Here we go again

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
With temperatures at -6 C outside in North Norfolk this morning and a light covering of snow again overnight I can`t see my old faithful E bike being pulled out of the shed for a while. We are supposed to drive 100 miles down to north Essex on Sunday for a pre Christmas gathering with my son but unlike a few years ago where I would brave any conditions on a journey I think I`ve finally seen the light and will not venture out unless the roads are clear and free from ice.

fishzx7r

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Colchester, UK
Best thing Oldtimer, I live in colchester as yet we have not had any white stuff this time, but they reckon its gonna! come,
Stay home warm dry and safe,thats your best bet,

by the way Merry chistmas and happy newyear to you and yours

Rob

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Best thing Oldtimer, I live in colchester as yet we have not had any white stuff this time, but they reckon its gonna! come,
Stay home warm dry and safe,thats your best bet,

by the way Merry chistmas and happy newyear to you and yours

Rob
Thanks Rob and the same to you and your family. I was speaking to my son in Great Dunmow at tea time yesterday and they had a light covering.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'll second that, I was over in Lapland at the beginning of the month with temperatures up to -20C and I was stunned by how many people were riding round on bikes!

No security issues over there either, they pull up to a pub park up and the bike is still there when they come back. An awesome place to visit!

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Wish I had the bike earlier this year when I got stranded 5 miles from home and what passes for a bus service also stopped. The only way I got back was walking in the tyre tracks of previous vehicles, which took significantly longer than the usual 45 minute walk. In those days there wasn't a bag of salt, pair of Wellingtons, or a shovel anywhere. I did take my normal bicycle out and had no trouble in the snow.

Now this time, I've prepared well. I wish I could say I rode in temperatures below -5°C, but the weather forecasts are so far off the mark especially where temperature is concerned, so I ignore those. If you don't believe me use two well-placed thermometers in your back garden, and check those regularly. Only twice did the temperature go below 0 in my ends recently and the lowest it dropped today was to 1° sometime after 4.00am, before it gradually went over 2°!

It was -5°C, the weatherman/lady said it would, therefore it happened. Fact. :D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
went out for a stroll, 2" on the ground, came back and it started again and now 4" on ground:eek:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Snowed in Central

Hello folks from a very white Midlands! Was snow-free all yesterday but just woke up this morning to two inch blanket and it's still falling heavy..looks there could be a lot if it continues over the weekend as forecast with 25cm of snow predicted! I don't envy the poor postman and others who have to do deliveries in this weather! Speaking of deliveries, this is going to be a nightmare for anyone expecting gifts to be delivered between now and Christmas.. Anyone still shopping should either their orders in quick or get out to the shops instead! I'm waiting on a couple of things myself which have already been delayed.

My brother is due to fly out to sunny Spain on Monday from Birmingham International Airport (lucky him) but I expect his flight will be cancelled or rescheduled as big disruptions are expected by Monday as the UK's transport system grinds to a halt as usual. You would think we'd be better prepared for a bit of snow wouldn't you? Happens every time!

I have plenty of time on my hands now as I'm finishing work early so I'm busy planning my first electric bike build..I got the bike and kit sorted, but I didn't expect there would be so much other stuff to plan and consider! Battery and housing, wiring, waterproof connectors, controller housing..the list keeps growing! This forum has proved invaluable though for sourcing stuff, I've been referring to old posts a lot and looking at other peoples builds. It would be great if we could somehow consolidate all this info..perhaps we should start a new category dedicated to DIY e-bikes and have lists of the various suppliers for parts..just an idea.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I have a wireless weather station and when I got up this morning the temp was -11C and the low during the night was -16.4C :eek: Just checking around the house and vehicles and noticed the radiater header tank had slush in it:eek:

Now it`s getting silly!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Lots of snow today so I've been out to play in the Jeep. :cool:
The trains stopped straight away, if it carries on I may have to cycle back from my works xmas party. :(

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Woke up to find 6-8 inches of snow everywhere, so I just had to get the bike out and go for a spin. I could have amused myself all day by making the back wheel spin, and doing 180's on the spot! :D

