Hi, considering a suitable commuting ebike...

bluemoon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2011
Hi All,

Just a quick hello!

I am thinking of a conversion kit or complete cycle to speed my work commute 9.5 miles each way, 20 mile round trip. Currently the bus+walking manges about 7.5 mph average speed :( I am almost convinced an ebike/pedlecs should be quite doable over that distance!

Realistic option or not?

Cheers

Dan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Definitely well within e-bike capabilities Dan. The lower powered machines will usually average at least 12 mph, higher powered ones more like 15 mph, halving your journey time. The amount of assistance you need to add will vary according to what hills you have, but hills don't make much difference to average speeds since the speeds downhill make up for the lower ones going up.

Most e-bikes will cover 20 miles a day on a single charge, but since the range declines as a battery ages, best choose a bike which will give more, I'd suggest at least 30 miles. Narrow your bike or kit choices and post them on the main forum and members will advise on any problems and the real world range, as opposed to the optimism of most suppliers.

BrianSmithers

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2011
DA1
Hi Dan, I get three trips to work per charge on a return journey of 10 miles so your expectations are very realistic.

Best regards

- Brian
(Kudos Tourer).

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Hi,
I've got a Kudos Tourer, it would do your 20 miles and still manage another 10/15 miles after. I live in a hilly area and it gets me about at an average of 15 mph.

bluemoon

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks everyone not barking up the wrong tree then! Look foward o posting quite a few questions, e-bikes seem a bit of a mine feild..

Cheers

Dan

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Dan
Definitely try some. Find a nearby stockist with some decent hills and ask for a demo. The nice thing about a demo is that you're left alone, just you and the bike and the countryside, nobody browbeating you.
My other advice would be to choose a BEBA registered supplier / dealer, who have an excellent code of practice and offer mutual support and advice.
Good luck and I hope you're not overwhelmed by the interest you are about to receive from us dealers!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dan....definitely go somewhere to ride a number of different types of e-bikes and maybe the following may help.
1. Decide on an approximate budget
2. Decide on the type of bike for your usage-Step through or X-bar,Mountain bike style or Tourer,Leisure or commuting,hub drive or crank drive...a good dealer should help
3. Decide on the range you are intending....no point carrying an expensive/heavy 20 Ah battery if your range will be 30 miles max but shame if you run out of power on a 50 mile ride,consider using 2 batteries only when needed.
4. Ask how much is the cost of replacement batteries...in the excitement of buying a new bike a £500 plus replacement battery may seem irelevant but 2 years later this could be a shock....this cost is the biggest single factor in the running cost of an e-bike....many contributors to this forum are still using batteries past their prime and some bikes are left in the shed because the owner cannot face the new battery cost.
5. EN15194 standard is a guarantee that your bike has been designed and built to a good standard.
6. Servicing-does the bike have a strong dealer support and does the manufacturer keep supporting spares stock....try to ask other owners as to how good was after sales service.
7. Look at the specification in detail...these e-bikes have so much power (your legs,200 watts + motor 250 watts) that you don't need 27 speed gears....a good Deore 9 speed or Nexus 8 speed may prove better than a cheap 27 speed deraillieur....the Nexus 8 speed internal hubs require no cleaning after use.
Look at the quality of all the fittings,try to buy established branded parts which will be easier to service.
8. Take one step back and ask yourself honestly do you like the look of the bike....it may have the best spec at the best price but you have to live with the style.
9. Try the bike on the type of terrain you intend to ride....will you be climbing hills all the time or on the flat?..will you go off-road?
10. Where will you store the bike,these bikes mostly weigh 20 kgs plus....do you have a store which has easy access. Do you need to transport the bike in a car or boat....maybe a small wheel folder would be a better choice.
11. Security....all our urban bikes have an inbuilt rear wheel lock but the bike can still be picked up and thrown in a van....our new ECO bike has the latest type lock which locks the rear wheel and has an extendable cable to attach to lamppost etc...if a success we will offer this as an option on all bikes....see the photos of ECO bike on our website showing this lock type.

The recent cycle show at the NEC was a brilliant venue for trying many different types of e-bike,most of the major importers were represented....it's a shame that the e-bike industry has not got it's act together and have a dedicated e-bike show preferably in the spring time-the Tour de Presteigne is very good and great fun but it's a difficult access location.
In writing this thread I can understand what a complex decision process must be involved in selecting a suitable e-bike....but never buy an e-bike without riding it-I have customers who order off the website and arrange collection-we ask them don't they want to ride the bike-nope I know exactly what I want-they invariably go home with a completely different bike to their first decision!!!!!!!!!
Dave
KudosCycles

ribcageprotector.com

Nov 19, 2011
Personally I like powabykes

I like powabykes but they have limited range, amp hours are important, the lead batteries are very heavy but tend to have more amp hours or ah. Here are my rnges based on my weight of 16 stone.

Euro 6 Lead acid = 12 - 14 ah. = range approx 20 miles
X bike 6 Lithium ion = 4 Ah = range 6 - 8 miles

X bike + custom 20 ah battery = 35 miles + 4ah on frame = approx 40 miles

Depends on how much wind resistance hills and baggage weight.

I cycle with the batteries but doing about 10 to 30 % of the effort.

Last edited:

x332race

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2011
Don't forget, you could always have a charger at work to top up the battery when you get there if you think range will be an issue.

I don't know where you live but personally I would do anything to avoid the bus and to have Independence.