hill climber

joe386

Just Joined
Mar 22, 2017
whitby
Hi i have a old volt alpine x at moment im looking to upgrade to something with a bit more power i need it to climb hills easy , i have been looking at the stromer st1 is there anything else out there as good any advice would be great thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The sv650 is a good hill climber and can be got for £4K secondhand.

• :D
Reactions: Artstu

2Lazy

Pedelecer
Jul 17, 2013
Milton Keynes
The Alpine X has the 8fun BPM motor which is certainly no slouch. If you need more power for hill climbing it might be worth considering a crank drive bike.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Joe, You shouldn't be disappointed with the Bosch Performance CX or the Yamaha motor systems. The new Yamaha PWx has even more to give on hills.
The Stromer uses a TDCM direct drive motor and it won't be as good as the above crank drives.
If I can help further pls pop to the website and email me.
PS You can see some special offers here.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

joe386

Just Joined
Mar 22, 2017
whitby
Hi Joe, You shouldn't be disappointed with the Bosch Performance CX or the Yamaha motor systems. The new Yamaha PWx has even more to give on hills.
The Stromer uses a TDCM direct drive motor and it won't be as good as the above crank drives.
If I can help further pls pop to the website and email me.
PS You can see some special offers here.
thanks for advice ill look at the website

D

Deleted member 4366

Any of the Volt bikes with an X after the name are the high power ones.

Woosh Big Bear is not bad for climbing.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
After a year on a cheap ebike, I found a major consideration was starting on a steep incline. I used the throttle but repeated use may have caused the motor to fail. I think I am going for hub gears because of all the stopping and starting in traffic. Chain stretching was a problem a swell.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I was just looking back through some of the photos from my climbing exploits in the Alps, and spotted this photo that I hadn't previously been aware of.

It could well explain why the bike started to loop, and I didn't make it! :D

At least I gave it my best shot. :)

Reactions: LeighPing

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
Just to clarify, I'm a much better skier than mtbiker.
75% relates to about 37 degrees angle of steepness which is about the same as domestic staircases. No problem to ski that but to cycle up it would take huge skill and definately an electric mtb. I would be better at cycling down that angle and the wife and me have done this a few times in the past. Eddie, I think you're going to run out of rear tyre grip just as you start to flip which will make things interesting?
This is the steepest we've ever cycled down. 1968 Olympic ski run averaging 33 degrees for 700m. The one and only time we did it (both brakes on all the time) someone came past pedaling!
the wall.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: IR772 and LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That is interesting Chris, as the section that I was referring to was this one below which is certainly greater than 37 degrees, so I guess that the sign must have been referring to a different run. I'll find out again July. :)

Edit.. Whatever the gradient, I didn't make it up, and with the altitude and lack of breath, the bike soon became bloody heavy to push. :D

Walk assist didn't want to know either.

Last edited: