Hi from a convert

G5rry

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2017
Norwich
Recently converted a 2015 Specialized Cirrus with a Sparticle front wheel kit.
Hadn't ridden for years, so picked up a slightly tatty Cirrus off gumtree, confirmed how unfit I am, so rather than stick it in the garage I picked up a kit off E-bay (originally supplied by the Electric Transport shop in York).

Have now fitted it all on and have started using it to commute to work (only 8 miles a day but better than nothing I guess).
Kit is a Sparticle 250w front wheel with a Boss controller and a large L-ion battery with a 36v charger, that all goes in a bag on the back, just runs from a twist throttle that I have to force myself not to use to much.
Can now enjoy going out with mates who have been commuting for years without being left in their wake.
Can only say if you have never tried one of these and are considering it, go try one, I don't think you will regret it.
One question, I am so impressed with my home made effort that I have been considering if I should purchase a proper electric bike, not stupid money just a second hand Giant or Carrera etc any thoughts?

One final thing the Electric Transport shop in York have been great, even though I didn't purchase the kit from them they have been more than happy to offer any help and advice, fantastic service so rarely seen now days.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Welcome to the dark side. :)

Click these words and take a look at this guide on how to insert an avatar and pics. You may find it useful. :)

One question, I am so impressed with my home made effort that I have been considering if I should purchase a proper electric bike, not stupid money just a second hand Giant or Carrera etc any thoughts?

I've bought a couple of used bikes from the members here. They've been great fun. Keep an eye on the classified ads section of this forum for those. If you can wait a while, something suitable for you might come up at some point leading up to xmas.

If you can't wait and want a decent new one, you might want to consider buying a warrantied bike from one of the traders here. I would. Depends on your budget really. A grand or so isn't extreme for a brand new ebike in my opinion. You'll obviously want reliability for your 8 mile commute.

Out of curiosity, what's your height and weight? Judging by your comments, you seem to favour the eMTB (mountain bike) style of bike? That info might help others to identify a suitable bike for you.

G5rry

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 7, 2017
Norwich
Hi
Cheers for reply.
Will keep an eye on the adds see what comes up.
5'10" and about 15 stone, tend to avoid scales, never tell me anything good so may be more than I think.
Cirrus is more of a hybrid than mountain bike I thought.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
My son's got a Sirrus - great bikes! :)

Gaz

Reactions: LeighPing