Hi and advice on spare battery purchase

lovebreconbeacons

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Hi folks

I've just blown my latest amazon commission gift voucher on a new eco-stepper folding electric assist cycle.

From the pictures it looks like it's a Viking cycle. does anyone know where I can get a spare battery for the bike. The info says that the eco-stepper can go up to 30 miles on one charge which may be ok for short journeys but if I want to take a day out then it may be a bit tight on distance and a spare battery in the rucksack would be a big help.

I know its only a cheap cycle but if I like it I might look at buying a more expensive one later in the year. If any one has advice as to a folding bike with a good range then please let me know. Preferably one that I can buy from amazon so I don't have to part with real cash :)

thanks
Kevin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
To make it easy for those on here who know about batteries, you need to post a link to the bike.

As you are new, I will do it for you - is this it?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eco-Stepper-Folding-Electric-Black/dp/B007WOS2IO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364138650&sr=8-1

The range of ebikes is heavily dependent on the size of the battery, the one you are getting is 9ah.

Most folders have a similar size battery which will have a similar range, so you are already on the right lines by thinking of a spare battery.

D

Deleted member 4366

BMSBattery do a 15aH one that clips straight on for about £160
You get a spare charger and base for it too. The original base will sag after a bit and crack the plastic, so a spare will be useful. 15aH will increase your range by more than 50% so no need to carry a spare.
http://www.bmsbattery.com/24v/246-24v-lithium-ion-little-frog-abs-shell-ebike-battery-pack.html
They also so 36v ones as well, which will make your bike faster and more powerful without any other modification if that's what you want. The 36v one will also give you more range.

Last edited by a moderator:

lovebreconbeacons

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Hi

Thanks, that is the very cycle I have opted for.

I'm assuming it's a bog standard chinese OEM so batteries for it should be reasonably standard if I can find somewhere to buy from.

thanks
Kevin

lovebreconbeacons

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Hi thank for that link.

I'd like the extra range of the 36V battery but if anyone has a UK company link then that will be great.

I'm looking to do a lot of cycling along the Brecon and Monmouthshire canal so I need otal range of around 50- 60 miles so I'd probably need at least 2 batteries for a decent day out.

thanks
Kevin

D

Deleted member 4366

You should be able to get a 36v battery from Kudos. The range will be about 25% more than your present one, but, if your pedal sensor only gives full power, it'll be too fast. You'll be OK if you've got 3 levels of PAS.

If you get the battery from BMSBattery, you can get their KU65 controller at the same time for not a lot more, which will give you the LED panel with the three levels of PAS to make the bike more enjoyable and longer range.

lovebreconbeacons

Just Joined
Mar 23, 2013
Hi d8veh

The eco stepper has three power options for pedal assist so I think that could be ok.

I've just checked the details of BMS battery and they seem to be based in china. I don't have a problem with buying direct from china as one a credit card I get the normal UK consumer protection, it's just that extra 20% import VAT that's the killer :)

Kevin

D

Deleted member 4366

The price from BMSBattery is £175 including shipping. Duty will be about £25 to £30 from experience.