Hi from Anglesey North Wales

Quark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 2, 2013
Hi all,

Well after many years of wanting to do this, I have finally started my first electric bike project. I have decided to convert my existing mountain bike for my first build, and so far have managed to buy a crystalyte motor and an infineon controller, a rear rack and a motorcycle top box for battery storage, so the journey begins! My intention is to commute to work, some 24 miles of undulating roads with a few major hills, there and back in all weather with the exception of snow and ice so my biggest consideration and of course financial outlay will be my battery pack, Im looking at 48v 20ahr pack but cost here may be the restriction on the size of my pack. Im looking forward to picking brains here to help me on my way, Im an aircraft avionic/elec tech by trade so I do have a bit of a clue what Im doing but no experience at this as yet. Nice to meet you all.

Paul

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Hi Paul

Welcome to the fourm.

Battery into reasonable size box dimensions are always an issue, whats the internal size of the box ?

If you have the skills, then splitting the pack into a more friendly size is an option..

Last edited:

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi to Anglesey from Anglesey. :) Had guessed Llanddona as a few peeps go to Airbus from there but tis further than 12 miles ;)

not sure what all the technical stuff is but how fast should it go and is it throttle or pedelec etc?

I keep telling people Anglesey isn't flat!!

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi all,

Well after many years of wanting to do this, I have finally started my first electric bike project. I have decided to convert my existing mountain bike for my first build, and so far have managed to buy a crystalyte motor and an infineon controller, a rear rack and a motorcycle top box for battery storage, so the journey begins! My intention is to commute to work, some 24 miles of undulating roads with a few major hills, there and back in all weather with the exception of snow and ice so my biggest consideration and of course financial outlay will be my battery pack, Im looking at 48v 20ahr pack but cost here may be the restriction on the size of my pack. Im looking forward to picking brains here to help me on my way, Im an aircraft avionic/elec tech by trade so I do have a bit of a clue what Im doing but no experience at this as yet. Nice to meet you all.

Paul
We look forward to seeing the finished bike. I hope you post some pictures along the way.

20aH 48v in a topbox will lead to a very unmanageable bike. It'll try and turn upside down as you roll it out of your garage/shed and will wheelie when you open up the throttle, plus you front wheel will wash-out when you open the throttle on any surface with bad grip.

You should think about splitting the battery into two 10aH ones and getting at least one in the frame triangle. Whatever you put behind the seat has to be as low as possible and right up against the seat-post. If your bike has rear suspension, you have to allow for suspension travel, which forces the battery higher than you want.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Quick thought.....could you mount 2 off these water bottle style 10,4 Ah batteries side by side....when back at work I will try it with tie wraps to see how it looks?what the balance/weight feels like?
Because these batteries are used by so many manufacturers they are cheap(£198.00 each) and readily available,it may be an easy way of getting 21Ah on the bike?
What do you think?
KudosDave

Quark

Mar 2, 2013
Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcome, although Im loathed to mount the battery in the rear so high up, with the bike frame I have there isnt very much room in the triangle, I have done a few tests with 15kg in the top box and it does feel a little top heavy but not unmanageable, i may have to drop to 15ahr or even 10ahr if the weight is really an issue, I may give it a few more tries with different weights. The bike will be pure throttle with no need to pedal but I still intend to pedal to help keep fit, the motor and controller are both capable of much more than I intend to use, but with a basic setup drawing around 30 - 40A continuous with potential 80A bursts of power it is likely it will be capable of speeds up 30 - 40mph but because of range I will limit this power and speed using the programmable controller and cycle anylyst, I realise this has legal implications but I have decided to try my luck with the law as I dont agree with the limits for electric bikes anyway. I like the sound of these water bottle batteries, what kind of output are they capable of? I was thinking of going down the 15ahr lifepo4 headway cells route, as I can easy add to the pack when budget and frame size increase! Hi to wissy im in Llangefni and need to ride to RAF Valley! Just need to figure out how to post some pics now!

