Hi - I have a few questions about what to choose?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OK... so what can be done to change this situation
Nothing can be practically done. Our EAPC law is EU law that we are tied into regardless of Brexit. They aren't going to change that non-issue for us, especially after the way in which we fouled it up for twelve years contrary to their 2003 legal order, plus the ongoing ill will between us.

Closest approved vehicle testing station is one hour drive away on motorway and I have no idea how to get there on e-bike unless one has a car.
Pity Northern Ireland in the UK. They have no testing station and have to use those in Great Britain. With only 1.8 million people they can't justify having one, so even if the law changed they couldn't gain from it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Aren't lawyers smart and paid enough to download an update of some sort?
I was only referring to examples that have been altered anyway, to show how common they have been in the past. So no need for updates to them.

The present issue of kit bike non-existence in law isn't going to be addressed as I've explained. The present system of ignoring them where necessary is working universally without problems, though they might appear if our government make any more silly decisions, like the way they've paired e-scooters with pedelecs in their minds.

Another factor why the EU will not amend their law is that the problem you have is unique to Great Britain due to our unique way of specifying a type of motorised vehicle is permitted on our roads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All of this malarky is the reason I decided to build an electric moped. I don’t want to ride at only 15mph, but I also want to ride legally.
Again, your project sounds really interesting - where is your Puchus Maximus conversion thread? Will you be able to insure it?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
There is a lot of work involved. I have fabricated most of it and tested it, but I’m not ready to post anything yet. It’s a bit like Saneagles secret build. These things take ages to plan and build from scratch.

I‘m currently painting stuff, but it’s not the best time of the year to lay down paint because it not really warm enough.

I also have to make sure it’s built to pass an mot because I want it in the road before it’s 40th birthday. So it’s things like the rear hydraulic brake assembly that needs a fluid level sightglass. Indicators that need to be minimum distance apart and lighting that meets mot standard. And various other things.

Insurance isn’t a problem. I have that in hand through Bikesure.

Also it won’t be a speed Pedelec because it won’t have any peddles, so I’m not sure it will be acceptable to post on this forum.

Here is a teaser photo, the frame was a bit scabby with plenty of pitting under the paint, so that needed to be addressed to get it ready for top coat.

IMG_0102.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Also it won’t be a speed Pedelec because it won’t have any peddles, so I’m not sure it will be acceptable to post on this forum.
Finally somebody with balls who is not afraid to make a moped without pedals.
Please take many pictures. We are looking forward to see how project will evolve.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perfectly ok, the Speed Pedelecs forum includes motor propulsion beyond 15mph without mention of pedals, which isn't allowed on any pedelecs normally. Also e-bikes used in other countries, and in China lots of what they call e-bikes have no pedals:

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Ok I will start a build thread on Speed Pedelecs when I’m in a better position to post something useful. It will be a month or two though, so don’t hold your breath.

I’m currently debating with myself whether to use acrylic paint instead of cellulose. I haven’t sprayed acrylic before.

Reactions: guerney and flecc