Hills

lieinking1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2023
So I have two ebikes. One is can't get me up most hills. The heavy fat tire one has pushed me up hills. There's one hill that gets traffic on it sometimes so in the middle of the night I rode there and stopped on the hill to simulate what could happen. I could not get accelerate after I stopped as the fat tire E-bike is heavy and the assist takes over a second to kick in on that bike. I thought that is dangerous. The bike has a throttle which could give an initial boost but it came dead because of the law. With lighter thin wheeled e bikes can you continue up a steep hill after a stop?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Should do with some pedal input from yourself as long as the gearing allows you to start..

I ride a conversion 250w rear hub drive bike, (see icon).. While my motor alone would not pull me up the steepest of hills round here I can ride up comfortably in a low gear providing some input without sweating panting or puffing at or prior to the crest and remain comfortably in the saddle, ( not an athletic chap, spend time avoiding exertion, not seeking it out..)

Enabling throttle control on your fat bike should be doable, in the worst case it might involve a controller/display 'upgrade' but might be a simple configuration option?? simply omitted from eu/uk manuals.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You may be interested in a thread on Cycling UK, started by Chris Juden.
I've read that thread before - all that "Bafang 250W mid-drive motor" needs is "Keep current" in firmware set to 100%, after which assistance won't dwindle away after his missus starts uphill on low gear (if her battery isn't tiny or running very low on charge [her ebike's battery {I'm not suggesting she's a robot}]).

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
♫ The hills are alive with the sound of...

...straining hub motors ♫

• :D
Reactions: thelarkbox

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
If you can't stop/start on a hill in the dark (or anytime), then to me that's dangerous.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

not seen a road bike in weeks :oops: