hi from a wintry ULSTER

willcee

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2018
ulster
newbie here.. but not to bikes or cycling, retired, a carer, a long time cyclist, a good car & cycle mechanic, waiting on two hip replacements, been considering a lt/wt build mid motor for some considerable while, have everything I need, except mid motor and battery, & researching, which would be best, all the while aware that in my part of Uk, they haven't yet sorted the E situation and I will have to go same as mainland Uk with the advanced pedelec powered registration, insurance, tax, helmet etc etc.. mine won't be to UK spec, I need a throttle when my hips get sore at 20plus miles , nor do i think 40 n/metres torque is going to handle our steep hilly areas.. so I'm all ears for anyone who has used either Bfang or T/Sheng and can assist in my endeavours.. cheers will

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Hi Will, welcome to the forum, i`m in co. down so i know what you mean when you say `hilly`.
First ebike here was a hub powered folder, nice enough on the flat and around parkland etc but not man enough for the steep hills.
I then started on mid drive Bafang conversions, first one was a BBS02 ex-halfords MTB, 26" wheels, front sus, Alfine8 geared hub etc (see pic)
Next one was a conversion on a Whyte hybrid bike (see pic), quality item built in the UK. I went for the Bafang BBSHD motor this time, these motors are over-engineered, they`ll take all the abuse you can throw at them, out of 9 assist levels i`ve never had to go over no.5 yet and whisper quiet with it.

One of the most important things about the bafang compared to other mid-drive bikes is their system isn`t locked, you can tune it to suit your individual requirements, laptop and cable are all that you need.
You can of course just go out and buy an ebike from the store and off you go, but personally i like to build something and have the satisfaction that it `works` the way you want it to.
Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Attachments