Hi, another which bike question...sorry

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
It sounds like you are determined to buy at a distance, so to get appropriate recommendations you need to answer a few questions, one a bit personal I'm afraid.

1. Your weight (sorry!)
2. Rough fitness level.
3. Expected terrain (how hilly)
4. Expected range.
5. What style of bike (step through, crossbar, ladies frame, etc)
6. Any other requirements?

We already know you are 5ft4 and have up to £1000 to spend, and don't want to DIY. Sounds like you also don't require suspension.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bagpuss

Pedelecer
May 9, 2016
nuneaton
It sounds like you are determined to buy at a distance, so to get appropriate recommendations you need to answer a few questions, one a bit personal I'm afraid.

1. Your weight (sorry!)
2. Rough fitness level.
3. Expected terrain (how hilly)
4. Expected range.
5. What style of bike (step through, crossbar, ladies frame, etc)
6. Any other requirements?

We already know you are 5ft4 and have up to £1000 to spend, and don't want to DIY.

Hi, it's not exactly that I'm determined, more that it's the only likely option, although I have said I am going to try and trial a couple at Halfords. Not all that fit, unfortunately the kidney disease causes breathlessness but did used to cycle a few miles a day. I've said I'm overweight...will leave it at that :) As said previously it's to initially do about a 10 mile round trip to the farm where my horse is kept, mostly lanes, a busy B road and a short farm track. Don't mind what style although do prefer mtb and sporty looking bikes but that's not a definite, would choose attributes over style.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Panniers adds to the usefulness of the bike if you use it as primary transport, and panniers don't mar the look of a step through.
If you have a crossbar, the bulk of the panniers makes it more difficult to mount.

Reactions: Bagpuss

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Seeing as you already have a Carrera Crossfire, i would have thought the Crossfire E would be perfect for you.
It has different frame sizes, its also in a women's low frame, Acera 8-speed, rear hub motor, hydraulic disc brakes and someone on here bought one and claimed the 9amp/hr battery was in fact an 11amp/hr, but a 9 would do you ok anyway. Halfords is local to you and its easy to go back with any probs.
And its right on the money for your budget.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Most of the bikes on the Halfords website are pretty low powered models, so don't be too dissapointed if they don't suit. They are unlikely to have much stock for you to try.

Perhaps you should try what you can then report back when you have a clearer picture of what you like/don't like.

As for MTB style, the Kudos Cobra/Tornado may suit, but I'm not sure about frame size.

The Tornado is the more powerful of the two. If you are over about 90k then a BPM motor is a good choice.

Bagpuss

Pedelecer
May 9, 2016
nuneaton
Seeing as you already have a Carrera Crossfire, i would have thought the Crossfire E would be perfect for you.
It has different frame sizes, its also in a women's low frame, Acera 8-speed, rear hub motor, hydraulic disc brakes and someone on here bought one and claimed the 9amp/hr battery was in fact an 11amp/hr, but a 9 would do you ok anyway. Halfords is local to you and its easy to go back with any probs.
And its right on the money for your budget.
Yep, have got it shortlisted.

Bagpuss

Pedelecer
May 9, 2016
nuneaton
I like the Kudos Tornado, just watched a short video of it in action and liked it. Leaning towards that or the Carrera I think. :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For distance buying and your price range have a look at Woosh bikes or even better have a chat with them also LEBC Hampton Wick/Richmond in London have the Vita Uno and Kudos Cobra both 26" wheel mtb for about 800-850 and there after sales is quite good LEBC /Tom does post on the forum.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I like the Kudos Tornado, just watched a short video of it in action and liked it. Leaning towards that or the Carrera I think. :)
Fosse Electric bikes normally keep a Kudos Tornado in stock,I think it is their top selling e-bike.
They are good guys and no pressure selling.
I think they are only 20 miles from you.
KudosDave

Bagpuss

Pedelecer
May 9, 2016
nuneaton
Fosse Electric bikes normally keep a Kudos Tornado in stock,I think it is their top selling e-bike.
They are good guys and no pressure selling.
I think they are only 20 miles from you.
KudosDave
Have spoken to Steven at Fosse Electric bikes and am hopefully going to pop over, just trying to arrange a lift :)

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
You may like to consider a Benelli City Link Sport (link below). I'm 60, 5'6" and not sat on a bike for at least 45 years. I've had it 6 months and think it's brilliant. I know nothing about bikes but at £900 thought it worth a punt and have not been disappointed so far.

http://www.benelliebikes.co.uk/benelli-model-details/City+Link+Sport+2016/
Hi sorry to but in but I'm looking at a city fold benelli just wanted to ask how you get on with just peddle assist and not throttle power only or have you looked in to making it both thanks Paul

Nidan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2016
Hi sorry to but in but I'm looking at a city fold benelli just wanted to ask how you get on with just peddle assist and not throttle power only or have you looked in to making it both thanks Paul

Nidan

Feb 23, 2016
Paul,

I've had the bike for about 8 months now and can't find fault with it. Before I bought it I thought a bike with a throttle would be best but since owning my Benelli I see I was wrong and that the peddle assist is more than enough. I have a regular 12 mile route with some quite steep hills which the bike handles very well and I've now cut down the amount of assist provided by the bike by quite a lot showing my fitness level has increased quite a bit. I hope this helps and if you have any others questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Phil

Swinman

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2016
Leicester
Paul,

I've had the bike for about 8 months now and can't find fault with it. Before I bought it I thought a bike with a throttle would be best but since owning my Benelli I see I was wrong and that the peddle assist is more than enough. I have a regular 12 mile route with some quite steep hills which the bike handles very well and I've now cut down the amount of assist provided by the bike by quite a lot showing my fitness level has increased quite a bit. I hope this helps and if you have any others questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Phil
My legs don't work like others so I can't peddle all the time but I love the bike so much I want to get one and see about a retro fit my plan is if the peddle sensor is outsid the crank case and works from magnets on the back of the crank I can work with it but if it's inside the cran working of the spindle that's a lot harder don't know if you looked haw yours is by any chance or a pic if poss thanks

Nidan

Feb 23, 2016
My legs don't work like others so I can't peddle all the time but I love the bike so much I want to get one and see about a retro fit my plan is if the peddle sensor is outsid the crank case and works from magnets on the back of the crank I can work with it but if it's inside the cran working of the spindle that's a lot harder don't know if you looked haw yours is by any chance or a pic if poss thanks
I don't know enough about these things to say but am happy to take some pics for you. In the meantime I've (hopefully) uploaded the User Manual /Specs for the bike which you may find of use or even answer your question.

Attachments

Reactions: Swinman