Hi from Elgin Scotland

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
I`ve been biking for years, mostly forest tracks and cycle a lot over on the west coast but the hills on the west are a killer, at the moment I have Carrera Vengeance and was planning a Cyclotricity kit either the 500W or the 1000W and came across this site, looks like a lot of good advice on here.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
The Cyclotricity are very heavy direct drive motors that are built for speed on the flat, if the hills are very steep they may lack the torque. Have you considered a banfang crank motor? a 750w coupled with a decent battery and controller should get you up the steepest of hills and do better on rough track than the hubs do.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Forget those 'high power' motors, you won't need 'em. I live in West Wales, also noted for it's hills. I am a 63 year leisure cyclist, certainly no athlete. I have a Carrera Crossfire that I converted myself with an Ezee kit. Despite being rated at 'only' 250watts it gets me up all the hills I can find. You'll find that the power ratings are merely a legal nicety and many draw 600 - 720 watts on top setting.
I looked at Vengence and thought it a good bike for conversion. Have a look at the bigger hub motors (Woosh BPM, Ezee) these are geared hubs and are very torquey. If you favour a crank drive BBS01 should do you.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.

• Informative

JohnnyGM7LSI

Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2016
Elgin Moray
The Cyclotricity are very heavy direct drive motors that are built for speed on the flat, if the hills are very steep they may lack the torque. Have you considered a banfang crank motor? a 750w coupled with a decent battery and controller should get you up the steepest of hills and do better on rough track than the hubs do.
Thanks for the reply Andy, I did have a look at them too, I think what swayed me to the rear or front hub was the reduced wear on the power train, and the battery capacity/distance, and I mostly ride on level or hills that I can cycle up, with a bit of a puff LOL, I`ll have another look at them tonight, I rang Ebikes Direct today and they recommended a 250w front hub with a 15Ah battery, he said the 500w rear drive would eat the batteries even on the 250w setting. in fact I think they only do rear drive in 500w models.

• Informative

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Forget those 'high power' motors, you won't need 'em. I live in West Wales, also noted for it's hills. I am a 63 year leisure cyclist, certainly no athlete. I have a Carrera Crossfire that I converted myself with an Ezee kit. Despite being rated at 'only' 250watts it gets me up all the hills I can find. You'll find that the power ratings are merely a legal nicety and many draw 600 - 720 watts on top setting.
I looked at Vengence and thought it a good bike for conversion. Have a look at the bigger hub motors (Woosh BPM, Ezee) these are geared hubs and are very torquey. If you favour a crank drive BBS01 should do you.
Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Yes, I tend to agree, many of the 250w motors are sold as 350w or higher to other markets, its the controller power and the way its programmed coupled with the battery power that can define.

Weight can also play a role along with wheel size and other factors.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Thanks for the reply Andy, I did have a look at them too, I think what swayed me to the rear or front hub was the reduced wear on the power train, and the battery capacity/distance, and I mostly ride on level or hills that I can cycle up, with a bit of a puff LOL, I`ll have another look at them tonight, I rang Ebikes Direct today and they recommended a 250w front hub with a 15Ah battery, he said the 500w rear drive would eat the batteries even on the 250w setting. in fact I think they only do rear drive in 500w models.
Welcome Johnny, another recent poster made some interesting points, he is using an ezee, which are renown for their power, have you looked at the BPM that woosh offers? They do a front or back, it has a 20A controller and is one of the most powerful 250w rated motors in its class. Woosh hubs are geared, which provides better pulling power and I think the ezee is too, maybe the other poster can clarify.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Despite being rated at 'only' 250watts it gets me up all the hills I can find.
You need to look harder;) I seem to remember there's something called Snowdonia nearby and if you think you could hit the top with a 250W front hub I'd like to see it (I struggle on a lightweight full-suspension BBS02 750W)...and welcome Johnny!

• Informative

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Not knocking cyclotricity they are very powerful motors but being direct drive you may find a geared hub more fit for purpose.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
You need to look harder;) I seem to remember there's something called Snowdonia nearby and if you think you could hit the top with a 250W front hub I'd like to see it (I struggle on a lightweight full-suspension BBS02 750W)
Now its getting interesting, what bike have you got the 750w crank drive on Steve? Im 18st no? Idea of the OP weight has about you Steve?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
You need to look harder;) I seem to remember there's something called Snowdonia nearby and if you think you could hit the top with a 250W front hub I'd like to see it (I struggle on a lightweight full-suspension BBS02 750w)
Did say I am 63 AND a leisure cyclist. 'Fraid my yahoo days barraling up things like Snowdon are well over:(. Anyway Snowdons north Wales, 2&half hours drive from sunny Ceredigion.
Still the Ezee is a geared hub with loadsa torque, does me fine. The wife's Big Bear has the BPM motor and also climbs well. In fact to see her puddling up these lanes on a dutch style bike, and never getting out of the saddle, is quite amusing.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Did say I am 63 AND a leisure cyclist. 'Fraid my yahoo days barraling up things like Snowdon are well over:(. Anyway Snowdons north Wales, 2&half hours drive from sunny Ceredigion.
Still the Ezee is a geared hub with loadsa torque, does me fine. The wife's Big Bear has the BPM motor and also climbs well. In fact to see her puddling up these lanes on a dutch style bike, and never getting out of the saddle, is quite amusing.
Im 61 and also a leisure cyclist, biggest hill im likely to encounter is a sleeping policeman :)

Out of the ezee and the big bear, which motor would you say was more powerful in terms of speed and hill climbing?

Thanks, Andy

• :D
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Sorry Ben, being facetious;)...the Big Bear is a good bike for climbing from what I read and you'll struggle to keep up with the missus lol...hope to bump into you when we move in the New Year:cool:

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Now its getting interesting, what bike have you got the 750w crank drive on Steve? Im 18st no? Idea of the OP weight has about you Steve?
At the risk of going off-topic...All our "own" bikes are BBS02 750W (cue the flaming by the power-police), my personal bike is a medium framed S-Works Enduro with 200mm travel both ends, Hope V4 brakes, etc (pic below without motor as it was out for service), the wife rides a small Specialized SX which I actually prefer in some scenarios (don't tell her that tho;))...and, as you may be able to tell by my avatar, I'm a small chap like you too:pDSC_0055.JPG DSC_0124.JPG

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Nice looking bikes Steve, did u do the conversions yourself?
Well aye...I wouldn't trust anyone else to build something for me to ride, something I carry through from the motorbikes:)

I build all my bikes with an eye to fooling the casual observer, but the local kids on the DH tracks all know us now as we are the OAPs who keep riding up their DH track on the way home:D

Reactions: Andy88