Hi: Newbie from across the Irish Sea

Hobble

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 7, 2015
Hi there,

have been pedelec curious for a while now but lost my would be base bike (GT Aggressor XC3) when it was stolen. New bike ordered, a Boardman hybrid, which I'm currently planning to Bafang BBS central motorise as my commuter. Have about 13 miles each way commute from the burbs to the city centre with few big hills in between.

Anyway, will probably be asking questions once I have first put on a few miles on the Boardman without a motor.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
good choice.

Hobble

Dec 7, 2015
Cheers Trex, Cyclezee. Thanks for that. As a matter of fact I have been browsing at eclipse and also wooshbikes for the kit. Looks like prices are very similar and both seem to have good feedback ratings.

Paulturn

Oct 26, 2015
New Ross Killkenny Eire
Hi there ,fellow eire dweller,down in rural Kilkenny here,looking to convert a carrera fury here sometime in new year.
Got a comute of 14 rural hilly roads here that could be mixed with bit of woodland too .

Will we get clobbered with extra vat here on import of goods from uk.
Did so with a code reader recently thru e-bay tho it did come from china in the end ,although a uk seller.

May get a uk friend to order/deliver items ??

Last edited:

Hobble

Dec 7, 2015
Yeah, the extra VAT is a pain adding extra few tenners on large purchases. Some vendors don't bother doing it though.

Hobble

Dec 7, 2015
Hi all, just thought I'll post the conclusion for this which is that I have ended up putting about 2800 km on my last December purchased bike with pedal power only, typically twice a work week. Still interested in going to the pedelec route "at some stage" but so far I have enjoyed the muscle power only.

Currently toying an idea of buying a second bike to convert but need to sort out my parking arrangements first.