Hi

Ruadh495

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Hi, I've just decided to register here after lurking for a bit. I'm just at the stage of collecting parts for an e-bike project. My aim is to replace a small motorbike on my 12.5mile rural commute. I have a bike which I think will be suitable, a Dutch style gents bike with a Sachs three speed and drum brakes. I'm planning a front drive conversion, partly to keep the gear hub and chaincase and partly because I like the idea of all wheel drive... Big front racks are common on Dutch bikes, so I'm going to put my battery at the front. Currently I have the rack and a disk brake fork (can't use the drum with a motor) under my desk and I'm waiting for the battery to become available so the kit supplier can send out the conversion kit. I've done the route on the bike as a pedal cycle, and it's OK, just takes a bit too long and there's a couple of killer hills.

I've got a few questions still, as you might expect. The main one is: Will it be legal? I'm going for a 250W kit, so it should be, but the way I understand the law is this: If it has a motor it's a motor vehicle. There are specific exceptions for bicycles which meet certain requirements allowing them to be treated as pedal cycles. These bicycles need to be marked by the manufacturer to show they meet these requirements. A conversion doesn't have the marking. Am I the "manufacturer" and can plate it myself, like a trailer? Or will it become an unregistered moped just because it doesn't have a proper type approval plate? Is any conversion legal?

I can't afford to just buy a legal e-bike, by selling the motorbike I can just about finance the conversion.

How difficult is getting a 500W conversion registered as a low power moped (MSVA)? Insurance is always a good idea and my motorcycle helmet isn't horrible to wear. Anyone go that route? At least it would be clear that it was legal.

Thanks,

Roy