Help with brakes

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
Hi,
I found this forum as I was looking to purchase my first bike last month due to having been diagnosed with arthritis whilst having to cycle even more than I used to for commuting.
It's all new to me but we are getting along. Mostly my knees like it.

I'm the 3rd owner of a Freego hawk.
It has a few issues (and in my haste to get this commuting business sorted I now think I paid a bit too much even though it works - they are solid bikes which I do like).
The main problems being, more than 4 rear wheel spokes need replacing
and the brakes are rubbish.
I'm doing quite a bit of distance everyday, up and down small hills with traffic
and consequently that's what I would like help with.

Front wheel disc brake > what brand are the original pads?
They do absolutely nothing. Today I'm about to clean them and try to readjust them but I've little hope
by the way they look, no pin to hold them and so dirty and oily - although they don't seem to be used much (still of a good thickness).
Ultimately will have them replaced.

Rear wheel v brakes > what would be a good quality brand?
or what is the solution to the pads wearing out so quickly? I already replaced 2 pads in a month.

These are the points I would really much appreciate help or feedback to point me in the right direction (I could not find a relevant thread although did read on the topic in this forum) as I don't feel safe riding the bike a the moment but i need it for work.

I'm not a bike mechanic but let's say i'm a skilful hand with a reflective mindset (+ a small size wallet and some tools) so I will be doing most of what is possible to do without special tools by myself.

Many thanks in advance.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi,
I found this forum as I was looking to purchase my first bike last month due to having been diagnosed with arthritis whilst having to cycle even more than I used to for commuting.
It's all new to me but we are getting along. Mostly my knees like it.

I'm the 3rd owner of a Freego hawk.
It has a few issues (and in my haste to get this commuting business sorted I now think I paid a bit too much even though it works - they are solid bikes which I do like).
The main problems being, more than 4 rear wheel spokes need replacing
and the brakes are rubbish.
I'm doing quite a bit of distance everyday, up and down small hills with traffic
and consequently that's what I would like help with.

Front wheel disc brake > what brand are the original pads?
They do absolutely nothing. Today I'm about to clean them and try to readjust them but I've little hope
by the way they look, no pin to hold them and so dirty and oily - although they don't seem to be used much (still of a good thickness).
Ultimately will have them replaced.

Rear wheel v brakes > what would be a good quality brand?
or what is the solution to the pads wearing out so quickly? I already replaced 2 pads in a month.

These are the points I would really much appreciate help or feedback to point me in the right direction (I could not find a relevant thread although did read on the topic in this forum) as I don't feel safe riding the bike a the moment but i need it for work.

I'm not a bike mechanic but let's say i'm a skilful hand with a reflective mindset (+ a small size wallet and some tools) so I will be doing most of what is possible to do without special tools by myself.

Many thanks in advance.
There are two shapes of disc pad, one is square, the other round. The square ones are Tektro, the round ones are probably Promax. If there is oil present on the pads and rotor, the pads will need to be replaced and the rotor cleaned with disc brake cleaner or replaced immediately. They simply will not work properly anymore.

Which leads to why your rear pads are wearing so quickly. When you brake you should lead with the front brake and follow with the rear brake as needed. You will get much more life out of them. A set of front pads should last years but require occasional adjustment as do your rear breaks as surfaces wear. Hope this helps :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can't help with make or brand you may need to up load a pic of the brake lever and callipers, do they have no name on them at all.
Front pads if contaminated will be why they don't bite hence the rear's wearing out quick. Front brake does approx. 80% of the braking so you need to get them sorted.
You can try first by putting washing up liquid on the pads surface then rub the pair together and rinsing this may temporary get rid of surface contamination, the disc needs degreasing Isoproponol/Alcohol (try a chemist or cheap on ebay) is cheap and good for this.
Once you get the front working properly try using it % wise more then the rear and you will find braking stopping a lot better or better put use them both but apply more front pressure then rear.

