Hi from clanky

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
Hi,

I'm a convert from the motorcycling world, I was into motorbike trail riding but more and more greenlanes are being closed to motorbikes. This is mostly because the 4x4 drivers are destroying them and the councils are now banning all motorised vehicles. There is now nowhere left to ride off-road in the East Midlands (I'm from South Lincolnshire). So I've sold my motorbike and am now going to use my hardtail mountain bike to convert to an electric bike (I've got a budget of £750). I'm going to start with a simple ebay hub motor kit and see how I get on. If I like pedelec'ing I'm going to get a bit more ambitious and build a mid motor unit with full suspension. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession and have my own machine tools, welder etc.

I've done loads of research so far and I'm really pleased with the open mindedness of the community. The petrol motorcycling community is usually ok, but when it comes to off-road bikes it can get very elitist - which In my opinion comes through from the manufacturers like KTM. I don't think elitism will creep into ebikes as the legislation is so grey it tends to suit people with brains and a shed.

I would also really like to make an important point - the dirt motorbike riders have ruined the scene for themselves by riding like hooligans and posting the obligatory youtube video as evidence. Ebike riders should learn from this a be very careful about what they put online as it will just draw too much of the wrong attention.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Welcome Clanky.

Coming from the motorcycling world, I suggest that you get yourself something with a bit of poke to it, or you may be disappointed. A rear drive BPM/CST from BMS battery would be a good start, and would come within budget.

If your going off road, you probably need a geared hub motor. Many of the more powerful ones on eBay are direct drive, so be careful.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I don't think elitism will creep into ebikes

Hah! Only from the types selling them, maybe :)

I would also really like to make an important point - the dirt motorbike riders have ruined the scene for themselves by riding like hooligans and posting the obligatory youtube video as evidence. Ebike riders should learn from this a be very careful about what they put online as it will just draw too much of the wrong attention.
That's a damn good point to bear in mind.

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
Hi Mike,

I was looking at this for my first bike (1000w rear wheel but with a 15 ah LiFe):

http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/electric-bicycle-conversion-kits-48v-volt-500-1000w-front-or-rear-wheel-bike-motor.html

I have asked them to confirm that it is actually a proper gear motor instead of a direct drive fitted with a free wheel which they can then claim are the gears. I have used this company for motorbike bits before and they are usually good.

As for speed - when I used to ride the green lanes (the Viking way) I very rarely went over 20 mph, part of the reason for being so frustrated over the ban of motorised vehicles. The only bikers now using the green lanes are teenagers on unregistered and often stolen motocross and pit bikes, I bet they would gladly see the slow (and dare I say it - middle aged!) trail riders back again now......

I noticed that there is speak of a national organisation, if this goes ahead it would be good to use the TRF (trial riders fellowship) as a model as they have defended bikers quite well, sadly in my region the NIMBY's won out in the end.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If the picture in the link is the hub, they are a cheap Direct Drive hub, they are all over Ebay.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
When I said poke, I really meant torque, I should have been clearer.

As you say, it's not really about top speed.

I don't know anything about those motors I'm afraid. My guess is that they are DD from the look of it.

If you buy the right kit first time, you won't have to buy it again, so I suggest:

Pick a voltage and stick too it. 36v is the Most common, and probably the most useful.

The battery will be your most significant investment, so go for something that will meet your needs - 15ah lithium would be a good start point.

Don't buy a crap hub motor and then conclude that they are all rubbish. A good one is hardly any more cost than a crap one, and can always be sold on.

Hope that helps a bit.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Your budget would allow buying a complete bike, an extra 49 pound would allow a mid drive bike, Woosh and if you check some of the advertisers there would be plenty of others.
I live in Australia so will allow others to suggest UK sellers of kits etc.
if you want to get a start have a look at bmsbattery.com keep in mind shipping and customs will bump their prices a lot.

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
When I said poke, I really meant torque, I should have been clearer.

As you say, it's not really about top speed.

I don't know anything about those motors I'm afraid. My guess is that they are DD from the look of it.

If you buy the right kit first time, you won't have to buy it again, so I suggest:

Pick a voltage and stick too it. 36v is the Most common, and probably the most useful.

The battery will be your most significant investment, so go for something that will meet your needs - 15ah lithium would be a good start point.

Don't buy a crap hub motor and then conclude that they are all rubbish. A good one is hardly any more cost than a crap one, and can always be sold on.

Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks Mike,

I guess the nature of building ebikes takes a lot of research and a bit of risk. But that's a big reason why I'm looking forward to getting stuck in and trying a few things out.

I think you're right about the motor, I can build up a spoked wheel myself so the motor isn't a massive part of the investment. I would guess the when you include the battery, wheel, controller etc.. the motor unit is probably only 25% of the cost.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks Mike,

I guess the nature of building ebikes takes a lot of research and a bit of risk. But that's a big reason why I'm looking forward to getting stuck in and trying a few things out.

I think you're right about the motor, I can build up a spoked wheel myself so the motor isn't a massive part of the investment. I would guess the when you include the battery, wheel, controller etc.. the motor unit is probably only 25% of the cost.
If you order from BMS they will supply it ready made into a rim. If you go for a rear (I guess you will want to as a m/c rider) you will need to dish it, no problem for a capable man like yourself.