Help on a conversion!

keoghcf2002

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2022
Hi I purchased a kit from china for my bike, chatted with seller he was very helpful, it arrived however and hub was a tight fit with not really enough room on axle for nuts, i also bought a arm to support the hub, but its not really sitting flush either, any hints or advice are very welcome

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can't ride with the RHS nut like that, it is barely engaging the threads.
The low gear spacing to the hub looks to great, can a spacer be removed or a thinner one used to gain 2 -3 mm the chain only needs a couple mm spacing against the hub so as not to foul it.
The cassette locknut again needs to be a thinner one, fit the tab washer on the outside and use a thinner plain washer on the inside. The chain only needs 1mm clearance to the drop out again so it can't foul it.

Last edited:

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
In that situation, I often drop to a six speed freewheel, which will gaim 4-5mm, and agree with Neath in that you dom't need all the celarance provided by the torque washer and whatever is on the axle by the freewheel.

And if that is a cassette, well then you do what you gotta do, I have little experience with them.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have never used a 6 or 7spd cassette so don't know how the stack height differs from a 9spd cassette, using 9spd I have never had an issue with nuts fitting correctly so my logic says it is simply about using different thickness spacers to get the fit correct.