Help! Help wanted with Shimano Steps BT-E 6010 Battery

Bongo Pete 495

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2020
I am trying to get my Shimano Steps BT E 6010 battery tested, over a week ago I switched the cycle computer on and my battery needed a charge the computer did not display any error message , just normal display etc . On removing the battery and charging up I noticed the battery level indicator remained blinking on the last segment of the display, the battery at this stage was charged to approx 80%-90%. I took the battery off charge, when switching the battery on from the battery button the battery level indicator indicated 80%-90% charge. I reinserted the battery bike back in the bike but on switching on the computer there was absolutely no response. I double checked battery insertion etc. When I switched the battery on from the battery button the battery level indicator there was nothing displayed at all, but indicated 80%-90% charge when taken off bike. At present I'm trying to ascertain if it's a battery problem or bike electronics I have tried a couple of local Shimano e bike dealers locally but they do not have any Shimano Steps BT-E 6010 Battery compatible bikes. I could take the bike back to to point of sale but it's awkard as the cycle is in low gear and the dealers are some distance away. By testing the battery I will know if I have to return the whole bike or just the battery. I was wondering if there was a e bike owner with a compatible system( see attachment)that I could try my battery in fore the purpose of elimination, I live in Heml Hempstead convenient for London and willing to travel reasonable distance. I'm hoping someone can help. Many Thanks

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not being familiar with these batteries I expect It will need a dealer to diagnose/test it , pretty sure like other mid drives some type of hand shaking occurs.

Does the charger led flash ?
If so the manual just states that a charging error has occurred.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bikes display has it's own battery, is it charged ?

Bongo Pete 495

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Thanks Nealh for suggestion, I connected battery to charger off the bike for a charger test which was ok, battery initially indicated charging LED however within a couple of minutes then the first and last LEDs were blinking with the other LEDs off. The Shimano manual states it's an electrical failure within the battery. So now I know what the fault is . Thanks Again

13Stitches

Just Joined
Apr 20, 2023
Hi Bongo Pete, 2 years ago you had a problem with the BT-E6010 indicating it had a charge, Would switch on when not in the bike, But when fitted to the bike nothing would switch on. Same as when trying to charge the battery when off the bike, the first and last LED blinked indicating an issue with the battery. Was this the case? Was it the battery? Replaced or repaired? and away it went?