help please

nigel gigg

Just Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Hi all. Hopeing you may be able to help me. I have a Powertrek folding bike and need to purchase a new battery Or one of the cells. I seem to have run into a brick wall so any help would be very useful. Thanks all. Nigel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These don't seem to be available any more, so it probably means either fitting a new cell pack into the case if available, or mounting a different battery into the frame or on the carrier.

I found a couple of photos online that may help others to suggest a solution:

The bike

The rear of seat tube battery

If you can give us the three dimensions of the battery case less handle it could help. Also we need to know the battery voltage.

nigel gigg

Just Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. A few more questions. 1 how do I fing out the voltage as I have no paperwork.
2. can you fit any similar battery if I bought one from e bay.
3. Are the control plugs all wired the same.
4. Any idea where I might just buy the duff cell. Sorry for all the questions but as you can proberbly gather I am totally clueless about all this stuff. Lol. Thanks nigel

nigel gigg

Just Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. A few more questions. 1 how do I fing out the voltage as I have no paperwork.
2. can you fit any similar battery if I bought one from e bay.
3. Are the control plugs all wired the same.
4. Any idea where I might just buy the duff cell. Sorry for all the questions but as you can proberbly gather I am totally clueless about all this stuff. Lol. Thanks nigel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it's not marked anywhere Nigel, you'll need a multimeter to measure the voltage on the battery terminals. A cheap one like this will be good enough and always useful. This beginners tutorial will tell you how. It's very likely to be a nominal 24 volt system, but that isn't certain.

The connectors on different batteries are not wired to any standard pattern, and that's where the meter can come into play again to sort that out. Once you let us know the battery dimensions and voltage in due course we may be able to advise a battery that can be adapted to it.

If you've no experience at all with electrics, replacing the cell pack might be a step too far. Do you know anyone with some experience with anything electrical at all who could help?

D

Deleted member 4366

Assuming thst the battery is suffering from severe neglect, you most likely won't get any sensible readings from its terminals. It's still worth checking. You never know.

The controller should have the voltage written on it. Alternatively, you can open the case and count the cells. While you're there, you can measure the cell voltages, which will tell you if there's any hope. If you're unsure, take some photos and post them here.