Hi All!

royH

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 11, 2014
Hello everyone, I just found the site via Google and so glad I did! I'm looking to buy my first electric bike to use for riding to work (approx 3 miles) and short trips to the shops etc. Having read quite a few reviews and with 1K to spend I am leaning towards the Raleigh Velo XC. Does anyone own or have experience of this model? Any info (good or bad!) would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Roy H

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Welcome Roy. If you have a look at the advertisers on here you should find a reasonable selection of sub £1k bikes. The most important thing is to try some bikes out before making a decision. How easy this is depends where you are. I think you'll probably find something better than the Raleigh Velo XC.

Reactions: royH

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I tried a Velo and was a bit disappointed - the power delivery was very clonky and the bike didn't feel as well-made as I thought it should.

There have been a few changes to the Velo for the latest model year, so a new one may ride better.

A good, possibly very good, thing about the Velo is it is sold via Raleigh dealers, so there is someone local, face-to-face to look after it for you and deal with any problems.

The likes of Woosh and Kudos offer more for your money, but there are very few dealers/places to buy them, so you would probably have to buy online.

Giant do a £1,000 ebike which you could get to see in a dealer.

Not the most exciting machine, but superior quality to the Raleigh I tried.

I've also seen quite a few older Giant ebikes soldiering on, which I reckon is a good indication they are reliable and sturdy.

Your proposed use is entirely realistic, any ebike could handle it, so if you like the Raleigh and the dealer seems sensible, it could still be a good bet.

Reactions: royH and JuicyBike

royH

May 11, 2014
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated! I feel I need to do a bit more research before parting with my cash. I'll have a good look around this and other sites. I admit one of the attractions of the Raleigh was the dealer network, my nearest being about 16 miles away in Chester. I'll let you know how I go on, watch this space!

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Just in case you were thinking of buying Raleigh in terms of supporting British manufacturing, don't be fooled - only the name remains...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
in terms of support for British jobs, buying Chinese bikes is perversely the most efficient way! design, support, service, additional assembly, inspection, packing, transport etc are done here and not from another EU country.

royH

May 11, 2014
Thanks Phil. Yes I am aware that sadly another great British institution now no longer exists as such. I believe the dealer network would be useful to me though.......

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
so is a friendly LBS. Electronics rarely ever fails nowadays but you need to fit puncture proof tyres as soon as if they don't come with already.
Routine maintenance for e-bikes is the same for non electrics. Tyres, brakes, lights, chain, gears etc. If you can take care of routine maintenance, you have far better support buying from one of the advertisers here - if they let you down, members will shoot them down immediately, so they won't.

royH

May 11, 2014
Many thanks, I'm finding all this advice really useful! Can anyone recommend an alternative to the Raleigh that I might find via this site (max budget £1K) as it seems to be a bit of a minefield out there. I've been a cyclist for 50 odd years but new to e.bikes!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
There are at least 20 models from advertisers on the forum for under £1000.
You can shorten the list using the pedelecs database:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/buy/find-an-electric-bike/

we can help you choose but we need to know a bit more about you and the area where you live:
- heavy?
- hilly?
- frame type you like?
- maximum range you are looking for?
- how fast you want to ride?

royH

May 11, 2014
Thanks! Living in Cheshire the terrain is fairly flat with the odd incline so hills are not a major problem. I'm looking for a crossbar type frame to fit my inside leg (31") My normal range would be not more than 20 miles (anything more would be a bonus) Speed is not a big issue, am I right in thinking e-bikes are resricted to 15 mph on electric assist?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes, e-bikes are restricted by law to 25kph, 15.5mph. The more powerful ones are fitted with LCD that has speed sensor to limit their speed. It's still nice to have the LCD though because strong motors give you better acceleration.
Searching the pedelecs database between £600-£1000, commuting & town, crossbar frame: 7 bikes found.
- from Woosh: Sport TS, Sirocco 2, Sirocco CDL, Big Bear,
- from cyclezee: Easy Sprint Primo 3 GTS
- from Roodog: Avatar
- from LEBC: Vita 1

One of the best is the £850 ezee Sprint GTS: strong motor, excellent quality build, choice of battery, Schwalbe tyres - even German factories don't build better than this:

Equally strong motor but with larger capacity battery is the £850 Woosh Big Bear:

Slightly less powerful motor but more cyclist orientated is the £799 crank drive Woosh Sirocco CDL (28" wheels):

basic specs but oozing with style is the £950 Avatar Roodog:

and also basic specs but superb value for money and equally stylish is the £695 LEBC Vita 1:

Last edited:

royH

May 11, 2014
Thanks trex - I'll check these out, I'm going to be busy!

royH

May 11, 2014
Been looking at the Woosh website and these look like excellent value for money. I particularly like the two 'sport' models - very stylish but as I need the bike mainly for commuting I'm not sure if there are mudguard lugs and whether a rear rack could be fitted without spoiling the overall look.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

royH

May 11, 2014
Thank you to all who have given advice. I'll let you know when a decision is made!

royH

May 11, 2014
Diversifying a little, does anyone know anything about the EBCO Eagle Lifestyle LSR-50? I've read the reviews and it seems a really nice bike but I'm a little worried about back up and I've never heard of EBCO?!!. Are they a reputable manufacturer? What if I buy one and need spares in a couple of years, are they still going to be around I wonder? Erring on the cautious, thats why I was leaning towards the Raleigh at the outset, rightly or wrongly........ :)

D

Deleted member 4366

It's been around a long time, as have Ebco. It should be well sorted by now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EBCO is a good company, started by the Stanforth brothers Paul and Rick who formerly founded Saracen Bikes which popularised mountain biking in the UK long ago.