Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
:eek:

And it didn't explode? :rolleyes:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just tried ordering from the UK warehouse because EU is out of stock for 2 months now. They can't or won't ship batteries to France... Brexit is a reality! :D

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Have you seen the e-bike menu choice on the HK site? Down the bottom they have an e-vehicle option. Nothing in the menu yet other than some cameras under e-bike accessory.

D

Deleted member 4366

Left it attached to a brushed.motor kids scooter I was repairing. For a week. The controller drained the pack down to 5v
Anybody that uses lipos will eventually brick a pack somehow or other. You need to add that cost into your considerations.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
  • Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No Multistar in stock for months (!!! how do they make money?) so after exchanging with HK, quite easy if you ask the right questions like why is there plenty of multistar in the UK and none in the EU..., I have ordered some 10000 mAh Graphene because it was on sale and the sale price = Multistar prices. And the tech guy said no problem plugging in parallel with multistar - difference is 10C vs 15C discharge.

On the hunt for chargers and power supplies I fell upon 1200W PC power supplies WTF!!! You could heat my apartment with a 1200W power supply, what the frick is in the PC?!? And so much cheaper than an R/C power supply for DC chargers. Not as pretty but for the price and the Watts provided...

I won't be buying I am going to the tip to chat up the man so that if he gets any PC towers in I'll go up and strip out the power supply. I may get lucky and get a +700 W one or two... Could cost me 10€ in corruption fees... :(

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Have you seen the e-bike menu choice on the HK site? Down the bottom they have an e-vehicle option. Nothing in the menu yet other than some cameras under e-bike accessory.
So you haven't spotted these yet?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/RC_PRODUCT_SEARCH.asp?strSearch=electric+bike

I have been eye balling one of these as a cheap charger for dual batteries.
http://www.banggood.com/G_T_-Power-Dual-7A-80W-1-6S-Lipo-NiMH-NiCd-Battery-Balancing-Charger-p-1082063.html

A bit cheaper than the opposition
https://www.amazon.com/GT-Power-Dual-Battery-Charger/dp/B00DTPDFTQ

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The bikes weren't on the site yet when they put the menu item in. Not very mind blowing are they.

I have an 80W charger, it isn't powerful enough for 6S 10000 mAh, it is limited to about 3.7A. I am looking for a 250 or 300 W charger so that I can charge at 1C (6S = 222 W and 4S 148 W). I think a couple of iChargers will be my choice just because they have so many configuration options and logging with everything in the box. A 750W PC power supply would drive them both, some of those have 2 12V x 30 A outputs...

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all

Hk have got a few good deals on multi star lipo, UK warehouse

E.g. I just bought a couple of 4s 5200mah packs at 15 quid each

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
For the the last 2 or 3 months the only 6S Multistar in stock in the EU is the 800 mAh... :(

The 4S 5200 mAh is at €18.89 = £15.97

If I had to do it all over again from the beginning the 6.6 Ah 4S packs in 2P3S for a 44.4 V - 10.5 Ah (usable) would be in first place because of the form factor, the 6S packs are too bulky. And because it would be easy to charge all at the same time at 1C with a couple of 300 W chargers and a parallel charging board.

All the HK chargers that are of interest are on back order so that makes choosing an iCharger bought locally a very easy decision... After looking around PC power supplies are the best solution for the € even if bought new: 20€ for 12V x 26 A 300W en sorti!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
For the the last 2 or 3 months the only 6S Multistar in stock in the EU is the 800 mAh... :(

The 4S 5200 mAh is at €18.89 = £15.97

If I had to do it all over again from the beginning the 6.6 Ah 4S packs in 2P3S for a 44.4 V - 10.5 Ah (usable) would be in first place because of the form factor, the 6S packs are too bulky. And because it would be easy to charge all at the same time at 1C with a couple of 300 W chargers and a parallel charging board.

All the HK chargers that are of interest are on back order so that makes choosing an iCharger bought locally a very easy decision... After looking around PC power supplies are the best solution for the € even if bought new: 20€ for 12V x 26 A 300W en sorti!
Have you ever considered bulk charging, which would let you charge without having to reconfigure your packs every time?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I only have 4 packs: 2x4S and 2x6S 10000 mAh if I had lots of say 5.2 Ah packs yes it would be an option. I have all the time in the world to charge. I spend way to much time on the internet so being there when the batteries charge isn't a real problem it is only about an hour and a half to bring all of them up from storage to 41.5V. I can read and write lots of things in that time. :)

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
That's what I thought until I switched from RC chargers to a bulk charger, then like anything worth doing, wondered why I hadn't done so sooner.

Just something to consider before spending any more money on charging equipment.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
That's what I thought until I switched from RC chargers to a bulk charger, then like anything worth doing, wondered why I hadn't done so sooner..
What's this bulk charger?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
A bulk charger outputs full pack voltage, negating the need to rearrange packs every time you want to charge. They should be used together with a BMS to pretty much 'foolproof' the charge process, but can be used without one if you know what you're doing.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
A bulk charger outputs full pack voltage, negating the need to rearrange packs every time you want to charge.
Thanks danielrlee, This sound a good idea I would be interested in doing but so I don't take this thread off topic I will start a new post for help on this soon.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That's what I thought until I switched from RC chargers to a bulk charger, then like anything worth doing, wondered why I hadn't done so sooner.

Just something to consider before spending any more money on charging equipment.
So far I haven't spent a lot on chargeurs, about 30€. I don't need to charge more than twice a week. I will pull the trigger on a 300W r/c charger and a 450W PC power supply for a grand total of 90€. If I am pleased I'll get another 300W charger and sell the 80W one for 20€ with power supply which I got free.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My Graphene batteries arrived today. Slightly bulkier than Multistar. I will post a photo of the packaging tomorrow - luxury! I thought I had ordered gold bars by mistake! I paid the same price as full priced Multistar for each. Perfectly balanced at storage voltage according to battery medic.

I also now have a couple of alarms that work at 3.65V! Road test Monday.