hi from Cork in Ireland

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
my name is richie , a friend of mine told me about this site . im about to purchase my first e-bike very soon !
its a KTM e style P crossbar version , size 56 cm.
i have been following the evolution of these bikes for several years now and finally i am taking the plunge.
my friend who showed me this site told me a few years ago not to be in any hurry to buy, as e-bikes are improving at such a rapid pace and that was good advice .
i like to cycle camp in summer and the e style p seems like a nice touring frame.
well , as you can imagine i will have lots of questions as i put my touring rig together and i look forward to chating with you ! cheers ... richie

Reactions: mountainsport

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Welcome to the asylum, Richie :confused:

Be sure to post photos of the bike; and your opinion of it.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
hi jackhandy, i sure will post some pics .. when i get the hang of the site .
i am awaiting a delivery date from ktm in europe .. should not be long .

cheers

James Wall

Just Joined
Mar 24, 2014
hi richard. could you find a stockist in ireland? i'm just a little concerned about buying online.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
hello james , i contacted ktm and they sent me one name , richies bike store in swords. 018900631
he has ordered the bike 10 days ago and it should arrive soon.
i am uneasy about buying a bike that i cant test ride and try for size also.
but there is little other choice as i imagine that is the first e-style P in the country. i have not paid a deposit so i suppose if there is a major issue i need not complete the sale.
but i want the bike , its just the size that worries me a little . im in between sizes and sometimes a 51 suits better than a 56 and sometimes its the other way round , it depends on the make and model. but its safe enough with the adjustable stem.
i went for the 56 anyway, they say go for the bigger size , but this is not always the case. but other than flying to the uk to try both sizes there is not a lot of choice.
i live in youghal county cork, so if you are interested in this bike you are wellcome to come and check it out .... richie

Ollie from GreenAer

Just Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Hello Richard, welcome to the e bike world.
Just to let you know that we have been dealing with premium e bikes in Ireland since 2008, we are the distributors for BH Emotion, Promovec , Gocycle, we have also Kalkhoff and Momentum in stock. We have also access to Haibike and are starting the distribution of Urban Arrow e bikes. We don t have access to KTM but have Bosch diagnostic systems . if you need assistance let us know ! In the meanwhile enjoy your e bike !

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
my name is richie , a friend of mine told me about this site . im about to purchase my first e-bike very soon !
its a KTM e style P crossbar version , size 56 cm.
i have been following the evolution of these bikes for several years now and finally i am taking the plunge.
my friend who showed me this site told me a few years ago not to be in any hurry to buy, as e-bikes are improving at such a rapid pace and that was good advice .
i like to cycle camp in summer and the e style p seems like a nice touring frame.
well , as you can imagine i will have lots of questions as i put my touring rig together and i look forward to chating with you ! cheers ... richie
Welcome Richard, Richie,Rich

What do your friends call you? Anyway, have a nice time on here.

MS

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I like the look of the bike and the word is that it goes some. I was told the range may be a bit limited if you use the power so it may not be ideal for touring - I guess it depends on how much work you do and how little you use the power. Be interested to hear how you find it when it arrives.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
hi all,
the ktm e style p arrived in the dealers this week. 2 weeks from date of order , no complaints there !
i must admit i was a bit anxious driving to the shop for it , will the size be right ?
without even turning on the electrics i jumped up and rode it around the block. i was definitely too upright but i knew the suspension seat post needed to be risen and that there were 2 spacers on the headset that could be lowered but the bars were in the lowest position. within the space of 10 minutes the dealer had cut the headset tube to size and removed the spacers. relief all round , the size was good, a little swapping and i would be comfy. now that i could breathe again, the first thing that struck me was how compact it was , the wheelbase is a nice length and the bike has a tidy feel to it. remove the battery and you would not know it was an e-bike.
the hub motor is really compact and neat. up to now all the pics i had seen made the battery seem wide , but i was surprised at how slim it is ... hope you can see from my pic. the cube bar grips are very comfy also but i will be swapping them out for ergon gp5,s complete with long barends, the bars are nice also , they are not very wide but they curve back quite a bit., ill see how i get on with them but i may prefer straight bars cut in a little more, i have a long reach and i need the distance. the saddle is not for me , i will swap it for a B 17 , i have one on my dawes century but its staying there. don't know whether ill get on with the suspension seat post either , i have tried before and failed , we'll see. i want to stress that these are all changes that i pretty much knew i'd be making before i ever got the bike . i know by now what makes a bike comfy for me , its only personal preference , there is absolutely nothing wrong with the bike as is . i locked out the suspension as i wont be needing that much . the lights are great , big front and rear runing off the dynamo , independent from the battery , nice one that . hydraulic disc brakes have real stoping power . if the marathon energiser plus are anything like the marathon plus on my other bike ill have no complaints ... 18 months now without a puncture , unreal ! the bike is pretty heavy but you dont notice it until you go to lift it ... for me its not an issue as i will be adding a lot more weight with panniers and camping gear . im not altogether sure if i will be able to fit my bob yak trailer to the axle , again watch this space . if i can i will be delighted , im a bit of a trailerhead.
i haven't done much riding yet , but this bike has tucks of power , in eco mode she goes nicely and there's plenty of room for work . in standard she is awesome and i have not tried high yet. auto is also extremely powerfull. but i have done nothing with her yet . when i have made my changes and hopefully hooked up my trailer , i will test her well and see what range i can achieve over mixed terrain when she is laden .
thats what she is for! i fully expect to need a second battery for touring but i cant afford that for some time now as my finances are in a state of shock !!!! ok ... hope this may be helpfull and informative ... richie.
ktm1.JPGktm2.JPGktm3.JPGktm4.JPG

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
hi martin and mike. ive ordered the bob nuts but as you know the rack hangs right over it , if i replace the studs with dome head and modify the shafts there is a small chance , its worth a try !
i want to thank both you and mike for all the help and advise you gave me all along. i would like it to be known on this forum that i fully intended to buy this bike in the uk. i was informed that there was no ktm distributor here in ireland. i contacted both onbike and emotion for prices and info as i was going to have the bike sent over by courier as i did with the dawes century in 2012.
i must say that the help and advise i got was second to none , both from mike field in onbike and mark butler in emotion. just a few weeks ago i learned from ktm that they had appointed a distributor in swords in dublin. because of the saving involved from buying in euro and not incurring shipping costs it made more sense for me to buy in ireland.
but i would like to say that i would have no hesitation in dealing with either onbike or emotion in the future as they could not have been more helpfull.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
hi john , i didnt connect the post to you !
i want to say thanks to you also for being so helpfull to me and i think the torq is a really nice bike. wishing you all the best, thanks ... richie

C

Cyclezee

hi john , i didnt connect the post to you !
i want to say thanks to you also for being so helpfull to me and i think the torq is a really nice bike. wishing you all the best, thanks ... richie
Hi Richie,

All the best and I hope you fit your Bob Yak OK, they are great bit of kit although their are much cheaper alternatives available now.

I bough mine second hand and in mint condition from a tandem owner .