Hi

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
Hi, I've been reading a fair bit about e-bikes and getting tempted /excited about the idea. But can't find any info regarding the weight of rider and what spec is needed.

I'm 6'5" (196cm) and about 110-115kg.

Would a uk legal 250W shift me up a decent hill or isn't it worth it?

Seems daft that rider weight isn't inclued in the uk regulations tbh as a 5ft 50kg rider would probably fly around on those specs.

Any advices/thoughts/opinions welcome thanks!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its 120kg for most bikes so you are ok and most will get you up a decent hill and 20 miles more.;)

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
There really should be a 'Wanted' section in this forum. I'm sure that there's plenty of helpful members around the UK that'd let you have a go on their bikes. Subject to handing over the keys to your Maserati first of course. :D

Best to try one first Domm.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi, I've been reading a fair bit about e-bikes and getting tempted /excited about the idea. But can't find any info regarding the weight of rider and what spec is needed.

I'm 6'5" (196cm) and about 110-115kg.

Would a uk legal 250W shift me up a decent hill or isn't it worth it?

Seems daft that rider weight isn't inclued in the uk regulations tbh as a 5ft 50kg rider would probably fly around on those specs.

Any advices/thoughts/opinions welcome thanks!
Depends what you mean by 'shift you up a decent hill'.

Full speed throttles are being phased out anyway, but you will have to put in some effort on a 250W bike to climb steep hills.

A lighter rider than you might be able to get up a hill faster, but there are other variables, you might be stronger which would cancel your weight disadvantage.

Trying a couple of ebikes will give you a good idea of what they are a capable of.

Some legal bikes climb a bit better than others, but the difference is relatively narrow.

Domm

Pedelecer
Jul 5, 2016
Sussex
Thanks guys. I'm lucky in that there's a 50 cycles near me ( I think in an area with no hills though!) so I'll try some out.

Am I right in seeing this as a problem with the regulations though? Or isn't rider weight significant? If it is maybe they should be petitioned to change?

I don't really care about top speed on flat as I can manage that myself. It's dragging my lazy arse up hills that I care about! Specifying a one size fits all motor for this doesn't seem to make sense. I may burn out a 250W motor and a reckless 50kg teenager may be flying around dangerously on the same motor and yet be perfectly legal.

• Agree
Reactions: Tabs and LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks guys. I'm lucky in that there's a 50 cycles near me ( I think in an area with no hills though!) so I'll try some out.

Am I right in seeing this as a problem with the regulations though? Or isn't rider weight significant? If it is maybe they should be petitioned to change?

I don't really care about top speed on flat as I can manage that myself. It's dragging my lazy arse up hills that I care about! Specifying a one size fits all motor for this doesn't seem to make sense. I may burn out a 250W motor and a reckless 50kg teenager may be flying around dangerously on the same motor and yet be perfectly legal.
Rider weight is not as significant as you appear to think it may be - within reasonable limits.

The motors are relatively weedy, a 50kg teenager is not going to be pulling wheelies on a legal ebike while you struggle to get over the camber in the road.

• Informative
Reactions: cyberdyne_systems