ... or one in pristine condition for about £250!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I regularly buy 'spare or repair' Powabyke Euros to do up and never pay more than £99 for a working machine. I often have to mend a fuse or replace a controller, (Sourced from China), but I would expect to be able to purchase at least 4 or 5 on a £500 budget! :)

Three mile trip? Charging at work? Get a Powabyke Euro off ebay for £99 ... or one in pristine condition for about £250!
Good idea, but he's pretty clueless when it comes to anything electrical or mechanical.

Live_Steam_Mad

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2016
NW England
How about a Decathlon Elops 500 / Bebike 500 at 530 GBP ?

www.decathlon.co.uk/bebike-500-electric-bike-250w-24v-id_8300084.html

...I bought one a few days before Christmas after trying it out in their store at Huyton. It climbs the fairly steep hill that I live 1/2 way up on pretty easily with a modest pedalling assistance, even when the battery was on 2 bars out of 5 (as bought). It's cadence sensored (senses the speed at which you pedal). You can pedal very slowly and it still assists you to full power. I found it very satisfactory on quite a few short test rides along the top of our hill. I'll be able to see how good it is when I start to use it more.

Yeah so it's 24V, 8Ah, but the battery is less expensive to replace compared to some others, and for me the price was right. Range is 40km claimed (on Eco setting). Even on Eco I found the assistance to be powerful. It seems at first ride to be at least as good as my Brother's Giant LaFree Twist Comfort ST that we have had for 10 years now.

Regards,

Alistair G.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You might want to upgrade the brakes (at least the front one) on your Elops. Not expensive and easy to do - Avid Digit 5 for about 15€. The tyres aren't as bad as they were but never leave home without a repair kit and think about upgrading the inner tubes for Schwalbes.

• Informative

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
I have seen some lovely bikes posted by several people and i admire that you are trying to get your friend sorted out with a good bike for a reasonable price but during the winter months if that person is still commuting when the ice and frost around it is going to be a death trap because the tyres wont grip the road at all and you wouldn't be unable to put "Schwable Marathon plus winter tyres on because the wheel is so small

Falling off on black ice is a horrible feeling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I have seen some lovely bikes posted by several people and i admire that you are trying to get your friend sorted out with a good bike for a reasonable price but during the winter months if that person is still commuting when the ice and frost around it is going to be a death trap because the tyres wont grip the road at all and you wouldn't be unable to put "Schwable Marathon plus winter tyres on because the wheel is so small

Falling off on black ice is a horrible feeling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
His usual mode of transport is a scooter anyway, so when it's really bad, he uses another form of transport to get to work.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
He went to the local Halfords to see if they had any bikes, but there were none on display. He was told he would have to order one and get it delivered to the store.

Do any of the Halfords stores hold any electric bikes for a test ride?

Live_Steam_Mad

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2016
NW England
Halfords St.Helens told me that none of the Halfords shops in the UK actually stocks electric bikes, but that they could order any of them into stock if requested (presumably all the ones except the "web exclusive" ones).

I have noticed that about 1 month ago, Halfords only sold e-bikes costing 899 GBP or more. However, about 3 weeks ago they introduced the Pendleton Somerby for 750 GBP as a new product, and about 1 week ago they introduced the Coyote Classique at 600 GBP.

This was very encouraging, but still they could not provide a bike that I personally was happy with. I didn't want one in white or salmon pink, and I didn't see why I should pay an extra almost 200 GBP on top of the cost of the Decathlon one, when the gains were minimal and the replacement battery cost would be higher (50 per cent more cells, 36V). Decathlon wanted 240 GBP for a replacement 24V 8Ah battery. I shudder to think what Halfords would charge for a replacement 36V 10Ah battery, for example. Cost of the replacement battery was one of my strongest concerns.

Also there is a 2 year warranty on the Decathlon bike's electrical components and battery, but only 1 year warranty on the cheaper of the 2 Halfords bikes' electrical components (i.e. on the Coyote Classique).

In addition there were no reviews on the 2 new bikes from Halfords, which didn't overly encourage me, and the Coyote was 36V instead of 24V, but at a mere 6.6Ah, and th Coyote bike is as heavy approx. as my Elops 500,, and mine has 8Ah capacity of allegedly Samsung branded cells (though I can find no reference to Samsung anywhere on the battery, charger, or packaging, the charger says "Shenzhen Modiary Co., Ltd", the battery pack itself says on it ;- "Manufacturer : Simplo", battery has code number of "8298480", and the battery and charger box say "Trend Power Technology (changshu) INC" and code number "61550"). My battery is 1.9Kg, and Li-Ion, which at least is an improvement on the 4Kg weight of my Brother's Giant e-bike which was Ni-MH.

Actually thats's one thing I cannot understand - if each of my cells in the battery pack is even as low as let's say 2Ah, and there are as many as 4 of them in parallel to get to 8Ah, and they use 7 groups of 4 to get their 24V 8Ah battery pack, so 28 cells, at say 40g each, that is still only 1120 grams at the worst, so how it gets to 1.9Kg I don't know? Unless the additional weight of the plastic battery pack casing and the presumably BMS inside and / or Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) make up the rest of the 1.9Kg weight?

Come to think of it, where is the ESC in this type of bike, generally?

BTW I had to ask Decathlon to order the Elops / Bebike 500 in from their warehouse, as Huyton shop hadn't got one in stock for me to try (although it was available in stock at some other "local" Decathlon branches). There is a long aisle (spelling?) with short pile carpet in the Decathlon shop where I got to try out the bike, by riding up and down it carefully. They would not let me take it outside to try it before I bought it LOL.

Regards,

Alistair G.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
...and mine has 8Ah capacity of allegedly Samsung branded cells (though I can find no reference to Samsung anywhere on the battery, charger, or packaging, the charger says "Shenzhen Modiary Co., Ltd", the battery pack itself says on it ;- "Manufacturer : Simplo", battery has code number of "8298480", and the battery and charger box say "Trend Power Technology (changshu) INC" and code number "61550"). My battery is 1.9Kg, and Li-Ion, which at least is an improvement on the 4Kg weight of my Brother's Giant e-bike which was Ni-MH.

Actually thats's one thing I cannot understand - if each of my cells in the battery pack is even as low as let's say 2Ah, and there are as many as 4 of them in parallel to get to 8Ah, and they use 7 groups of 4 to get their 24V 8Ah battery pack, so 28 cells, at say 40g each, that is still only 1120 grams at the worst, so how it gets to 1.9Kg I don't know? Unless the additional weight of the plastic battery pack casing and the presumably BMS inside and / or Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) make up the rest of the 1.9Kg weight?

Come to think of it, where is the ESC in this type of bike, generally?
You have to open the battery to see the cells. If you do wear it out you can have it recelled with higher capacity cells so it could be a 12.8 Ah battery.

Your weight estimation is correct.

The controller is in the end of the battery holder.

D

Deleted member 4366

The ceĺls are 50g each, which makes 1.4 kg, then there's the connector strips, wiring, BMS, connectors and case for the remaining .5 kg.

BTW, we don't call it ESC. That's used for the r/c type speed controller. We just call them controllers or you'll sometimes see them listed as BLDC controllers.

Halfords made a deal with E-bikesdirect. They're like a click-and-collect service, which is probably what they mean as internet only because they don't stock those bikes.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
He went to the local Halfords to see if they had any bikes, but there were none on display. He was told he would have to order one and get it delivered to the store.

Do any of the Halfords stores hold any electric bikes for a test ride?
Some in stock in Darlington Halfrauds

Live_Steam_Mad

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2016
NW England
Interestingly (for budget E-Bike purchasers like myself), I just found out that Decathlon are introducing a new range of e-bikes for 2017, including a new model of Elops 500, called the Elops 500E ;-

http://ebiketips.co.uk/content/news/first-ride-2017-e-bikes-from-btwin-545

Price of the new Elops 500e is 599 GBP, pricier than the one I just bought, the Elops 500 at 530 GBP.

I was also happy to find out that "B'Twin also commit to keep batteries for their e-bikes in stock for at least seven years from the release date, so if your battery eventually dies you'll still be able to pick up a new one."

...and that the new Elops 500E seems to use what looks to be the exact same 24V 8Ah battery that the old Elops 500 does, which means I will be able to buy a replacement battery for at least the next 7 years (and then maybe a re-cell after that from a 3rd party).

Regards,

Alistair G.

• Informative