Help with getting an electric bike

pajcaul

Just Joined
May 11, 2014
Hi
we need to get an electric bike pretty quickly for our daughter who has Chronic fatigue (also known as post viral fatigue or M.E). She is at university and finding the travelling on her ordinary bike around the town exhausting. We thought that an electric bike, a step through one and where she didn't have to pedal at all, when she wasn't feeling great would be a help. She doesn't want a folding bike. She has only usually to travel up one hill on her journeys. She is only 5 feet 2 inches tall so we know some bikes wouldn't be suitable. The trouble is we only have a maximum of £600 to spend. We are not sure whether to go for a well known 2nd hand bike or for a new less well known bike which may be a waste of money. We have looked at amazon and ebay as well as some online bike shops but are still unsure. we have seen new bikes The 'La Fleur' brand - All Seasons Scooters, EUROPA and Evogue - Bicycles4u and pro-rider e tourer bikes on ebay which we have never heard of before. We have also seen new Cyclamatic GTE and powercycle windsor on amazon and other sites within our price range but would we be better getting a better known 2nd hand bike. We would appreciate any advice.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
There should be something here, ie. the Aspen step through is 599. http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/
Check out some that advertise here at least there will be a warranty and support.
Regarding the requirement for a throttle, in actual use a pedalec will need no power put into the pedals after the first rotation or so, just turn the pedals slowly with zero load. This is assuming that it is a normal PAS syustem and not a torque based one (rare on lower cost bikes anyway)

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Oh, one other thing because of your daughters height I would try to get a test ride or if mail ordered a good return policy if it does not fit.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I think this is the one I'd buy, with a change of seat post and saddle should be small enough. Over budget, but should be very low maintenance.

http://www.wooshbikes.co.uk/?sundowner
That would probably be way too big. The girl is 5'2" and that bike is a 52cm frame. The page says it's a big bike suitable if you're over 5'10". You won't lower that enough by changing the seat post.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Is the bike she rides now OK?, if so check the frame size to give an idea of what you need.
My wife is 5'2" and we had a real problem a few years back getting a 26" wheel bike small enough for her as she also hasn't got long legs.
Could you fit a kit or get one fitted?
That should just come under your budget and when she feels able to cycle under leg power again you could take the kit off and sell it.
Bear in mind the kit will add a lot of weight to the existing bike which could be a problem if she has to push or manhandle the bike at any time.
Dave.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this £625 Woosh Santana would do the job.
several members have got it.

or this £559 foldable Woosh Gale (same motor, same battery):

You may need to replace the sprung seat post with a low profile one.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
But if it breaks down or has a puncture most ebike / pedelecs would just be too heavy for her to pedal unaided or try to fix... Bear that in mind?

pajcaul

Just Joined
May 11, 2014
Hi
Thanks to all of you for your advice. We will start looking at these bikes. I know what you mean with a puncture but she would just have to get a taxi that would let her put the bike in.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
But if it breaks down or has a puncture most ebike / pedelecs would just be too heavy for her to pedal unaided or try to fix... Bear that in mind?
The Woosh Santana and Gale have kevlar tyres and quick release.
all commuting bikes need puncture resistant tyres.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
If possible fit Marathon Plus tyres, these roll well and offer excellent puncture protection.

Second hand - some electric bike shops have battery testers where you discharge the battery to give a % reading based on original capacity (you then charge straight back up) so it would be worth checking if there is somewhere local who has a shop and some pre-owned bikes where you could be more assured it was in good condition. If you buy privately budget for a spare battery.

You can also get roadside recovery for bikes (including e bikes) not sure how good it is as I heard what the experience is like when you have a problem.

Good luck