Hi from Wales!

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I'm a lass from Abergavenny in South Wales and I've been waiting many months for my ebike to arrive before introducing myself.

I'm going from this...

My Street Triple on the Blorenge mountain near Abergavenny. It will be sold to fund my new bike.

... to this!

The lion doesn't think much of it but I do!

It's the 2014 KTM ELycan P and I've been lusting after it since February. Here's a couple more close ups. It looks much better in person than it does in the few photos I've seen of them.

I've already begun tailoring the bike to my needs. I swapped out the existing pedals as I don't have fancy cycling shoes, I changed the saddle do a more comfy KTM one and I've added mudguards. So these pictures are not as it comes should anyone be wondering. :)

I enjoy reading this forum immensely and especially posts by EddiePJ about his off-road riding. I hope to get out soon with my camera and join him in celebrating e-mountain bikes.

Reactions: Wicky

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I should add that I bought it from E-Motion in Swindon who took the trouble to deliver it to Wales and set the bike up for me. I've been super pleased with their service from the test ride right through to getting me started.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Hello TK, and welcome. As David Frost used to say before his last career move.

Nice bikes. Did you used to hang out at that lean in the town where all the bikers go?

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
Hee hee, thanks Jackhandy! I've just posted my first off-road experience into the 'How Many People Are Using Their Ebike Off-Road?' thread. It was a mix of good fun and frustration from lack of experience. But I still enjoyed it thoroughly and am hankering to get out on it again. On the tarmac I love how much the bike helps me out which leads me to a false sense of feeling fit and fast and fantasizing that I am in the Tour de France. It's such a shame that more people don't know how fun ebikes are!

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
I'm a lass from Abergavenny in South Wales and I've been waiting many months for my ebike to arrive before introducing myself.

I'm going from this...

My Street Triple on the Blorenge mountain near Abergavenny. It will be sold to fund my new bike.

... to this!

The lion doesn't think much of it but I do!

It's the 2014 KTM ELycan P and I've been lusting after it since February. Here's a couple more close ups. It looks much better in person than it does in the few photos I've seen of them.

I've already begun tailoring the bike to my needs. I swapped out the existing pedals as I don't have fancy cycling shoes, I changed the saddle do a more comfy KTM one and I've added mudguards. So these pictures are not as it comes should anyone be wondering. :)

I enjoy reading this forum immensely and especially posts by EddiePJ about his off-road riding. I hope to get out soon with my camera and join him in celebrating e-mountain bikes.

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
Hi TinKitten,

I'm a convert from motorcycling myself. I'm more than a bit jealous of your new bike as it must be great to go out on the trails on (especially in Wales). I've got to build one myself from a combination of a donor bike, kit and a few bespoke parts. There's got to be some scope for everyone to meet up at some point for a little light trail riding.

Have fun.

clanky

Reactions: TinKitten

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
A few years back I did look at the possibility of getting an off road motorbike. I even went up to Birmingham to look at buying a Serow. But I eventually decided that I didn't know enough about bike maintenance to keep one running and that if it failed on the trail when I was out alone I might be in trouble. Having an ebike satisfies the same urges to extend my range in the countryside with the added benefit of how quiet it is!

The plus point of you building a bike is hopefully you end up with exactly what you want. :)

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
A few years back I did look at the possibility of getting an off road motorbike. I even went up to Birmingham to look at buying a Serow. But I eventually decided that I didn't know enough about bike maintenance to keep one running and that if it failed on the trail when I was out alone I might be in trouble. Having an ebike satisfies the same urges to extend my range in the countryside with the added benefit of how quiet it is!

The plus point of you building a bike is hopefully you end up with exactly what you want. :)
I agree totally with you, I mostly went trail riding alone but it always was in the back of my mid about what would happened if I crashed. I was not too worried about minor breakdowns, it was more about damaging myself. What inspired you to make the switch from petrol to electricity?
For me it was the freedom to use more trails without upsetting people and being arrested under the very shakey section 59 law.

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk
I love to go walking in the wonderful countryside we have around here and kept finding myself torn on sunny days. If I went out on my motorbike then I was stuck on the road as I wasn't dressed for waking, and if I walked then I couldn't have the fun of the bike and was limited as to how far my feet could carry me. I wished there was a way to do both, which seemed impossible after I had discounted the practicalities of me getting a trail bike. Then 6 months ago a light bulb lit up over my head and I googled 'electric mountain bike' not expecting them to exist. To my delight they did and the rest is history. I'm definitely sad to sell my motorbike and I've been dragging my feet about putting it up for sale, but I wasn't getting out on it much and couldn't afford all the ongoing costs of it anyway. I won't sell all my motorbike gear in case circumstances change in the future (can you win the lottery if you don't play it?). Next step is for me to get a towball and bike rack so I can explore further afield.

As for legal greenlaning, it's so difficult to do. I tried to find out what were legal lanes in my area and had to go to the council offices and look at paper maps which were not very helpful. Plus existing riders in the area weren't helping the public image. We walked on the local mountain on one occasion and moved aside for a group of riders, one of which deliberately headed for a big puddle to splash up and soak us with dirty water. One of the riders behind shouted a sorry, but that guy is the type that gets everyone reported.

clanky

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2014
Lincolnshire
I love to go walking in the wonderful countryside we have around here and kept finding myself torn on sunny days. If I went out on my motorbike then I was stuck on the road as I wasn't dressed for waking, and if I walked then I couldn't have the fun of the bike and was limited as to how far my feet could carry me. I wished there was a way to do both, which seemed impossible after I had discounted the practicalities of me getting a trail bike. Then 6 months ago a light bulb lit up over my head and I googled 'electric mountain bike' not expecting them to exist. To my delight they did and the rest is history. I'm definitely sad to sell my motorbike and I've been dragging my feet about putting it up for sale, but I wasn't getting out on it much and couldn't afford all the ongoing costs of it anyway. I won't sell all my motorbike gear in case circumstances change in the future (can you win the lottery if you don't play it?). Next step is for me to get a towball and bike rack so I can explore further afield.

As for legal greenlaning, it's so difficult to do. I tried to find out what were legal lanes in my area and had to go to the council offices and look at paper maps which were not very helpful. Plus existing riders in the area weren't helping the public image. We walked on the local mountain on one occasion and moved aside for a group of riders, one of which deliberately headed for a big puddle to splash up and soak us with dirty water. One of the riders behind shouted a sorry, but that guy is the type that gets everyone reported.
I can't actually see "green lanes" existing in 10 years time. Most of them are already shut to motorised vehicles in my area. It seems the councils favourite trick is to ban motorised vehicles from half way along so you can't actually do a full ride! With bikers, as usual it's the few spoiling it for everyone else - 4x4's stand totally apart because they purposefully create massive bogs to get stuck in for fun and wrecking the local ecology.

Shutting greelanes probably won't make any difference though as people will use them with unregistered bikes. Hopefully electric bike riders will naturally be more responsible as many will appreciate walking as well as riding.