Reactions: Emo Rider

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
that helps! Thanks! + im learning new things.
Rotor has tektro written on it but pads are round, promax i think but can't remember now. will check again when daylight.
not sure if so good but i used diluted suer soap to clean...?
> they have come back with a bit of life at least but not much.
Yes i recall instructor at a basic bicycle build workshop saying to always use both breaks but didn't know front brake does most of the job.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
that helps! Thanks! + im learning new things.
Rotor has tektro written on it but pads are round, promax i think but can't remember now. will check again when daylight.
not sure if so good but i used diluted suer soap to clean...?
> they have come back with a bit of life at least but not much.
Yes i recall instructor at a basic bicycle build workshop saying to always use both breaks but didn't know front brake does most of the job.
If you have some coarse sandpaper try removing some the the pad's surface as oil will penatrate into the braking material. After this your braking should be better but you may experience some squealing or noise from the from brake and reduced effectiveness. It has been my experience, as an ebike technician, that replacement is always better and not that expensive.

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
yes was gonna do it today but was told in shop they need to see the pads and suddenly man received an urgent phone call... so did some research instead, will do asap, i dont enjoy cycling without brake at all (!).
New it is!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No use cleaning pad surface if you don't clean the disc rotor as well, as all will happen is you will transfer contaminate back on the pad.

• Agree

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
yes cleaned it all where it needed.
it does make a difference already, i can say i ve got front brakes now.
Can't wait for the new pads lads.
(sorry can't help the crap rhymes at times... No offence if they were responses from lassies!)

D

Deleted member 4366

Forget about that crappy front brake. Change it to a branded hydraulic one, like Tektro, Shimano, Juicy, etc, etc. You get the whole thing complete with the lever hose and caliper, so three scres to take your crappy one off and three screws to put the new one on. It's a 5 minute job. no adjustments are necessary. Just make sure that the hose is approximately the same length as your present brake cable. they cost between about £20 and £40, depending on which one you get. You won't believe the difference it will make.

It's the front brake that does nearly all the stopping, so your crappy back brake won't be a problem anymore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Deore-hydraulic-M596-Disc-Brake-/332383078268?hash=item4d6393477c:g:oOsAAOSwrNlZvuUT

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
Update on this.
I lost all the auctions so i went to the shop but they didn't have the right pads for my brakes... but I found out that the side screws on the calliper were stuck. I managed to unstuck them and my front brake now works well (!).
However the next day the pedal assist system stopped working...

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Update on this.
I lost all the auctions so i went to the shop but they didn't have the right pads for my brakes... but I found out that the side screws on the calliper were stuck. I managed to unstuck them and my front brake now works well (!).
However the next day the pedal assist system stopped working...
Check the gap between the magnet disk and the pick up. Should be less than 5mm. As well, make sure the disk is turning with the crank. The plastic teeth that grip the axle sometimes break.

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
Check the gap between the magnet disk and the pick up. Should be less than 5mm. As well, make sure the disk is turning with the crank. The plastic teeth that grip the axle sometimes break.
I had a good look and a good clean >> the disk is NOT turning with the crank. Anyone knows if that means it needs replacing or the teeth needs replacing? and that i must buy a crank puller too?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You may be able to fit a two part one, which side is it on? Otherwise, a temporary solution may be to gaffa tape it to the crank, should get you going.

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
You may be able to fit a two part one, which side is it on? Otherwise, a temporary solution may be to gaffa tape it to the crank, should get you going.
its behind the chain ring. Gaffatape won't work as it is almost not moving. Seems stuck in one position unless i apply force to turn it around. at times it gets free and goes a little together with the pedal then stuck again.

[edit] it got looser now. It could be that teeth are worn out as it s only catching with the crank in some place and for a short distance before. I'm going to try a cable tie fix for now.

[cable tie not possible.]

Last edited:

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I had a good look and a good clean >> the disk is NOT turning with the crank. Anyone knows if that means it needs replacing or the teeth needs replacing? and that i must buy a crank puller too?
The ideal fix is to replace the disk and yes, you will need to remove the chainwheel crank arm. You can, once the crank arm is pulled, wrap enough black electrical tape around the axle and work the disk over it so it turns with the axle again.

lulup

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2017
london
Thanks, that sounds good. im just back with the tool... will try tomro... Been looking where to get a free go part for replacing the disc but couldn't find. I suppose it doesn't need a branded one but it's hard to find any specs to get the correct one!