Unfortunately the council tax money has not been put to good use. Only two nearby roads have been gritted, and the snow is so thick and compacted in places the motor alone isn't enough to get the bike moving. Cycle lanes are completely covered. I'm not going out again unless I absolutely have to, but at least now I know I can do it, even if the journey time doubles. I might have to make a 7 mile trip tomorrow, there's no other way apart from walking, as the buses stop running and there isn't a taxi to be found.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Haha. :D

I promised myself not to go out unless the temperature was over freezing. The temperature was 0 bang on the dot as I left home on the ebike. Didn't even get to the end of the street and the car in front got stuck. I passed it with ease, got to the first roundabout, pulled the rear brake and there was a bit of resistance, followed by an awful sound. The brake cable had snapped. The handles are fitted with cut-outs. I got off and thought about pushing the bike home, but it was too hard. Because my new gloves are so thick, I managed to keep the rear brake lever in position and continue with the journey. Some parts of the route were fine, took them at maximum speed. One part was so bad with the ice frozen solid in lumps that they knocked me off course loads of times, and had to keep my feet down on the road. Slid around loads because of that, but I am very proud to say I didn't put the bike down once. I did walk it for a few minutes in the worst parts. Nearly used the entire battery on a 7 mile trip!

If the next predicted snowfall arrives tomorrow, that will put me off the road completely. I can walk very fast, and will enjoy walking down empty pavements and roads!

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
-14c last night! :eek: I know its been colder in other parts of the country but still...that's cold!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
-14c last night! :eek: I know its been colder in other parts of the country but still...that's cold!
Where? (-3 in London)

I think I will get 4 used steel rims for the car and winter/snow tyres for next year......

what is the consensus on this? do people think this type of weather is here for every winter?:confused:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
....do people think this type of weather is here for every winter?......
Impossible to say!.

Climatology and Meteorology are two separate sciences, although very closely related. Even hardened sceptics accept that the climate is becoming warmer, but the meteorologists are still uncertain as to how that warming will effect the weather. We can add to this the unpredictability of the two most influencial components of the British weather, the flow-rate of the Atlantic Conveyor (Gulf Stream) and the wanderings of the high altitude Jet Stream.

From 'The Independent' ten years ago:

"According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

David Parker, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, says ultimately, British children could have only virtual experience of snow. Via the internet, they might wonder at polar scenes - or eventually "feel" virtual cold.

Clearly, they were wrong, and that's what happens when climatologists encroach upon the meteorologists territory. My own concerns are not about the severity of recent Winters, but the length, and this one is going to be depressingly long. There is an old saying which goes something like:

"If November ice can stand a duck, the rest of the Winter will be mud and muck" (There is no historical evidence to support this. :( )

Winter tyres.

These can give around ten times more grip on ice, snow or wet roads compared to normal tyres. Those who follow Grand Prix racing will know of the different rubber compounds used in the tyres. The reason we don't use Winter tyres is simple, we're lazy!. We would much rather wait for somebody to clear the snow away than do something about it ourselves.

So, what does the future hold?.

There was a brilliant program on the telly a few years ago. Scientists discovered clear evidence from Polar ice cores, that the transition from 'normal' weather to a mini ice-age can be as short as eight years. Is that the way we are going now?.

All the best
Bob

Last edited:

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Where? (-3 in London)

I think I will get 4 used steel rims for the car and winter/snow tyres for next year......

what is the consensus on this? do people think this type of weather is here for every winter?:confused:
I everybody gets equipped for snow and ice, then no - mild winters from now on.
However, if councils don't bother to grit roads when they have had a weeks notice, and no matter what type of snow or ice we have it will always be the "wrong" type for the railways then you can guarantee that we will get unexpected, quite exceptional, "worst since last year" conditions of cold and snow in the winter every year.

Colin

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Where? (-3 in London)

You'd benefit from winter tyres even without the snow, since the grip of them is superior on cold tarmac to summer tyres.
They don't grip as well as summer tyres once the temperature goes above 7degC, but for the majority of the winter season, I'd fit them. I've been looking seriously at getting a set of them for next year. Financial considerations preclude them for this winter, so I'll just have to slip and slide with the rest of them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
With severe weather widespread in Europe there's probably a shortage of winter tyres in the trade now anyway, so for most it's likely to be only an option for next year rather than this.