Help with Older Electric Bike please

vix2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2017
uk
Hi please bear with me as I know absolutely nothing about ebikes. I have recently had a couple of TIA's and been told I am borderline diabetic, and, at 60 yrs old, told to do some gentle exercise for my health. My dad reminded me that there is an old electric bike in his garage that my mum bought years ago for the same reason when she started with her heart problems, (she passed away 2 years ago).

Both myself and Dad have searched this weekend for the battery keys but they are nowhere to be found. I have searched the internet and all I can find is "use a big hammer"!!! I am very reluctant to do this in case I damage the battery. The battery itself is inside a metal frame so I cannot see any way to get to it. To be honest we aren't even sure it will work anyway, but we are unable to try without the keys.

Can anyone give me any idea how we can test it? Is it possible somehow to bypass the lock, or remove the barrel or something? I would be very grateful for any advice.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could drill the barrel out of the lock but make sure you can find another to replace it after esp if it holds the batt on the bike.

• Useful
Reactions: vix2000
D

Deleted member 4366

It might help us if you told us which bike it is or show us a picture of it.

vix2000

Jul 9, 2017
uk
Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry I don't have a picture but can take one tomorrow. It is an ezee sprint. The battery is in a sort of cage behind the seat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The ignition switch/battery lock is attached to the frame on those. I think, you can only get to the screws when the battery's out and the battery won't come out until the lock is retracted. I'll have a look tomorrow how it's fixed and let you know. If you want to test the bike, just pull the rubber cap off the ignition switch, which is on the other side of the frame opposite where the key goes in. There you will see two wires soldered to two points. All you need to do is bridge those wires. You can unsolder them and solder them together or cut them off and join them.

vix2000

Jul 9, 2017
uk
Thank you very much, will look forward to your results and will try to get someone to test it for me.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Vix 2000,
I have replacement key lock / switches for eZee bikes and with the battery locked in place you would have drill out the old lock.

This is so the locking bolt that goes into the back of the battery can be disengaged.

Before contemplating this though you need to be aware that if the battery has not been regularly charged it will be dead, so it just depends how much money you want to throw at the bike to get it running again.

If you are anywhere near Milton Keynes I could loan you a battery so that you can establish if the bike works, but i don't have any batteries for sale.

All eZee bikes came with 3 keys and it is amazing how many people managed to lose all of them.

By the way, I very rarely look at forum so an email to cyclezee@gmail.com is the best way to contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:

vix2000

Jul 9, 2017
uk
Thanks. Its not been charged for at least 18 months. Does that mean the battery is no good?

D

Deleted member 4366

You should be able to tell us. Put it on charge, then try it.

vix2000

Jul 9, 2017
uk
I have managed to sort the key lock. When I turn the bike on nothing happens. I tried to charge the batteries and it is the same. I also have a scooter power pack the same voltage and connected this to the terminals the battery connects to. This again is exactly the same. I noticed the controller light flashing 5 times and looked on the internet and this said throttle fault. I looked at the throttle connection and internal wires and one was broke(red wire) so I fixed this and still the bike is dead. The display on the handle bar just shows a red light when the toggle switch is on or off???? Just stays the same.
Any ideas please

C

Cyclezee

OK, so number one, the battery is dead as expected.
Is the scooter battery 36v and did you have the polarity correct i.e. positive terminal towards the front of the bike and negative towards the rear?
Now you have repaired the throttle the LED on the side of the controller should be constant red, if it flashes there is another error.
The toggle switch on the side of what must be the old type battery gauge simply changes from pedelec to throttle mode, with a healthy battery you should have a green light on the gauge.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, if it's the old style Ezee control system, they only work with the throttle ( no pedal assist mode), but with that switch in one position, the throttle only works when you pedal. in the other position, it allows power on demand from the throttle.