Hemiway Cruiser

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It needs as simple volt meter rigged up Eddie, then you can use the voltage as a much better indication. It ha always been said on here leds or battery bar meters are pretty much useless.

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It needs as simple volt meter rigged up Eddie, then you can use the voltage as a much better indication. It ha always been said on here leds or battery bar meters are pretty much useless.
Thanks Nealh. Any advice on which one to purchase?

The display is a Key- Disp KD51C-U, and assuming that it is just a generic display for many brands of bikes, it is puzzling where the default settings have come from.
In respect of the battery power bar settings, the default for level one is 31.5v and no default is given for the remaining four bars. The battery is 48v so am I to assume that the settings should read an additional 4.1v per bar? I am curious to know how the default voltage of 31.5v was arrived at.
I also noticed that the controller over-current cut settings can be changed with the default being 15A. This is something else that I would be interested in researching further.

This is taken from the manual.

20230325_201032.jpg

20230325_212519.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a 36v bosch batt is fully charged at 42v and why those 5 bars done my nut in and got a kiox display then down the dealers for a can shake as said every time i turned it on it wanted one or else :rolleyes:

max power will be at 25a tho this will reduce range

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With 31.5v the manual is referring to a 36v battery, 41v is the lowest one will want a 48v battery to go but typically 42 - 43v is a better lowest value.

They haven't re written the values for 48v usage.

The 15a will give a theorectical 720w but once one takes into account motor efficacy losses will be nearer 570w , 20a will give a theoretical 960w but with efficacy losses about 760w.

For voltage readout if I need one I have used a cheap round £2 panel mount type led coloured display, simply two wires wired via the battery/controller connections

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Not a bad way to spend a Bank Holiday weekend, although when I got home. I did discover that I had returned with two unwanted extra passengers. I hate ticks, and like them even less when they are on me!

As for the bike, it is going well, but it's hill climbing isn't really that great, and the range isn't either, given the battery size, manufacturers claims, and YouTube claims by people who have been given bikes to review.

From my own use using the lower assist levels, I am getting about 25-30 miles with roughly 2,400ft of elevation gain.

20230429_184134.jpg20230429_194529.jpg20230430_072726.jpg20230430_074031.jpg

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...but it's hill climbing isn't really that great,
From your manual snippet above, could you increase the CUR current value up from 15A to 20A to improve that (although I guess that would reduce the range further)?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
From your manual snippet above, could you increase the CUR current value up from 15A to 20A to improve that (although I guess that would reduce the range further)?
Funny that you should mention that. After having to take a much longer way to get home yesterday, so avoiding the 14% gradient that the lower end of my road has, it did occur to me that I should really look at the settings. I should of checked that when I had the voltage issue. I shall let you know how it goes.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Finally found the time to look at the settings, and the CUR value had been set to 15A, which I have now changed to 20A. It will certainly be interesting to see what difference that it makes. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Finally found the time to look at the settings, and the CUR value had been set to 15A, which I have now changed to 20A. It will certainly be interesting to see what difference that it makes. :)
the bosch controllers and batts are 20A just make sure the batt can cope with the amps if you turn it up more but you will get to a point where the motor just gets hot no matter how many amps you send to it because of its size and windings and nuke the range.

more power less range :confused:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can't agree more Eddie, Spring is a wonderful season and the best season imv. Bluebell woods and the aroma are quite magnificent, as is Cow parsley. Here along the shared cycle way in to town the margins on both sides are covered in both and the sweet aroma is amazing esp when it is warm and humid.

Reactions: Woosh and guerney