Hi Folks its me.

jollyjimbo

Just Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Paisley
Hey Girls and Guys.

This is my first time in ages on a forum of any kind. Been looking thru some of the posts and its a good place here.

Too many deep fried mars bars and tins of special bru have taken there toll on me. You know what us scottish folks are.

I want to upgrade my old giant mbt to a e-bike. I have let myself go over the years(48 now) to a nice 25 stone. I can still ride my bike. Be it slowly and not very far as i have dodgy knees and a lack of stamina. Mostly the second bit. There are a couple of canals nearby i like to ride. Nice and safe for everyone. I miss so much being able to go runs and a know when i do get the kit i will be out more often. I have a pal who bought kit and built his own battery and he gave me a good link. Tried to get a hold of the site by email to get some advice but no joy yet.

https://pedalease.co.uk/index.php?rt=product/product&product_id=13172335

I dont want a lot of stress on the rear wheel with the added weight of me and the motor and potentially a battery on the rear carrier.
But also the worry of having a powerful motor on the front that could knacker my front forks.

Could go down the avenue of a smaller system but would it be enough to pull me, I am looking for pedal assist. A full throttle would be nice but that defeats the purpose of my e-biking and getting fit,not fat.

So what you folks think. All advice taken, even the cutting out of dfmb and the bru.

Jim

Reactions: oyster

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Jim,
A bloke of your size would need a motor to match. Have a look at the BPM motor here, it's the 3rd kit down:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits
If you use a frame battery it centres some of the weight. Front hub are fine for road/canal path (use torque brackets in suspension forks), for anything more challenging rear hub. Woosh have a good rep on here and I have personal experience of their c.s. (My wife owns a Big Bear with this very motor).

Try a 5 and 2 diet. You restrict your calorie intake to 500 for two days a week, any two doesn't matter. Rest of the time you eat what you want. Works for me. Weight goes down gently and you don't obsess about food 'cos you only have to think about it 2 days a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: jollyjimbo
D

Deleted member 4366

I think that Pedalease kit might struggle with your weight because it's designed for speed rather than torque. I think that a slow wind 48v Bafang BPM at around 25 amps would be more suitable. You'd have to get it from China. The 48v SWX02 from Woosh would probably be the best UK option. Slightly mre expensive would be a Bafang BBSHD. That would cost around £1100 for a complete kit

Reactions: jollyjimbo

jollyjimbo

Just Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Paisley
Thanks guys. Have had a look and the third bit of kit looks good. Am gonna have to loose a 2 or 3 stone before a get one of these cause will end up with my frame snapping because of the abuse it will receive. Really appreciate the guidance. Bikes are fine for the small and overweight but the big n over weight have to be less heavy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
5 years warranty on a new bike frame and id doubt you would brake one tbh the wheels will go first but some decent DH wheels will sort that but cost a bit.