Hire bikes in the Peak District.

Creakyknee

Just Joined
May 25, 2011
Derbyshire DE5
Just been watching a report on TV about electric hire bikes in the Peak District at Hassop Station. Looks like a good idea and will probably promote more sales. Apparently scheme will be introduced at 8 tourist spots across the country. Looked like they were using Giant Twist bikes maybe others too. The item will probably be on TV again later this morning, they usually show these things half a dozen times.

BCM

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 24, 2011
I watched it too, a long report must be good for electric bikes, a lot of people don't realise they exist or have images of ungainly electric bikes of years gone by not the stylish ones of today

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It looked a lovely area for cycling......

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I'm hoping to do the Tissington Trail up there this June....have some friends who live at Ashbourne so will combine visit with cycling.
Lynda

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'm hoping to do the Tissington Trail up there this June....have some friends who live at Ashbourne so will combine visit with cycling.
Lynda
I've done part of the Tissington Trail and it's lovely. 13 miles through the Peak District without hitting a hill - it's almost a miracle! If you get more adventurous you can also do the High Peak trail which runs from just outside Matlock Bath and merges up with the Tissington Trail but it's 17 miles and has two steep 1 in 8 climbs at the start so hub motors may struggle.

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
Lynda
Another nice one in the area is from Middleton Top to Parsley Hay (High Peak Trail) the Tissington Trail joins this near Parsley Hay.
We did it a week ago starting at Middleton Top, parking there is £1 by honesty box, there is a cafe at Parsley Hay at which we had a cup of Tea before returning, a distance of just under 24 miles so a nice days cycling

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
We've been hiring out our bikes for the last two years from Eco Republic in Buxton.

We now send riders off with a charger in their panniers and direct them through the lovely undulating lanes that lead through interesting and hospitable villages. Some of the pubs and hotels now understand our customers will want to charge their bikes whilst having some lunch and are quite amenable to the whole concept, which takes riders into the villages, rather than leave them on a lovely, but rather lonely trail.

I have ridden the Tissington Trail most often and enjoy winter trips for the peace and quiet. In summer I choose the village lanes because the trails really do get overwhelmed by walkers and riders. And as a relative local I understand how the village shops and pubs appreciate the business.

The trails are a brilliant introduction to cycling for some, and certainly an important contribution to encouraging people onto better forms of transport. But in summer especially, I prefer to use my electric power for a little wider, 3-dimensional exploration. In winter I have the trails to myself!

And I do have a hankering to see the railways re-laid - fantastic infrastructure that they are.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Another nice one in the area is from Middleton Top to Parsley Hay (High Peak Trail) the Tissington Trail joins this near Parsley Hay.
Good point Biged, I believe you miss out the two 1 in 8 climbs if you start at Middleton Top so probably a better choice for hub motors.