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
it is likely it will be capable of speeds up 30 - 40mph
Errrrrrrrrrrrrr..... down hill with assistance maybe, if the bike gearing allows your legs to keep up :p

If your over volting the motor for extra speed..

RPM of motor at stated voltage / stated voltage = rpm per volt

(rpm per volt * new battery voltage) * wheel dia = distance per min

I'll leave you to do the rest of the sum

72 is probably the answer to the as yet unasked question :cool:

Last edited:

Quark

Mar 2, 2013
2013-03-02-117.jpg2013-03-02-118.jpg2013-03-02-119.jpg2013-03-02-120.jpgWell when done I will try it out measuring speed by gps, as I said whats it can do and what I let it do are 2 different things, I would run 72v 24s 2p if I had the room in my frame but I just dont unfortunately and at max speed pedalling may not be an option, I have hopefully posted some pics of the build so far.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Twin batteries mounted pannier fashion can be an option too, getting the rear weight lower down. Giant have down that on their 20 Ah Giant Twist 1 and 2 models in the past, and I've ridden with triple 10 Ah batteries on a couple of my bikes, one in the in-frame position and one spare in each pannier bag.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Great piccys Paul :D

Boxes are a PITA and I had to buy several before I found one I was happy with

Picture 003_800x598.jpg

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Hi All,
, I realise this has legal implications but I have decided to try my luck with the law as I dont agree with the limits for electric bikes anyway. I like the sound of these water bottle batteries, what kind of output are they capable of? I was thinking of going down the 15ahr lifepo4 headway cells route, as I can easy add to the pack when budget and frame size increase! Hi to wissy im in Llangefni and need to ride to RAF Valley! Just need to figure out how to post some pics now!
for photos register with photobucket and then copy / paste the codey thing that says img in brackets thing and then name of your photofile then more brackets thing slash to the forum and voila....

Look forward to photos.....

The 'lanes' that way to RAF V are busier than main roads unfortunately..... usually council vehicles taking short cuts..... few choices of getting there though? Uphill on way home ;)

More cops in RAF Valley or 'nearby' nowadays than rest of island :). benllech one used ot cupycle a couple of decades ago.

Ps My mam taught in Corn Hir many moons ago.

Last edited:

Quark

Mar 2, 2013
Yeah Im going to stick with the A5 to get to work, I think it will be safer than the B roads, the cardboard box you can see in the pics is the correct size for a 15ahr headway pack with BMS weight around 10kg, I intend to fix the controller to the front of the box then run the cables direct into the box, keeping all connections nice and dry in the box. If this build goes well and Im happy with the results I intend to get serious with the next one and build my own bespoke frame from aircraft grade aluminium not unlike the steath mountainbike concept.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
in the pics is the correct size for a 15ahr headway pack
Lol...

If your sure you have the size correct.. then the top box looks bigger than it really is (maybe its the lid)

Quark

Mar 2, 2013
Size is correct if the website sizes are correct, the box does look big in the photos, there will be some room in there but not as much as the photo makes it look like, I still have alot of work to do, I have torque arms to make, I need to extend the motor phase and hall cables 500mm, bolt on the controller, cycle anylyst, cruise switch, regen button (not using a lever for this)and then run all cables and loom them in a tidy and hopefully waterproof manner, then all a matter of choosing and saving for the battery pack. Im looking forward to my first flight! lol

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Regen...... Well yeah it does but as to it providing any worthwhile benefit is another matter, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quark

Mar 2, 2013
I agree, but if it gives me a little power and some braking effort then its worth using it if you have the option with your controller, if it extended my range by 50m id be happy lol

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
The regen maybe more effective in reducing the wear on your brakes? more so if you are able to alter the effective braking of the regen.

Bob

Quark

Mar 2, 2013
Exactly what I was thinking because my controller is fully adjustable including the regen effectiveness and regen voltage.

Paul

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
Welcome aboard!

I miss Anglesey :( I was born in Bangor and lived at Porth Llechog and Rhosybol as a youngster.

Quark

Mar 2, 2013
Thanks Dubster,
Maybe you should come back for a visit sometime, bring the bike!