Hi - I'm looking for high speed pedelec commuting

efroome

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2017
stafford
Hi fellow pelelecs,

Im aiming to save the world by commuting around 23miles each way within a set budget and time bracket. The budget is £800 and the time bracket is 1hr ish.

So here is my entry. A 7year old carrera TDF with a £699 UK Legal bafang BBS01 (Current total weight is around 15kg). Below is the bike in all its glory and screenshot of my first commute, 1hr 8 with an average of slightly over 20mph. Quite pleased with the result but to bring that time down I need to shed a few more pounds off with out spending too much.

1. New lighter Stem
2. New pedal arms (I assume any will work ?)
3. Custom larger crank (Lekkie if I can find a cheap second hand one)
4. Carbon forks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2g9Po0btwPyWEVOWEpRUHotUDZHc1pKb2hqaXZfN0dHQ0dv

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2g9Po0btwPyem5CdDNhNTQwOUlXM1hnQXlVTjQxNDdMejRz

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi fellow pelelecs,

Im aiming to save the world by commuting around 23miles each way within a set budget and time bracket. The budget is £800 and the time bracket is 1hr ish.

So here is my entry. A 7year old carrera TDF with a £699 UK Legal bafang BBS01 (Current total weight is around 15kg). Below is the bike in all its glory and screenshot of my first commute, 1hr 8 with an average of slightly over 20mph. Quite pleased with the result but to bring that time down I need to shed a few more pounds off with out spending too much.

1. New lighter Stem
2. New pedal arms (I assume any will work ?)
3. Custom larger crank (Lekkie if I can find a cheap second hand one)
4. Carbon forks

Your pictures didn't work.

You can mount Shimano Steps pedal arms, they have a nice Q factor or any square taper pedal arms where you have a left and a right one available.
Here is a selection of cranks you can just bolt on: https://www.dutchbikebits.com/alligt/

You can turn your Amps up a bit on the Bafang controller and set top speed to 45 km/h. With a big chainwheel and more Amps you risk frying the controller if you don't start off in low gear, these motors don't like being bogged down.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
To play devil's avocado

Those tiny weight gains on an ebikeb don't make much sense. They will make little difference

Do you carry a backpack or anything? How much does it weigh? And after a few weeks/months commuting I find it amazing how my pack grows in weight over time. I swear it has same stuff........and just a few bits of accumulated crap. Empty the crap and I'm always shocked at weight loss. I even saved nearly half a kilo by ditching the cheapo work issue laptop backpack

And , of course, have a poo before you leave in morning!:)

The other proper weight loss is battery. What have you got? Eg a 10ah battery can be made from 40 x 2500 mah cells or 30 x 3250 mah cells ( more or less)

Big weight diff.

And do you really need the Ah you have ? Could you have less and charge at work ? ( new charger less than a tenner on Chinese slow boat)

Plus as already stated you can play with settings

efroome

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2017
stafford
@anotherkiwi Thanks for pedal arm link and pointing out the broken images. Do you have to hotrod to increase the amps ? Yeah I get the risks around burning out the motor and I always go to lower gears for starting etc ! :)

@spanos thanks for the response and yeah I suspect your right, but its fun trying to get the bike weight down all the same ! I have a 9ah battery so can't really do much in that area. My own weight is probably the real saving that can be made and I can loose that for free ! :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
@anotherkiwi Thanks for pedal arm link and pointing out the broken images. Do you have to hotrod to increase the amps ? Yeah I get the risks around burning out the motor and I always go to lower gears for starting etc ! :)

@spanos thanks for the response and yeah I suspect your right, but its fun trying to get the bike weight down all the same ! I have a 9ah battery so can't really do much in that area. My own weight is probably the real saving that can be made and I can loose that for free ! :)
Reprogram via cable which is available from various places in the UK.

D

Deleted member 4366

It might not be such a good idea to increase the current much. Can you give a link to exactly which battery you have? Don't forget that range will go down more or less in direct proportion to the current increase.